Leaving my MSc early?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I started a 1 year long MSc back in September this year and I am now considering dropping out but not sure if it's a good idea or not.

[Sorry this is going to be a long one]

This course was my dream course, and I was really looking forward to starting it. However, it is way more intense than I thought it was going to be (and I knew beforehand it would be intense and a lot of work). It doesn't help that I have to work a part time job. By intense I mean, as soon as I am up I start uni work, then I go to work in the evening, come back and have dinner just to get started on uni work again until bedtime. I am even having to work weekends to get all my work in.
The course is partially online with some weeks have 1-4 days in person. When I have in person uni sessions I have to commute about 1 hour and 45 minutes, sometimes having to get to uni for 8am which means starting my day at 5:30am. The early mornings aren't too much of a problem, but it means when I get home from uni I am too tired to work and do more uni work.
Basically I am just exhausted and feel completely burnt out and stressed.

I want to carry on the course and complete my Masters as it's what I want to do, but I am worried that I am not going to enjoy my time and get sick from the stress/workload etc. Also, if I quit I will feel like a failure and a disappointment and I would be embarrassed to tell people I couldn't finish the course. Also, I am unsure if this will hurt any future job applications? However, leaving the course means I wouldn't be as stressed anymore, I would get some free/rest time back and I could get a full-time job and earn money so wouldn't financially struggle anymore. And on the plus side if I quit after this term I will at least get my PgCert.

I am really conflicted as to what to do, any help? TIA
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Would they let you go part time and complete the degree over 2 years?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Would they let you go part time and complete the degree over 2 years?
Unfortunately not, they only do it full time over 1 year, but part time would be a more ideal option for me.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Unfortunately not, they only do it full time over 1 year, but part time would be a more ideal option for me.
Have you had any discussions with your personal tutor about how you're feeling? They might be able to put support in place that you haven't thought of.

It sounds like you're in a no-win situation in terms of your perspective on your opinions, so talking to someone at your university should provide a different view.
Kat_xo
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Have you had any discussions with your personal tutor about how you're feeling? They might be able to put support in place that you haven't thought of.

It sounds like you're in a no-win situation in terms of your perspective on your opinions, so talking to someone at your university should provide a different view.
Thank you for your response!

We don't have personal tutors unfortunately, but I have contacted the course coordinator and the student advice team but only received a response of them acknowledging my situation and suggesting well-being help (i.e. meditation etc.) which is not really of help to my situation.

It really is a no-win situation as either way I'll be happy about one aspect but sad/disappointed about another. I have spoken to family and friends and they all say it's only me who can decide what is right for me, which is fair enough but I still don't know what the right thing to do is.
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kat_xo)
Thank you for your response!

We don't have personal tutors unfortunately, but I have contacted the course coordinator and the student advice team but only received a response of them acknowledging my situation and suggesting well-being help (i.e. meditation etc.) which is not really of help to my situation.

It really is a no-win situation as either way I'll be happy about one aspect but sad/disappointed about another. I have spoken to family and friends and they all say it's only me who can decide what is right for me, which is fair enough but I still don't know what the right thing to do is.
Rather than work part time is it a reasonable option to borrow the money that you need? Will your higher qualification lead to a well paid job that would allow you to repay the extra debt in an efficient manner?
Kat_xo
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Rather than work part time is it a reasonable option to borrow the money that you need? Will your higher qualification lead to a well paid job that would allow you to repay the extra debt in an efficient manner?
As I am now, I wouldn't be eligible for any type of loan nor do I have anyone I can borrow that much money from. And to be honest, I wouldn't want the stress of paying back that amount of money and be in debt that bad at all. This degree would likely lead to a well paid job, but it is not guaranteed, even so I would not like the idea of being in debt/owing money.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As I am now, I wouldn't be eligible for any type of loan nor do I have anyone I can borrow that much money from. And to be honest, I wouldn't want the stress of paying back that amount of money and be in debt that bad at all. This degree would likely lead to a well paid job, but it is not guaranteed, even so I would not like the idea of being in debt/owing money.
Are you eligible for the postgraduate loan from Student Finance?
Kat_xo
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Are you eligible for the postgraduate loan from Student Finance?
Yes, I already have this. But unfortunately this only covers about 90% of my tuition fees let alone covering the cost of rent/bills/travel/food etc. hence the having to work part time. I have checked all scholarships/bursaries/extra funding for those with financial difficulties but unfortunately I am not eligible for those either. My parents help me out as much as possible which I am grateful for and know that many people do not even have that luxury, but it's still a struggle. To be honest, even without working part time the course would be incredibly intense and tiring.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes, I already have this. But unfortunately this only covers about 90% of my tuition fees let alone covering the cost of rent/bills/travel/food etc. hence the having to work part time. I have checked all scholarships/bursaries/extra funding for those with financial difficulties but unfortunately I am not eligible for those either. My parents help me out as much as possible which I am grateful for and know that many people do not even have that luxury, but it's still a struggle. To be honest, even without working part time the course would be incredibly intense and tiring.
Could you contact your university about their hardship fund? It might take the pressure off for a while.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (52)
22.13%
Note taking apps (6)
2.55%
Flashcards (45)
19.15%
Revision guides (14)
5.96%
Past papers (111)
47.23%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (7)
2.98%

Watched Threads