Best accomodation at University of Birmingham

Watch
Erink03
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi just got an offer from UoB, and was wondering about which accomodations are best to go for in terms of social aspect and if there are any specific ones to avoid? Im unsure of going catered or not as I have heard catered is more social!
allthelovee03
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Erink03)
Hi just got an offer from UoB, and was wondering about which accomodations are best to go for in terms of social aspect and if there are any specific ones to avoid? Im unsure of going catered or not as I have heard catered is more social!
Received an offer for UoB as well so would be interested to know answers too!
UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Erink03)
Hi Erink03 and @allthelovee03,

Congratulations to both of you for your offers! The main answer to your question is that there isn't one that is the best. In truth, each accommodation might have something you prefer to another one but this isn't the same for everyone. There are a few things to think about and help with your decision making.

Which student village you want to live in: The biggest student village is the Vale, but there's also Pritchatt's Park and Selly Oak. There are lots of students in all of these places and I lived in Pritchatt's Park. Some people think you need to be on the Vale to have a good time but this isn't true! Each village is close to different things and has different types of rooms available. Have a look at this map and the purple buildings are accommodation, you can see how each fits in around campus.

Cost: Budgeting is an important thing to consider when you move to uni. I'd recommend having a look at how much money you anticipate having available for your accommodation and then seeing which options lie in your price range. I stayed in Ashcroft with was really affordable and I had a great time even though it's a 'cheap' option.

Catered vs Self Catered: I don't know of anyone who had catered accommodation that thought it was less sociable, so don't worry about that! Catered is convenient in that you spend less time prepping meals and can grab lunch on campus on your meal plan. I went for self catered because I enjoy cooking and having the freedom to cook and eat what I like (I also was able to do it more cheaply than the price you pay towards your meal plan as part of rent). All catered accommodation still comes with full kitchen facilities so you do still have the option to cook for yourself!

Bed size and ensuite or shared bathroom: For some people, these options are deal breakers but you can be limited by your budget. The bigger bed you have and having an ensuite both make your rent more expensive. I went for shared bathroom and a single bed and managed just fine! The extras weren't worth the extra cost for me but they might be for you.

Flat size: Most accommodation in Birmingham has 6 people to a flat but some are as small as 4 and others go up to 12 people sharing 1 kitchen. Maybe you want a smaller group or maybe you'd like loads of new people to meet!

Have a think bout all these things and look at all the options here https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/study/a...ion/index.aspx and check out the virtual tours too.

Best of luck in the rest of your applications process, Jude (3rd year Theoretical Physics Student, UoB)
allthelovee03
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences)
Hi Erink03 and @allthelovee03,

Congratulations to both of you for your offers! The main answer to your question is that there isn't one that is the best. In truth, each accommodation might have something you prefer to another one but this isn't the same for everyone. There are a few things to think about and help with your decision making.

Which student village you want to live in: The biggest student village is the Vale, but there's also Pritchatt's Park and Selly Oak. There are lots of students in all of these places and I lived in Pritchatt's Park. Some people think you need to be on the Vale to have a good time but this isn't true! Each village is close to different things and has different types of rooms available. Have a look at this map and the purple buildings are accommodation, you can see how each fits in around campus.

Cost: Budgeting is an important thing to consider when you move to uni. I'd recommend having a look at how much money you anticipate having available for your accommodation and then seeing which options lie in your price range. I stayed in Ashcroft with was really affordable and I had a great time even though it's a 'cheap' option.

Catered vs Self Catered: I don't know of anyone who had catered accommodation that thought it was less sociable, so don't worry about that! Catered is convenient in that you spend less time prepping meals and can grab lunch on campus on your meal plan. I went for self catered because I enjoy cooking and having the freedom to cook and eat what I like (I also was able to do it more cheaply than the price you pay towards your meal plan as part of rent). All catered accommodation still comes with full kitchen facilities so you do still have the option to cook for yourself!

Bed size and ensuite or shared bathroom: For some people, these options are deal breakers but you can be limited by your budget. The bigger bed you have and having an ensuite both make your rent more expensive. I went for shared bathroom and a single bed and managed just fine! The extras weren't worth the extra cost for me but they might be for you.

Flat size: Most accommodation in Birmingham has 6 people to a flat but some are as small as 4 and others go up to 12 people sharing 1 kitchen. Maybe you want a smaller group or maybe you'd like loads of new people to meet!

Have a think bout all these things and look at all the options here https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/study/a...ion/index.aspx and check out the virtual tours too.

Best of luck in the rest of your applications process, Jude (3rd year Theoretical Physics Student, UoB)
Thank you so much for the help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (39)
23.08%
Note taking apps (5)
2.96%
Flashcards (29)
17.16%
Revision guides (5)
2.96%
Past papers (85)
50.3%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed