Provisional SFE entitlement for new course

Watch
mah1000000
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Apologies for the long text.

This year I have applied for 2022 entry onto a new course after dropping out of my current course, due to mental health issues, and I was wondering if I could get a provisional prediction for how many years on my new course will be funded by SFE and how many I will need to self-fund.

I studied two 'complete' years on my first degree + one term of study abroad where I only had to pay a reduced fee to my home university. (This was only for one term September-December as I then terminated my study).

My understanding is that the calculation is: (New course length + 1 year) - years studied.

Does this mean that if my new course is 5 years the calculation will run: (5 + 1) - 2 = 4

Therefore, I will need to self-fund for one year? Or does my additional year abroad term mess this up?

TLDR: I have studied 2 years and 1 term, reapplying for 5 year course, how much will SFE cover?
Last edited by mah1000000; 1 month ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
If you have studied 2 years and 1 term then SFE consider that 3 years of previous study.

If your new course is 5 years long then you will have 3 years of funding remaining. Unfunded years come first and in an unfunded year you will get a maintenance loan but no tuition fee loan.

If you can prove that you left your previous course due to compelling personal reasons then SFE are likely to disregard one year of your previous study.
mah1000000
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
If you have studied 2 years and 1 term then SFE consider that 3 years of previous study.

If your new course is 5 years long then you will have 3 years of funding remaining. Unfunded years come first and in an unfunded year you will get a maintenance loan but no tuition fee loan.

If you can prove that you left your previous course due to compelling personal reasons then SFE are likely to disregard one year of your previous study.
Thank you very much for your reply.

It is unfortunate that that one term counts as a year considering I was paying abroad tuition fees so I think my total tuition loan for year 3 was only £500.

Is the maintenance loan not limited to a number of years then? E.g. Will I receive a maintenance loan every year regardless?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mah1000000)
Thank you very much for your reply.

It is unfortunate that that one term counts as a year considering I was paying abroad tuition fees so I think my total tuition loan for year 3 was only £500.

Is the maintenance loan not limited to a number of years then? E.g. Will I receive a maintenance loan every year regardless?
The rules are pretty strict - even previous study without any SFE funding would be counted against your entitlement.

But yes you get a maintenance loan for every year regardless of previous study.

Some universities will have payment plans or discounts available to students paying their own fees that might help make funding the fees for those first years more manageable - it’s always worth asking.
mah1000000
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
The rules are pretty strict - even previous study without any SFE funding would be counted against your entitlement.

But yes you get a maintenance loan for every year regardless of previous study.

Some universities will have payment plans or discounts available to students paying their own fees that might help make funding the fees for those first years more manageable - it’s always worth asking.
Thank you for your quick reply.

Yeah, I understood the rules are pretty strict which is why that extra term had me worried. To think loaning that £500 has put me out £9,250.

At least it isn't all bad news as I had assumed the maintenance loan was calculated the same way as the tuition loan and so I would be self-funding living costs too. I better work hard between now and September 2022.

Once I have firmed wherever I'll end up I can see if they have any payment plans/support available for self-funded students.

Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.63%
Note taking apps (6)
2.45%
Flashcards (47)
19.18%
Revision guides (15)
6.12%
Past papers (116)
47.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.27%

Watched Threads