The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan

Im currently on a gap year and will be starting university next year, I few questions -

Is the amount of maintenance loan you receive based on your household income from the previous year or this year? If it’s the previous year, does that mean the money I earn working this year won’t be taken into account?

Also, my parents got divorced last month, so would my mum’s now ex-husband who doesn’t live with us and doesn’t contribute to the household, would the earnings he put into the household last year be counted (assuming they do it from the previous year)?
Your earned income as the student isn’t included in the household income assessment. Only your unearned income (trust funds, interest from investments, income from rental on property etc) are included.

The household income assessment is based on the previous (completed) tax year - but if your mum can provide proof that she is divorced then it will be based on her income from that year alone (unless she starts living with a new partner - in that case the partners income will also be counted).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending