how can I find more primary sources?

Watch
agnos987
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
my tutors said to use more primary sources in my essay but they're so hard to find??? they said it's ideal if you don't use secondary sources but most of my sources are from secondary sources (and that if you haven't read a source, don't include it) and the primary sources which I've used are too old. How can I find more primary sources?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by agnos987)
my tutors said to use more primary sources in my essay but they're so hard to find??? they said it's ideal if you don't use secondary sources but most of my sources are from secondary sources (and that if you haven't read a source, don't include it) and the primary sources which I've used are too old. How can I find more primary sources?
Why don't you try to find the sources that the secondary material is citing? That way you can read them and check that the sources actually reflect the point you want to make.
agnos987
Rep:
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Why don't you try to find the sources that the secondary material is citing? That way you can read them and check that the sources actually reflect the point you want to make.
yeah I tried doing that but then my tutor said for me to cite the secondary source? They were also questioning whether I actually read the primary source, which I did
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
the best thing for you to do is go and see your subject Librarian and they will help you. Librarians are great.
Kentinho99
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I know its a bit hard but a lot of books are primary sources and just paraphrase a lot or try to.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
yeah I tried doing that but then my tutor said for me to cite the secondary source? They were also questioning whether I actually read the primary source, which I did
How did they know you learnt of the primary source through a secondary source? You could have come across it organically, surely.
agnos987
Rep:
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
How did they know you learnt of the primary source through a secondary source? You could have come across it organically, surely.
exactly :confused:
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What subject/discipline?
agnos987
Rep:
(Original post by gjd800)
What subject/discipline?
psychology
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.2%
October 2021 (223)
44.6%
November 2021 (59)
11.8%
December 2021 (64)
12.8%
January 2021 (60)
12%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.6%