The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get an internship in London?

Hi there!
I am currently in my 2nd year at uni. I come from the EU and have a pre-settled status until 2026 which means I can work and study in the UK. I am certain I want to do a Master’s course but I am looking into unis in the EU. I’m not sure if I want to live in the UK in the future but I also want to make the most out of my pre-settled status so I wanted to work in the UK for at least a year once I finish my bachelor studies. I’d preferably move to London as my uni is in a small city and I want to experience living in London. How hard would you say it is to get a year long internship in London with a bachelor’s degree? I’m into consulting but wouldn’t mind a job in marketing as well. When should I start looking for an internship and how long does it normally take to find a job as a graduate? Would I be better off doing a placement year in my 3rd year at uni? + I’m an EU student so I guess a less attractive prospective employee than a UK national
Original post by mnxnxnxn
Hi there!
I am currently in my 2nd year at uni. I come from the EU and have a pre-settled status until 2026 which means I can work and study in the UK. I am certain I want to do a Master’s course but I am looking into unis in the EU. I’m not sure if I want to live in the UK in the future but I also want to make the most out of my pre-settled status so I wanted to work in the UK for at least a year once I finish my bachelor studies. I’d preferably move to London as my uni is in a small city and I want to experience living in London. How hard would you say it is to get a year long internship in London with a bachelor’s degree? I’m into consulting but wouldn’t mind a job in marketing as well. When should I start looking for an internship and how long does it normally take to find a job as a graduate? Would I be better off doing a placement year in my 3rd year at uni? + I’m an EU student so I guess a less attractive prospective employee than a UK national

If you are in your 2nd year then you should have been looking for internships from the start of September to begin working in summer 2022
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
If you are in your 2nd year then you should have been looking for internships from the start of September to begin working in summer 2022

Yeah it might be too late to apply for a placement year now. But I’m planning to do a summer internship in my home country and preferably like to start working once I graduate so in 2023
Original post by mnxnxnxn
Hi there!

Well consulting (i.e. management consulting) is typically very competitive, the tier 1 firms have notoriously intense recruitment with exceptional academic background, coupled to leadership, work experience & excellent performance in case interviews. The tier 2s are still competitive, front office in a big-4 firm so still tough to get. Requires lots of planning.

for marketing i have no idea.

I interned at a top IP firm in London, it took a bit of networking and a strong CV.
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Well consulting (i.e. management consulting) is typically very competitive, the tier 1 firms have notoriously intense recruitment with exceptional academic background, coupled to leadership, work experience & excellent performance in case interviews. The tier 2s are still competitive, front office in a big-4 firm so still tough to get. Requires lots of planning.

I interned at a top IP firm in London, it took a bit of networking and a strong CV.

thanks! I appreciate it
Original post by mnot

I know it has been a long time but I was wondering what you mean by a strong CV, thanks 😊
Original post by grey_boredom
I know it has been a long time but I was wondering what you mean by a strong CV, thanks 😊

-Strong academic track record (academic awards/top 5% of cohort or similar)
-publications in reputable places
-leadership experience
-other outstanding achievements
-competing in sports at high levels or playing music at concerts or similar
-winner & team player (with evidence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending