The Student Room Group

Why is bullying not a crime?

France has done something very based and will make school bullies face jail, and a maximum fine for them of 150,000 Euro. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/02/school-bullies-face-up-to-10-years-jail-under-law-approved-by-french-mps

So why don't we do the same here? I was bullied and was left with depression, I was too afraid to leave my house, had nightmares, hid my face wheenver in public, hid my face whenever in school, had no social life and the lowest self esteem for years. these children stole my childhood from me, my youth, and yet they never got punished. There has been a lot of focus in the Uk media lately about "catcalling", and making misogyny a crime, but why not bullying? Bullying targets people of all sexes, religions, races and backgrounds. It links directly to the problem of mental health which has arisen recently. In my opinion, bullying in schools should be criminalised, with low level bullying (name calling etc) meaning children face mandatory exclusions, with themselves and their parents fined, and serious bullying (theft, assault, persistent abuse of a racist, sexist, religous or personal nature) subject to exclusion, a 6-12 month stay in prison, and a similarly high fine as the French propose. Bullying is tolerated and normalised in schools. So many people experience it, yet its seen as something we just simply have to somehow accept and tolerate. sentiments about "character building" still remain. Bullying results in death, often through sui*de. In the school I attended, where I was bullied mercilessly, an Autistic boy was hung from a tree. Yes, this is true. If that happened in public, aka, on the street, the person would probably face charges of attempted murder. Yet it's viewed as if anything behind closed doors is acceptable - at least, in schools. the same wouldn't happen if it happened in a home. Schools should also have a mandatory requirement to report bullying like this and should expel the perpetrators. Whose with me?

Scroll to see replies

France has done something very based and will make school bullies face jail, and a maximum fine for them of 150,000 Euro. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/02/school-bullies-face-up-to-10-years-jail-under-law-approved-by-french-mps

So why don't we do the same here? I was bullied and was left with depression, I was too afraid to leave my house, had nightmares, hid my face wheenver in public, hid my face whenever in school, had no social life and the lowest self esteem for years. these children stole my childhood from me, my youth, and yet they never got punished. There has been a lot of focus in the Uk media lately about "catcalling", and making misogyny a crime, but why not bullying? Bullying targets people of all sexes, religions, races and backgrounds. It links directly to the problem of mental health which has arisen recently. In my opinion, bullying in schools should be criminalised, with low level bullying (name calling etc) meaning children face mandatory exclusions, with themselves and their parents fined, and serious bullying (theft, assault, persistent abuse of a racist, sexist, religous or personal nature) subject to exclusion, a 6-12 month stay in prison, and a similarly high fine as the French propose. Bullying is tolerated and normalised in schools. So many people experience it, yet its seen as something we just simply have to somehow accept and tolerate. sentiments about "character building" still remain. Bullying results in death, often through suicide. In the school I attended, where I was bullied mercilessly, an Autistic boy was hung from a tree. Yes, this is true. If that happened in public, aka, on the street, the person would probably face charges of attempted murder. Yet it's viewed as if anything behind closed doors is acceptable - at least, in schools. the same wouldn't happen if it happened in a home. Schools should also have a mandatory requirement to report bullying like this and should expel the perpetrators. Whose with me?
I agree. There should definitely be some kind of punishment.

I was so close to killing myself when I was 12 and, like you, I feel these people robbed my childhood from me.
Original post by Sabertooth
I agree. There should definitely be some kind of punishment.

I was so close to killing myself when I was 12 and, like you, I feel these people robbed my childhood from me.

Yeah I was very badly bullied when I was 11-12 first year of secondary. A lot of it was done by girls which as a boy added to the humiliation even more, especially when I was attacked by some of them. I was literally chased down by half my year, I was assaulted, verbally abused every day, had my stuff stolen, you name it everything. School did nothing. Then when I went to a new school it was much better but still got bullied by other people mostly verbal and again nothing was done
Original post by Ferrograd
Yeah I was very badly bullied when I was 11-12 first year of secondary. A lot of it was done by girls which as a boy added to the humiliation even more, especially when I was attacked by some of them. I was literally chased down by half my year, I was assaulted, verbally abused every day, had my stuff stolen, you name it everything. School did nothing. Then when I went to a new school it was much better but still got bullied by other people mostly verbal and again nothing was done

Sorry man, it sounds really rough. I can relate. My school did nothing either except tell me off for not going to the nurse after a group of people kicked me in the head.

I was allergic to my mum's shampoo so would rub it on my face a few times a month to give me a rash so I didn't have to go to school. I also made up stomach aches, ear aches and headaches to avoid having to go in. My mum thought I was a really sick kid but I just didn't want to have to go to school. :colondollar:

When I was at school college they did nothing i got dyspraxia dyslexia and very mild cerebral palsy. I was forced to go miley away to bad school. I was bullied relentlessly one teacher did nothing stop another student calling me r...tard in a GCSE exam. So i got bad grades.

At college 5 years later I did an access course in social sciences with is the a year long course and is the equivalent to 3 a levels and 5 GCSE's. I was bullied their too i had another student who failed the course. Say at the top of her voice that i only pass the course because someone else did the work for me i was think.as .... the teacher did nothing again.
It would be impossible to prove bullying in the majority of cases and would just lead to teenage girls calling the police on each other because Amelie called Grace a **** on Snapchat.
Original post by Louis IX
It would be impossible to prove bullying in the majority of cases and would just lead to teenage girls calling the police on each other because Amelie called Grace a **** on Snapchat.

It could proved just like Harassment is proved by the police. Bullying is generally sustained. Victims of bullying should be given notebooks to log incidents as should the school, witnesses could be found to corroborate their details etc. It might be difficult but it might act as a deterrent. Especially given most "teenage girls" as you say aren't exactly experts when it comes to the criminal justice system. Like I said, bullying is generally sustained so just someone calling someone a so and so wouldn't count, it would have to be repeated. The victim could also prepare a victim statement, used in court if necessary and backed up by the school, GP, social services etc detailing how the bullying has affected their life.
Reply 8
Because, aside from bullying being somewhat subjective in a lot of cases (the difference between 'having fun' and being malicious can be very fine), theyre children... and as we all know children can be little *****.
Thats not to say bullying shouyldnt be taken more seriously but what possible benefit would jailing a 12 yr old have? It wont stop bullying and on top of 1 kids life being miserable youve just permanently ended another's, whether thats merited or not based on your own morals.
Reply 9
well...it is a crime in the UK tho. at least if it amounts to:

violence or assault

theft

repeated harassment or intimidation, for example name calling, threats and abusive phone calls, emails or text messages

hate crimes

https://www.gov.uk/bullying-at-school

and then you would be prosecuted under the relevant legislation and if convicted a magistrate or judge sentences you. what other behaviour would you like criminalised?

btw i merged your two threads together on the subject :h:
Original post by Napp
Because, aside from bullying being somewhat subjective in a lot of cases (the difference between 'having fun' and being malicious can be very fine), theyre children... and as we all know children can be little *****.
Thats not to say bullying shouyldnt be taken more seriously but what possible benefit would jailing a 12 yr old have? It wont stop bullying and on top of 1 kids life being miserable youve just permanently ended another's, whether thats merited or not based on your own morals.

The line is even more fine when if you're like me and have conditions like aspergers which means its difficult to read people. people like myself were simply called "too sensitive" and "oh its just banter" but most people will be able to tell what kind of effect their "banter" is having on a person.

The purpose of the UK justice/prison system is primarily retributive and restorative justice, so by jailing bullies victims would feel like justice has been done, and would also reinforce the seriousness of offences. Let's also remember that at the age of what you say "12" they wouldn't be in an adult jail, but a YOI.

Children are seen as "innocent", but in reality they are some of the cruellest people out there because they have yet to have their brains develop to the capacity of an adult. For boys, this isn't until the age of 24/25.

Also jailing someone for a few months really isn't ending their life. The only peoples lives who are ended are those who take actions like killing themselves because its too much to bear. Perhaps you are more objective if you haven't been a victim of bullying, but as someone who has, forgive me if I'm not particuarly sympathetic to those who bully others.
Original post by Joleee
well...it is a crime in the UK tho. at least if it amounts to:

violence or assault

theft

repeated harassment or intimidation, for example name calling, threats and abusive phone calls, emails or text messages

hate crimes

https://www.gov.uk/bullying-at-school

and then you would be prosecuted under the relevant legislation and if convicted a magistrate or judge sentences you. what other behaviour would you like criminalised?

btw i merged your two threads together on the subject :h:

For the theft bit, the kind of things that kids get stolen from them in school aren't going to get any police attention as IIRC the police do not investigate if the value of the theft is under £200. So stealing someone's pencil case or food isn't going to be of any interest to them.

IMO, having looked at the gov website, school's shouldn't have their own individual bullying policies, there should be a national framework in place. My first school (where teh bullying took place) had a policy of not expelling students, which ensured that there was no real consequence for the behaviour of bullies and other lowlifes, and also meant pupils like me had no option but to leave the school if they were being bullied.

Also, in terms of repeated name calling etc, I doubt the police take that seriously. The law doesn't take into context the age of those involved in temrs of the victims, not in terms of legislation anyway, unlike say sex offences or murder.

I would criminalise repeated name calling, assault (no matter how minor), theft (no matter how minor), exclusion from peer groups and intimidation (no matter how minor) under one offence of Bullying. Call it the Bullying Act 2021 or whatever. There could be a seperate one for workplace bullying. Schools must guarantee an exclusion of identifid offenders where the criteria defined as bullying in the act takes place when all other methods have been "tried and tested" (tempoary exclusion, pupil isolation, detention etc). Fines should be imposed by the LEA/police on the bullies and their families if they bully, and after this imprisonment should be considered for the most serious of bullying offences (those with physical violence, bullying over an extended period (more than 3 months), bullying that results in the victim or victim(s) becoming suicidal or being diagnosed with a mental health condition etc.
I think that if someone's bullying then I can't help but think the following:
1. What an earth are the parents doing? There are far too many parents letting their kids walk all over them.
2. Does the school have good behaviour management because if it's always the same students getting in trouble and not following the rules or you give student X detentions over and over again to the point where it's not working for them then that shows you failing as a school imo and that your behaviour management is poor.
3. What circumstances is the bully living in? Are they an evil spoiled brat or do they have issues themselves which means that they decide to be pathetic and use that as an excuse to bully people i.e they have this "if I can't be happy NO ONE CAN!!!" Kind of attitude.

In short we need to improve behaviour management in schools along with parenting and more schools need to start taking bullying really seriously.
It could proved just like Harassment is proved by the police. Bullying is generally sustained. Victims of bullying should be given notebooks to log incidents as should the school, witnesses could be found to corroborate their details etc. It might be difficult but it might act as a deterrent. Especially given most "teenage girls" as you say aren't exactly experts when it comes to the criminal justice system. Like I said, bullying is generally sustained so just someone calling someone a so and so wouldn't count, it would have to be repeated. The victim could also prepare a victim statement, used in court if necessary and backed up by the school, GP, social services etc detailing how the bullying has affected their life.

Probably without knowing you upset others children at school. Do you believe you should get a criminal record that will effect the rest of your life at 10 years old.
Original post by looloo2134
Probably without knowing you upset others children at school. Do you believe you should get a criminal record that will effect the rest of your life at 10 years old.

Who said ten? This is primarily about secondary school bullying. I never bullied anyone and I never would. When I was with a group of friends who were bullying a kid (initially banter but became malicious), I told them they’d crossed a line, I was bullied too, and they should take the fact the boy said he was suicidal seriously. Only to have me revealing the fact I was bullied used by these boys to humiliate me and bully me later down the line….bullying, which is intentional, is a horrendous act and I don’t tolerate it whatsoever,
Who said ten? This is primarily about secondary school bullying. I never bullied anyone and I never would. When I was with a group of friends who were bullying a kid (initially banter but became malicious), I told them they’d crossed a line, I was bullied too, and they should take the fact the boy said he was suicidal seriously. Only to have me revealing the fact I was bullied used by these boys to humiliate me and bully me later down the line….bullying, which is intentional, is a horrendous act and I don’t tolerate it whatsoever,

Your bullying me now by the why firstly you did not respond to post about my disabilities and bullying at school and college.
Secondly you believe that your experience because of asperger's is worst bullying then myself as a child. Which is undermining my experience as a child and young adult.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16

So why don't we do the same here? I was bullied and was left with depression, I was too afraid to leave my house, had nightmares, hid my face wheenver in public, hid my face whenever in school, had no social life and the lowest self esteem for years. these children stole my childhood from me, my youth, and yet they never got punished. There has been a lot of focus in the Uk media lately about "catcalling", and making misogyny a crime, but why not bullying? Bullying targets people of all sexes, religions, races and backgrounds. It links directly to the problem of mental health which has arisen recently. In my opinion, bullying in schools should be criminalised, with low level bullying (name calling etc) meaning children face mandatory exclusions, with themselves and their parents fined, and serious bullying (theft, assault, persistent abuse of a racist, sexist, religous or personal nature) subject to exclusion, a 6-12 month stay in prison, and a similarly high fine as the French propose. Bullying is tolerated and normalised in schools. So many people experience it, yet its seen as something we just simply have to somehow accept and tolerate. sentiments about "character building" still remain. Bullying results in death, often through sui*de. In the school I attended, where I was bullied mercilessly, an Autistic boy was hung from a tree. Yes, this is true. If that happened in public, aka, on the street, the person would probably face charges of attempted murder. Yet it's viewed as if anything behind closed doors is acceptable - at least, in schools. the same wouldn't happen if it happened in a home. Schools should also have a mandatory requirement to report bullying like this and should expel the perpetrators. Whose with me?

I agree with your sentiment and as someone also bullied with detrimental effects it is a reasonable question to ask. That said, bullying is such broad term and can encompass all manner of behaviours from extreme physical violence against someone to deliberate exclusion or talking behind someone's back. How you define it from a legal point of view and then assign a proportional punishment or deterrent is beyond me. It feels like a can of worms. For me, I would like to see bullying as a thing being made more high profile with campaigns to explain what bullying behaviour looks like and that such behaviour is unacceptable. I genuinely think that some bullies do not know they are bullying because they are non-the-wiser.
Your bullying me now by the why firstly you did not respond to post about my disabilities and bullying at school and college.
Secondly you believe that your experience because of asperger's is worst bullying then myself as a child. Which is undermining my experience as a child and young adult.

What are you on about
Reply 18

Total nonsense
Reply 19
For the theft bit, the kind of things that kids get stolen from them in school aren't going to get any police attention as IIRC the police do not investigate if the value of the theft is under £200. So stealing someone's pencil case or food isn't going to be of any interest to them.

IMO, having looked at the gov website, school's shouldn't have their own individual bullying policies, there should be a national framework in place. My first school (where teh bullying took place) had a policy of not expelling students, which ensured that there was no real consequence for the behaviour of bullies and other lowlifes, and also meant pupils like me had no option but to leave the school if they were being bullied.

Also, in terms of repeated name calling etc, I doubt the police take that seriously. The law doesn't take into context the age of those involved in temrs of the victims, not in terms of legislation anyway, unlike say sex offences or murder.

I would criminalise repeated name calling, assault (no matter how minor), theft (no matter how minor), exclusion from peer groups and intimidation (no matter how minor) under one offence of Bullying. Call it the Bullying Act 2021 or whatever. There could be a seperate one for workplace bullying. Schools must guarantee an exclusion of identifid offenders where the criteria defined as bullying in the act takes place when all other methods have been "tried and tested" (tempoary exclusion, pupil isolation, detention etc). Fines should be imposed by the LEA/police on the bullies and their families if they bully, and after this imprisonment should be considered for the most serious of bullying offences (those with physical violence, bullying over an extended period (more than 3 months), bullying that results in the victim or victim(s) becoming suicidal or being diagnosed with a mental health condition etc.

give me a second to unwrap this in my head. so you think stealing a pencil case or a lunch should receive a prison sentence or a fine, is that correct? :cookie: do you know what the cost of a police investigation is and cost of court is compared to a £1 pencil case or lunch.

you don't even know what is considered 'bullying' under French law. stealing lunch and name calling might not be considered bullying under French law and you might just have made the assumption just like you assumed bullying is not illegal in the UK.

exclusion from peer groups should be a criminal act according to you, ammi right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending