Algebraic methods

Watch
tindall19
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Not sure if I'm being an idiot here but not really sure what this question wants me to do:
The quadratic equation x² + (3k + 1)x + (4 – 9k), where k is constant, has repeated
roots.
Show that 9k² + 42k – 15 = 0.

I originally thought it wanted me to find the values of k but that's the second part to the question. What does "show that" even mean in this case?
zetamcfc
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tindall19)
Not sure if I'm being an idiot here but not really sure what this question wants me to do:
The quadratic equation x² + (3k + 1)x + (4 – 9k), where k is constant, has repeated
roots.

I originally thought it wanted me to find the values of k but that's the second part to the question. What does "show that" even mean in this case?
Discriminant.
ashvinsingh
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
roots.

Hint - repeated roots means the discriminate = 0 , can you remember how to work out the discriminate?
tindall19
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ashvinsingh)
Hint - repeated roots means the discriminate = 0 , can you remember how to work out the discriminate?
not a clue!
tashe7
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
not a clue!
b^2 - 4ac, where a is the coefficient of k^2, b is the coefficient of k and c is the -15
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tashe7)
b^2 - 4ac, where a is the coefficient of k^2, b is the coefficient of k and c is the -15
a, b and c refer to the coefficients of the original quadratic in x, not the quadratic in k you're trying to show.

So, using the quadratic formula to solve the original quadratic equation in x, the two roots are equal if the discriminant = 0 so
b^2 - 4ac = 0
so sub in the a, b and c which are functions of k and rearrange to get the desired quadratic (in k) equation.

tindall19 if you really don't have a clue, its worth going over that section of your notes again or as a starter
https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/q...-equation.html
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (42)
24%
Note taking apps (5)
2.86%
Flashcards (31)
17.71%
Revision guides (5)
2.86%
Past papers (86)
49.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.43%

Watched Threads