The Student Room Group

Meeting A-G for UCs

I am asking this question for my son. He is studying in UK. Just completed his GCSE and now doing A-levels
When applying to UCs (university of California, USA), they ask for a requirement (A-G) including 2 years of history, 4 years of English and 1 year of visual arts. My son has Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths in his A-levels. So he does not meet these requirements. How can he still be eligible?
Original post by shukla2
I am asking this question for my son. He is studying in UK. Just completed his GCSE and now doing A-levels
When applying to UCs (university of California, USA), they ask for a requirement (A-G) including 2 years of history, 4 years of English and 1 year of visual arts. My son has Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths in his A-levels. So he does not meet these requirements. How can he still be eligible?

Should be fine.

He would have done English, Maths, History, and probably Music at the start of his time in secondary. That should be enough. Notice how it talks about "Secondary Education" and not "High School".

The UCs will have an international admissions officer who will have knowledge of how the UK system works.

If I may ask, though, why the UCs? They're extremely expensive and very difficult to get into as an international student due to being public schools (and highly selective anyway).
Original post by ry7xsfa
Should be fine.

He would have done English, Maths, History, and probably Music at the start of his time in secondary. That should be enough. Notice how it talks about "Secondary Education" and not "High School".

The UCs will have an international admissions officer who will have knowledge of how the UK system works.

If I may ask, though, why the UCs? They're extremely expensive and very difficult to get into as an international student due to being public schools (and highly selective anyway).

Agree with the above- I know of several people who went through the UK system in the past few years and were admitted to various UniCalifornias without issue (though needing to pay full fees of 65k/year). They are well aware of the set-up in British schools.
Also agree that they are very expensive for what they are: generally high-level, but State schools with enormous lectures/possible difficulties in getting in the desired course, and very little student support. Though you mostly get great weather...
Original post by Anonymous
Agree with the above- I know of several people who went through the UK system in the past few years and were admitted to various UniCalifornias without issue (though needing to pay full fees of 65k/year). They are well aware of the set-up in British schools.
Also agree that they are very expensive for what they are: generally high-level, but State schools with enormous lectures/possible difficulties in getting in the desired course, and very little student support. Though you mostly get great weather...

California weather is good, particularly SoCal. Still high 20s here in December.
Original post by ry7xsfa
California weather is good, particularly SoCal. Still high 20s here in December.

Don’t gloat 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending