The Student Room Group

Where to study my second bachellor?

Hi friends!!
First time posting here. I would appreciate if you could help me out deciding which university to go. I’m not from the UK and I’m having such a difficult time deciding 😓

Some brief context first!
- My name is Daniel and I live in Lima, Perú. I’m 26 years old and have already finished my bachelor’s degree in business administration.

- I always wanted to become a professional musician (composer/producer specifically) since I was about 10 y/o. Have been playing and producing tracks of my own ever since in my home studio. Made music for advertising and for short-films.

- I’m currently in the process of producing my first professional album. It’s going great and I hope that it becomes a success. But I want to go to a country where the music industry is strong, such as the UK. In Peru art/music is in the lowest of the priorities.

- I’ve read lot’s of people saying “don’t study music”. And I get their point. But I need to get to know people in the industry, build a network, and have a formal academic background. I think it raises the chances of success. My family is willing to help me out with the tuition, so that's a good thing.

So… I decided that pursuing a second bachelor in Music Production combined with songwriting and mixing, would be the best option. BUT, the big question is, in which university? Since I would be moving from Perú to the UK, it has to be a good uni, that's worth the effort and the investment. My options right now are as follows:

1. London College of Music - Performance and Recording
2. University of Surrey - Creative Music Technology
3. Guildhall School of Music and Drama - Popular Music Production
4. Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts - Music Songwriting & Production
5. University of Winchester - Music and Sound Production
6. University of Staffordshire - Music Production
7. University of Salford - Popular Music & Recording
8. Leeds Conservatoire - Music (Production)
9. University of York - Music and Sound Recording
10. University of Kent - Music Business and Production
11. Institute of Contemporary Music Performance - Creative Music Production
12. School of Audio Engineering (SAE) - Audio Production
13. Birmingham City University - Popular Music
14. Goldsmith University - Popular Music
15. University of Huddersfield - Creative Music Production
16. University of the Arts London - Music Production

I want to know your opinion guys. If you had to pick 5 to apply, which ones would you pick?

Lots of rankings contradict with one another. Some unis look very good but are located in small towns (I don’t know if that’s something bad in the future). The typical “top universities” like Oxford/Cambridge don’t offer music production/sound/mixing.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope you have a great day 🙌🏻
Original post by goodguydan95
Hi friends!!
First time posting here. I would appreciate if you could help me out deciding which university to go. I’m not from the UK and I’m having such a difficult time deciding 😓

Some brief context first!
- My name is Daniel and I live in Lima, Perú. I’m 26 years old and have already finished my bachelor’s degree in business administration.

- I always wanted to become a professional musician (composer/producer specifically) since I was about 10 y/o. Have been playing and producing tracks of my own ever since in my home studio. Made music for advertising and for short-films.

- I’m currently in the process of producing my first professional album. It’s going great and I hope that it becomes a success. But I want to go to a country where the music industry is strong, such as the UK. In Peru art/music is in the lowest of the priorities.

- I’ve read lot’s of people saying “don’t study music”. And I get their point. But I need to get to know people in the industry, build a network, and have a formal academic background. I think it raises the chances of success. My family is willing to help me out with the tuition, so that's a good thing.

So… I decided that pursuing a second bachelor in Music Production combined with songwriting and mixing, would be the best option. BUT, the big question is, in which university? Since I would be moving from Perú to the UK, it has to be a good uni, that's worth the effort and the investment. My options right now are as follows:

1. London College of Music - Performance and Recording
2. University of Surrey - Creative Music Technology
3. Guildhall School of Music and Drama - Popular Music Production
4. Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts - Music Songwriting & Production
5. University of Winchester - Music and Sound Production
6. University of Staffordshire - Music Production
7. University of Salford - Popular Music & Recording
8. Leeds Conservatoire - Music (Production)
9. University of York - Music and Sound Recording
10. University of Kent - Music Business and Production
11. Institute of Contemporary Music Performance - Creative Music Production
12. School of Audio Engineering (SAE) - Audio Production
13. Birmingham City University - Popular Music
14. Goldsmith University - Popular Music
15. University of Huddersfield - Creative Music Production
16. University of the Arts London - Music Production

I want to know your opinion guys. If you had to pick 5 to apply, which ones would you pick?

Lots of rankings contradict with one another. Some unis look very good but are located in small towns (I don’t know if that’s something bad in the future). The typical “top universities” like Oxford/Cambridge don’t offer music production/sound/mixing.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope you have a great day 🙌🏻

Hi @goodguydan95
Sounds exciting. I really hope you're able to get some useful feedback on TSR.
As a mature student and international student, you will get a warm welcome and lots of support!
If it's any help, we have a music student on Unibuddy, who can chat about his experience:
https://api.unibuddy.co/og/staffordshire-university/buddies/students/61a651efe7a668149623f88a?buddyPosition=share
Best wishes,
Shaun

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending