Struggling with uni

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I love uni, it’s the best decision I’ve ever made, I’ve found my best friends, we’ve got a house for next year and the work is interesting.
(I do law)
But I’m struggling to get to grips with a little bit of it, some info is really hard and the reading takes forever.
Everything gets done, usually same week and I try to get essential reading for lectures done same day as the lecture (not that this is working out anymore)
But I just feel so behind because I’ve got this weeks reading to do and a summative assessment to finish
UCLan Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I love uni, it’s the best decision I’ve ever made, I’ve found my best friends, we’ve got a house for next year and the work is interesting.
(I do law)
But I’m struggling to get to grips with a little bit of it, some info is really hard and the reading takes forever.
Everything gets done, usually same week and I try to get essential reading for lectures done same day as the lecture (not that this is working out anymore)
But I just feel so behind because I’ve got this weeks reading to do and a summative assessment to finish
Hi,

It sounds like you're making really great progress and you are clearly keen to do well but perhaps you're being a little hard on yourself?
It is difficult to keep up a high tempo and it's vital to find a good balance. Speak to classmates, how do they find the work? Are they struggling?
Are your expectations realistic? Perhaps you could form study groups to help with motivation, or talk to your tutors and student services for help with timetabling, speed reading and organisation.
Essentially you want to avoid drifting away from a good work ethic but you also need to accept the natural ebb and flow and give yourself time away from study.

Best wishes
Andy
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(I do law)
Hiya,

It's great to hear that you're enjoying the general freedom that university life grants you, but there's always the difficult side of the actual work required. I personally find that it really helps to create a To-Do List when things are becoming overwhelming for you. Sit yourself down and create a list of things you need to get done this week, then create one for the next week. You'll see that there may not be so much and that your head is making everything busier than it really is. Then, you can go along and cross off what you've got done, which I've always found quite satisfying.

This synergised with a calendar can really help to plot at what parts of the week and day you're gonna sit yourself down and do what you need to get done. Saying this, please don't overload yourself, know your limits. Keep balance in your life, and I'm sure you'll still get the grades you desire while still enjoying your time at uni.

Hope this helps!
Quinn - Official SHU Student Ambassador
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(I do law)
Hi,
Sorry to hear you are feeling this way. It seems like you are managing your time really well and staying on top of things. It's easy to feel overwhelmed in the first few weeks or even months of university as it can be a big change and there is a lot of work to be done. When you are struggling I would suggest reaching out to your tutor as soon as possible to get some clarification rather than leaving it and becoming more confused as time goes on.

I also enjoy making to do lists to stay on top of my work and having those goals to work towards. It can help to break your work load down into smaller chunks like this.

As an outsider looking in I wouldn't say you are behind at all really. Try not to let the feeling of being behind make you become behind due to worrying about it. Set yourself small hourly goals maybe to do little bits of reading at a time to try and break it up.

Hope this helped.
Kasey - ULaw Student Ambassador
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(I do law)
Hello

Firstly its great that you're loving uni! Im glad to hear its the best decision you've ever made, i can honestly say the same.

But it is also okay to reach out for help and ask for support when you need it. Im sure your lecturers wont mind you asking them questions if you are confused by the content they are teaching, they are there to support you as well as teach you.

If your uni has learning support tutors, they might call them something a bit different, then they could really help you too in terms of writing assignments and structuring them. If you are unsure if your uni has something like this, then best to ask your personal tutor as they will be able to point you in the right direction.

Everyone struggles with uni content, after all, you've not an expert (yet!). So dont be afraid to reach out for the support you need.

Hope this helps!

Andrew
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (17)
7.17%
October 2021 (116)
48.95%
November 2021 (23)
9.7%
December 2021 (31)
13.08%
January 2021 (21)
8.86%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (22)
9.28%