parents affecting my professional life

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
my parents especially one parent doesn't take i seriously if i have an important call or meeting, or a job interview, the place is small and sound travels. they come through the door arguing and kicking up a fuss and don't respect my professional life. It embarasses me on the call and makes me anxious and unable to speak freely. When I confront them afterwards they literally try to suppress a giggle and act like children. I feel furious but have nowhere else to study or take calls as i live remotely and am trying to get a job so i can move out and support myself. I'm so angry after I had a call today that was affected by their noise. I feel like the people in my call are judging my living situation or seeing me as unfit for anything as this is my environment/family.
Rabbit2
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
my parents especially one parent doesn't take i seriously if i have an important call or meeting, or a job interview, the place is small and sound travels. they come through the door arguing and kicking up a fuss and don't respect my professional life. It embarasses me on the call and makes me anxious and unable to speak freely. When I confront them afterwards they literally try to suppress a giggle and act like children. I feel furious but have nowhere else to study or take calls as i live remotely and am trying to get a job so i can move out and support myself. I'm so angry after I had a call today that was affected by their noise. I feel like the people in my call are judging my living situation or seeing me as unfit for anything as this is my environment/family.
I can certainly sympathize with that. I went to work for my government fresh out of uni, and i was 'running' contracts for the Federal Government. As part of my job, i had contractors sending me contractural material at my home address. Due to the nature of the contracts, some of these pieces of mail would be addressed to me under a different name. My 'rents' - lived about 1hours drive away, and would 'invite themselves over' occasionally. Several times i caught one or the other of them chasing the mailman down the road because some of the mail had a different name on it. Despite the fact that i had an answering machine, they would answer my phone, and effectively pretend to be me - confusing the caller no end. I finally had to disconnect the bells on my phones so that they could not interfere with calls. You need to get your own place & get them out of your business as soon as you can. Best of luck!!
londonmyst
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I understand how you feel.
I grew up in a very noisy and controlling toxic household with zero peace or privacy.
All that you can do is spend as much time as possible outside of your parents home and only take calls when your parents are out.
While you are waiting to save up enough to finance alternative accomodation, can you go to a quieter place like a friend's home or a business centre?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
I understand how you feel.
I grew up in a very noisy and controlling toxic household with zero peace or privacy.
All that you can do is spend as much time as possible outside of your parents home and only take calls when your parents are out.
While you are waiting to save up enough to finance alternative accomodation, can you go to a quieter place like a friend's home or a business centre?
unfortunately i don't know anyone in the area, and is quitet remote to transport out is expensive and time consuming so is renting a space in those centres
Rabbit2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
unfortunately i don't know anyone in the area, and is quitet remote to transport out is expensive and time consuming so is renting a space in those centres
I believe that skype has an 'answering machine' type function, to where ppl can call and leave messages & you can call them back. I don't know what it costs, but i have Canada/US/Mexico coverage on my account - unlimited usage for $49 USD per year, so i wouldn't think that an answering machine function would be outrageous. I briefly looked at it when i signed up ages ago, and they get you an outside phone number and collect calls. You then can call in (with your computer), and pick up the messages & call the callers back. I'm not sure how this would work in the Uk [the phone rates are so outrageous], but it might be working into. Best of luck!!
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi @anonymous #1 ...how are you?

It can be hard when you are sharing a home with others, it really can. Have you tried talking to your family members when you are anticipating an important call or interview? Explaining how they make you feel anxious and unsupported? Maybe sitting down in a non-confrontational way will help - over dinner or a cup of tea? They may not understand the extent of their actions and a gentle reminder will encourage them to be more sympathetic.

Keep us updated.

Leanne
Midwifery Studies BSc (Hons) - 2nd year
The University of Huddersfield
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (12)
6.22%
October 2021 (95)
49.22%
November 2021 (20)
10.36%
December 2021 (29)
15.03%
January 2021 (15)
7.77%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (19)
9.84%
Something else (3)
1.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise