The Student Room Group

Alcohol use

So I am a student 24M at a healthy weight 160lbs I have been drinking a fair amount I’d say amount more like a few pints every other week sometimes I would get a crate of beer I would take a day or two off booze I’ve recently developed sharp nerve pain lower left of the abdomen and I have been drinking pretty much throughout the year

I’m coming up to the end of Uni and want to enjoy the last remaining in university but since Christmas and obvs everyone would liked drink at this kind of time I have also been diagnosed for a hernia a few weeks ago I’m not sure if it’s to do with that but I don’t want one day where I drink and suddenly everything goes bad

I know this isn’t the right place to ask but I’m just a bit concerned I feel healthy lost a lot of weight during lockdown but was wondering if any of you drinkers have had an experience of nerve pain or liver damage I don’t want to die from drinking so I’m just a little worried
Original post by Jamesx199612
So I am a student 24M at a healthy weight 160lbs I have been drinking a fair amount I’d say amount more like a few pints every other week sometimes I would get a crate of beer I would take a day or two off booze I’ve recently developed sharp nerve pain lower left of the abdomen and I have been drinking pretty much throughout the year

I’m coming up to the end of Uni and want to enjoy the last remaining in university but since Christmas and obvs everyone would liked drink at this kind of time I have also been diagnosed for a hernia a few weeks ago I’m not sure if it’s to do with that but I don’t want one day where I drink and suddenly everything goes bad

I know this isn’t the right place to ask but I’m just a bit concerned I feel healthy lost a lot of weight during lockdown but was wondering if any of you drinkers have had an experience of nerve pain or liver damage I don’t want to die from drinking so I’m just a little worried

As for the symptoms - see your GP if you're concerned about any aspect of your health.

Your post is a bit confusing: you say 'I have been drinking a fair amount', but then you say 'a few pints every other week', which isn't remotely heavy drinking! Which is it? How much actually are you drinking each week?
Original post by Reality Check
As for the symptoms - see your GP if you're concerned about any aspect of your health.

Your post is a bit confusing: you say 'I have been drinking a fair amount', but then you say 'a few pints every other week', which isn't remotely heavy drinking! Which is it? How much actually are you drinking each week?

Sometimes I would get a crate of beer so roughly 12 beers and then some days I would just get 4 pack or 8 pack
Sometimes I would get a crate of beer so roughly 12 beers and then some days I would just get 4 pack or 8 pack

Daily, or weekly? What size bottle/can - 330mL?

So, how many 330mL cans or bottles of normal strength (3.5–4%) beer are you drinking each week?
Daily, or weekly? What size bottle/can - 330mL?

So, how many 330mL cans or bottles of normal strength (3.5–4%) beer are you drinking each week?

% wise it would be 5% in terms of beers mainly bottles but I would also drink out of cans as well I know other people I know can consume alot more than me but the amount I drink is concerning a few pints and if I’m not a bar I would get beers ranging from 8 to 12 but not every single day I would just have a few pints typically 3 or 4 at most if I’m out
% wise it would be 5% in terms of beers mainly bottles but I would also drink out of cans as well I know other people I know can consume alot more than me but the amount I drink is concerning a few pints and if I’m not a bar I would get beers ranging from 8 to 12 but not every single day I would just have a few pints typically 3 or 4 at most if I’m out

OK, I'm still not entirely clear on how much you drink each week, but if it's 3 or 4 pints on most days, then that is problematic drinking.

Try using this calculator and have a read of the information on the website:

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/tools/unit-and-calorie-calculator
OK, I'm still not entirely clear on how much you drink each week, but if it's 3 or 4 pints on most days, then that is problematic drinking.

Try using this calculator and have a read of the information on the website:

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/tools/unit-and-calorie-calculator

I used it and the calculator resulted into 5 units but times that to a year of drinking but for me personally I’m not drinking an excessive amount so I do take days off if that makes any sense but mainly I drink almost every day throughout the the year but will take a break from it I don’t particularly want to end up in the hospital as I want to enjoy Christmas time

Quick Reply

Latest