The Student Room Group

Should I Leave Study Abroad Early?

I'm a US exhange student studying in the UK for the fall term, and this experience has been less, WAY less, than easy. I knew this wouldn't be easy, but I didn't know it would be this hard. I've struggled so much with my mental health since I got here, but most of all over the last three weeks. I've cried every day for the past two weeks and can't get work done, no matter how long I sit at my computer or read. It's like I'm just stuck and I don't know what to do anymore. I have the option of going home early and finishing my final assessments online, and I was very close to deciding to do that, but I have some things I still want to do in the UK and people I don't want to leave behind...Everyone at home, too, keeps saying how brave I am and how jealous they are of me for being able to study abroad. I don't want to let these people down or make it seem like their support was for nothing. I know I can't go on any longer the way I am, but I don't know how to change how I feel without changing my environment to somewhere where I am more comfortable. Then again, I don't know if I would feel any better going home, or if I would maybe even feel worse because I left early or "gave up". I want to save my mental health as much as possible, but I don't know whether staying or leaving would be the better option for that at this point. What should I do?
Hi @schilla

I’m sorry to hear how much you are struggling. Your university’s student services should help you with access to mental health support - the student union might also have services available too.

Do you have a pastoral tutor for your course you can talk to? While your friends and family may be trying to help, they’re possibly not going to be giving you the best advice right now (unless they have experienced depression and anxiety themselves) so you really need to speak to someone who is independent.

Best of luck.
Original post by schilla
I'm a US exhange student studying in the UK for the fall term, and this experience has been less, WAY less, than easy. I knew this wouldn't be easy, but I didn't know it would be this hard. I've struggled so much with my mental health since I got here, but most of all over the last three weeks. I've cried every day for the past two weeks and can't get work done, no matter how long I sit at my computer or read. It's like I'm just stuck and I don't know what to do anymore. I have the option of going home early and finishing my final assessments online, and I was very close to deciding to do that, but I have some things I still want to do in the UK and people I don't want to leave behind...Everyone at home, too, keeps saying how brave I am and how jealous they are of me for being able to study abroad. I don't want to let these people down or make it seem like their support was for nothing. I know I can't go on any longer the way I am, but I don't know how to change how I feel without changing my environment to somewhere where I am more comfortable. Then again, I don't know if I would feel any better going home, or if I would maybe even feel worse because I left early or "gave up". I want to save my mental health as much as possible, but I don't know whether staying or leaving would be the better option for that at this point. What should I do?

Hi there!

Sorry to hear about the issue you have been having :frown: University can be very challenging, and studying at a new University and country even more so! Like the other posters said, you should definitely get in touch with some mental health support at the University, you can often get extension to your assignments - which should mean you can relax for a few days and hopefully that will help your mental health recover slightly.

GIven we are nearly at the end of term I would advise trying to stick it out for a couple more weeks - why don't you make a list of the things that you really want to do whilst you are still in the UK, and then devote some of your remaining time to this. YOu were brave taking the opportunity to study abroad, so you should make the most of it and do have wanted to do in the UK :smile:

I hope you are okay and well done for taking the risk and opportunity to study abroad!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending