Has anyone received an unconditional offer from universities

Watch
student24hey
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, my application has been sent off and I have grades A* A* A and have been receiving conditional offers. Has anyone received an unconditional offer, slightly worried.

To start in 2022
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by student24hey)
Hi guys, my application has been sent off and I have grades A* A* A and have been receiving conditional offers. Has anyone received an unconditional offer, slightly worried.

To start in 2022
Achieved or predicted grades?
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
'Unconditional if you go Firm' type offers for those still to take exams have now stopped.
student24hey
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
Achieved or predicted grades?
predicted
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
predicted
Then it's very unlikely that you will get unconditional offers from anywhere. They'll be conditional on achieving certain grades.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you only have predicted grades, you won't get any unconditional offers, as you may not yet achieve the grades that you are predicted.
Presumably you will, but as there's a chance you won't, they give you a conditional offer (the condition being that you achieve these grades.)

My husband got an unconditional offer but he was applying as a mature student on the merit of his self-taught portfolio (3D Game Art), and doesn't have any A Levels at all, so that's a little different.
ashvinsingh
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
'Unconditional if you go Firm' type offers for those still to take exams have now stopped.
When was this announced?
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ashvinsingh)
When was this announced?
July 2020 - https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk...ring-pandemic/

Note that this does not stop unis making offers so low that they may as well be unconditional, e.g. CCC if Firmed.
lucyyy12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I had an unconditional if I put it as my firm, but I think it was a bit of a bribe to get me to put them as their firm. I ended up putting somewhere else as my firm because it was the better uni and was closer to home and so cheaper.
ashvinsingh
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
July 2020 - https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk...ring-pandemic/

Note that this does not stop unis making offers so low that they may as well be unconditional, e.g. CCC if Firmed.
Thanks for your reply, it says that this was until September 2021, did the regulator decide to just ban conditional unconditional offers for the foreseeable future?
alicelilley
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Nope. I don't think universities really give out many unconditional offers anymore.
ilililili
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
My gf got 2 unconditionals this year. Neither of which she had to firm for it to be an unconditional
Last edited by ilililili; 1 month ago
student24hey
Rep:
(Original post by ilililili)
My gf got 2 unconditionals this year. Neither of which she had to firm for it to be an unconditional
Which unis if you don't mind me asking
booklover1313
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Most of the top academic/ Russel Group unis will not give out unconditional offers. There is high competition for places and they want you to get the grades.
Last edited by booklover1313; 1 month ago
marchag
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ilililili)
Do you mind me asking, were these offers based on predicted grades or achieved grades?
ilililili
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by marchag)
Do you mind me asking, were these offers based on predicted grades or achieved grades?
Predicted
ilililili
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Lincoln and Anglia Ruskin
ilililili
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by booklover1313)
Most of the top academic/ Russel Group unis will not give out unconditional offers. There is high competition for places and they want you to get the grades.
I got one from Lancaster 2 years ago but I didn’t accept it and even then people were saying they had stopped. Ik it’s not the best uni but it’s better than a fair few RG atleast
skylark2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Unconditional offers on anything except already achieved grades were briefly a thing at a few universities for a few years. Principally they were given to people whose predicted grades were significantly higher than the requirement, in the hopes of getting them to firm that university rather than use it as their insurance. It wasn't a successful experiment - there was significant correlation between people accepting an unconditional offer and getting much worse A levels than expected, as they had basically taken the rest of year 13 off. Not a good platform for starting degree level study.

Pet peeve - no, you don't have those grades. That's what your teachers think you might get if everything goes well - it is an optimistic guess intended to guide you as to where to apply, not a free pass to a university place. In A level exams, 75% of students do worse than their prediction in at least one subject. I'm afraid you are part of a whole generation of students who are in for a very nasty shock after two years of Covid and predicted grades being used as achieved grades. Unconditional offers are given to people who have their grades already.
stephon68
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey im an international student
I received unconditional offers from Warwick and Bristol for Meng Computer Science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.2%
October 2021 (223)
44.6%
November 2021 (59)
11.8%
December 2021 (64)
12.8%
January 2021 (60)
12%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.6%