Is English/Creative Writing a competitive subject to get into?

Watch
DawnWings
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I'm in S5 but I like to plan ahead. Either due to wanting to be motivated to study and do well in my exams or that I'm desperate to leave high school 💀

I'm interested in english and creative writing and I hopefully picked the rights subjects for it (english and social subjects) but I was wondering how competitive it is as a subject. I know it isn't as crazy as getting in for medical school, most English required grades I've seen seem to be either AABB or AAAB at Scottish Highers but I wasn't sure of admission rates for the degree itself, is it quite a popular subject or quite competitive?

The unis I'm considering applying for in S6 are:
• Dundee Uni (My first choice)
• Aberdeen Uni
• Edinburgh Napier Uni

Other unis I've looked at are:
•Strathclyde Uni
•Highlands and Islands Uni

Does anyone know any information about popularity of the courses in these unis or admission rates?
Advertisement
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DawnWings)
Hello, I'm in S5 but I like to plan ahead. Either due to wanting to be motivated to study and do well in my exams or that I'm desperate to leave high school 💀

I'm interested in english and creative writing and I hopefully picked the rights subjects for it (english and social subjects) but I was wondering how competitive it is as a subject. I know it isn't as crazy as getting in for medical school, most English required grades I've seen seem to be either AABB or AAAB at Scottish Highers but I wasn't sure of admission rates for the degree itself, is it quite a popular subject or quite competitive?

The unis I'm considering applying for in S6 are:
• Dundee Uni (My first choice)
• Aberdeen Uni
• Edinburgh Napier Uni

Other unis I've looked at are:
•Strathclyde Uni
•Highlands and Islands Uni

Does anyone know any information about popularity of the courses in these unis or admission rates?
Hey there DawnWings

I think it's great that you're so on the ball with researching things like this- it will make your life much easier when it comes to applying to uni in S6! :yep:

Different universities have differing levels of demand for degrees so you'll maybe find that this varies. I'd definitely recommend reaching out to admissions staff to ask what they would like to see from you over the next year or two (at least do this for Dundee first if they're your #1 choice!). We'll be able to tell you in detail about the process for our courses.

At Strathclyde, our BA English/English & Creative Writing degrees are taught under our BA Humanities degree programme. There's tons of flexibility with this (as you'll study 2 other subjects in your first year), and the course is also quite competitive. We look for candidates normally with at least AAB by the end of S5 if they're to receive a conditional offer The standard entry requirements are AAAA by end of S5 or AAAAB by the end of S6 (Higher English B and Nat 5 Maths normally B). You may also be eligible for an adjusted offer if you fall under any of our Widening Access criteria.

My top advice is to get in touch with unis directly so you know what you're working towards If you're considering leaving school after S5- ask how you can make your application more competitive against S6 applicants. Find out what different unis like to see in Personal Statements too. Keep an eye out for any virtual open days and visiting opportunities!

Best of luck with it!
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (35)
22.44%
Note taking apps (5)
3.21%
Flashcards (29)
18.59%
Revision guides (5)
3.21%
Past papers (76)
48.72%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise