The Student Room Group

Thinking about quitting uni

I am a first year student at the University of Essex studying Comp Sci, and I am really not enjoying it at all. I enrolled late because I was sick at the start of the term but almost all of my degree is online apart from a few hours of labs which hardly anyone shows up to anyway. So its really hard to meet people. I feel like it is so expensive for what you get for your money. I am a bit older than you average student (I am 25) so it seems even harder to meet people in this situation. The atmosphere on campus is not that great. Does anyone else feel that the lingering COVID situation is ruining their university experience, or that university isn't worth the money or what they expected? I am wondering what to do.
Original post by Pedro5431
I am a first year student at the University of Essex studying Comp Sci, and I am really not enjoying it at all. I enrolled late because I was sick at the start of the term but almost all of my degree is online apart from a few hours of labs which hardly anyone shows up to anyway. So its really hard to meet people. I feel like it is so expensive for what you get for your money. I am a bit older than you average student (I am 25) so it seems even harder to meet people in this situation. The atmosphere on campus is not that great. Does anyone else feel that the lingering COVID situation is ruining their university experience, or that university isn't worth the money or what they expected? I am wondering what to do.

Hiya @Pedro5431,

Sorry to hear that this year hasn't been the university experience that you expected. My first year was very similar as covid had us do online learning for pretty much the entire year. It was extremely difficult to connect with people, meet new people and just generally live the university experience. What I'd recommend is giving it more of a chance, and reaping the rewards of the freedom of the new lifestyle that you've been given. Explore Essex, go to events, make active attempts to meet coursemates as they're very likely to have similar interests to you. Join some societies, give them a chance. I wouldn't give up until you can say "I really did give it my best shot."

University is very expensive, but you do end up with a degree, and in my opinion, no matter what degree you have, it's a qualification that is pretty well-received when you go to get a full-time job. It all depends on you, if you really don't think it's worth it, then maybe it's not for you. But, again, try and give it your all before you make a decision. You never know what's in the coming months.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Quinn - Official SHU Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Don't give up on your university experience just yet.
If you are going to give up on your uni experience, join Extinction Rebellion or Insulate Britain. Let's use the time we have to lobby for change before it's too late
Original post by Pedro5431

Hello,

I am really sorry that you are not enjoying your uni experience at the moment.

I can relate to what you are feeling right now. I agree it is very expensive for what you get, for now anyway, I'm sure things will pick up!
I started University when I was 24, and I am now 26 and in the final year of my studies. I completely understand where you are coming from. I believe being a bit older, you see things in a different light, for me anyway I was far more selective when meeting people and making friends with people. Rest assured tho, I do believe this experience does teach you how to mix with all sorts of different people. When you do meet those friends that you click with, it really is a great feeling.

I am not the sort of person who goes out partying every weekend, I prefer to do other things with my time, because university is NOT all about going out drinking every weekend. Sounds silly, but if the local university library is open, I recommend going down there and literally just start talking to people. A guy who i am now good friends with, literally overheard a conversation with me and another friend and said to me " Sorry to bother you, but your conversation sounds really interesting can I join in."

Don't be afraid to talk to people who you think you may click with. Failing that, if you have freshers facebook page, pop a message on their about being a mature student and if anyone fancies meeting up for a coffee and a chat, I am sure that other people will be feeling exactly the same as you!

Please don't suffer in silence tho because it is the worst feeling in the world. If you can, get talking to people.

Sorry to ramble on, I wish you all the best.

Regards

Charlie
Reply 5
Original post by aircraftcharls
Hello,

I am really sorry that you are not enjoying your uni experience at the moment.

I can relate to what you are feeling right now. I agree it is very expensive for what you get, for now anyway, I'm sure things will pick up!
I started University when I was 24, and I am now 26 and in the final year of my studies. I completely understand where you are coming from. I believe being a bit older, you see things in a different light, for me anyway I was far more selective when meeting people and making friends with people. Rest assured tho, I do believe this experience does teach you how to mix with all sorts of different people. When you do meet those friends that you click with, it really is a great feeling.

I am not the sort of person who goes out partying every weekend, I prefer to do other things with my time, because university is NOT all about going out drinking every weekend. Sounds silly, but if the local university library is open, I recommend going down there and literally just start talking to people. A guy who i am now good friends with, literally overheard a conversation with me and another friend and said to me " Sorry to bother you, but your conversation sounds really interesting can I join in."

Don't be afraid to talk to people who you think you may click with. Failing that, if you have freshers facebook page, pop a message on their about being a mature student and if anyone fancies meeting up for a coffee and a chat, I am sure that other people will be feeling exactly the same as you!

Please don't suffer in silence tho because it is the worst feeling in the world. If you can, get talking to people.

Sorry to ramble on, I wish you all the best.

Regards

Charlie

Good advice.
Reply 6
Thanks for the ideas and feedback. Yes, its very hard at the moment. This pandemic situation is really making everything so miserable. I will consider my options over the next couple of weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest