The Student Room Group

Lost and unsure about University- advice needed!!

Hi everyone,
So I’m currently on a gap year after applying to chemistry last year in year 13. Year 13 was a nightmare (a lot of things were going on at home) but basically this is what happened with uni:
I applied to Oxford, imperial, Durham, St. Andrews and UCL. I got an interview for oxford and I messed up the second one (long story). Turns out for chemistry at keble college I was ranked 9th but they only gave out 8 offers- I don’t think they usually release this information, I asked for feedback as I was going to reapply this year and they sent me loads. My school then let them know what was going on but they let Keble know too late RIP.
Anyways, I got offers from Durham (AAA) imperial(A*A*A) and UCL (AAA) (st andrews rejected me✌🏽) and then stupidly thought ‘oh well it doesn’t matter which I reject because I’m going to reapply’ and so I rejected Durham firmed UCL and made imperial my insurance- not knowing your insurance automatically declines if you meet your firm (I actually wanted to go to imperial RIP ME AGAIN)
So then my home life deteriorated even more & I tried to concentrate on A levels but I got AAAA (Chem, Maths, physics, FM) and so I never reapplied to oxford (I didn’t really have it in me mentally).
(Disclaimer: I know these grades are still amazing (especially in context) I was only disappointed because my options became limited because my predicted grades were A*A*A*A) and I forgot to complete the form telling my school what was going on at home.

But now I’m reconsidering whether I even want to do chemistry- I only really applied for oxford and I’ve found I’d much rather do computer science.
I am applicable for a contextual offer however I’m still going to resit maths if I end up reapplying as the lowest grades I need are A*AAA for imperial which is my first choice. My other option is to do a Bsc in chemistry with mathematics at UCL and then apply to their conversion to computer science masters course (Although I feel like I’m wasting three years this way).

So basically my questions are:
- should I do chemistry with mathematics at UCL because I have a offer even if I don’t feel as passionate about it anymore?

- what is it like doing a degree when you’d prefer to be doing a different one?

- what is more important: the uni or the course? (I love UCL but I’d prefer to do comp sci than chemistry)

- and if anyone has any opinions on whether or not I’m being completely stupid rejecting my UCL offer to do computer science and most likely not get in a uni as good as UCL let me know because my choices have been questionable and I don’t trust myself to pick right💀😭😭

This unis I would apply to for computer science are: imperial, UCL, Warwick, Manchester (maybe), bath (maybe), kings college london (maybe).

Also: I know a lot of this is “nO oNe cAn chOoSe fOr yOu” but like I said I’m not making very good decisions in regards to uni so I’m literally looking for anyone’s opinions/advice or what anyone else would do in this situation even if it’s not comp sci/Chem related:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Wow, a lot to digest. Definitely, don't do a course you are not sure about - spending 3 years doing something that does not set your world alight is a recipe for failure. If computer science is what you really really really want to do then reject your offer for Chemistry/Chemistry& maths and apply for computer science. You have the grades for the unis you are interested in so go do something you really want to do.
Reply 2
Original post by mike23mike
Wow, a lot to digest. Definitely, don't do a course you are not sure about - spending 3 years doing something that does not set your world alight is a recipe for failure. If computer science is what you really really really want to do then reject your offer for Chemistry/Chemistry& maths and apply for computer science. You have the grades for the unis you are interested in so go do something you really want to do.

Thank you so much for replying- I know I said a lot!
That’s exactly what I was thinking- I’ve just lost my passion for chemistry… tysm I think I need to do computer science :smile:
Sounds like compsci is what you feel like you need to do.

if that’s the case, go for a compsci course.
Original post by saffiya2002
Hi everyone,
So I’m currently on a gap year after applying to chemistry last year in year 13. Year 13 was a nightmare (a lot of things were going on at home) but basically this is what happened with uni:
I applied to Oxford, imperial, Durham, St. Andrews and UCL. I got an interview for oxford and I messed up the second one (long story). Turns out for chemistry at keble college I was ranked 9th but they only gave out 8 offers- I don’t think they usually release this information, I asked for feedback as I was going to reapply this year and they sent me loads. My school then let them know what was going on but they let Keble know too late RIP.
Anyways, I got offers from Durham (AAA) imperial(A*A*A) and UCL (AAA) (st andrews rejected me✌🏽) and then stupidly thought ‘oh well it doesn’t matter which I reject because I’m going to reapply’ and so I rejected Durham firmed UCL and made imperial my insurance- not knowing your insurance automatically declines if you meet your firm (I actually wanted to go to imperial RIP ME AGAIN)
So then my home life deteriorated even more & I tried to concentrate on A levels but I got AAAA (Chem, Maths, physics, FM) and so I never reapplied to oxford (I didn’t really have it in me mentally).
(Disclaimer: I know these grades are still amazing (especially in context) I was only disappointed because my options became limited because my predicted grades were A*A*A*A) and I forgot to complete the form telling my school what was going on at home.

But now I’m reconsidering whether I even want to do chemistry- I only really applied for oxford and I’ve found I’d much rather do computer science.
I am applicable for a contextual offer however I’m still going to resit maths if I end up reapplying as the lowest grades I need are A*AAA for imperial which is my first choice. My other option is to do a Bsc in chemistry with mathematics at UCL and then apply to their conversion to computer science masters course (Although I feel like I’m wasting three years this way).

So basically my questions are:
- should I do chemistry with mathematics at UCL because I have a offer even if I don’t feel as passionate about it anymore?

- what is it like doing a degree when you’d prefer to be doing a different one?

- what is more important: the uni or the course? (I love UCL but I’d prefer to do comp sci than chemistry)

- and if anyone has any opinions on whether or not I’m being completely stupid rejecting my UCL offer to do computer science and most likely not get in a uni as good as UCL let me know because my choices have been questionable and I don’t trust myself to pick right💀😭😭

This unis I would apply to for computer science are: imperial, UCL, Warwick, Manchester (maybe), bath (maybe), kings college london (maybe).

Also: I know a lot of this is “nO oNe cAn chOoSe fOr yOu” but like I said I’m not making very good decisions in regards to uni so I’m literally looking for anyone’s opinions/advice or what anyone else would do in this situation even if it’s not comp sci/Chem related:smile:

Ooh there's a lot to unpick here. But starting with your course choice, the course is more important than the uni, it will be hell to do 3 years of a subject you have lost interest in. So apply for computer science.

Your grades are really good as you know, especially in context. So I would pick 5 great unis for computer science - like the ones you have listed - and go for it. Obviously you may not get an offer from Imperial even with retaking maths - (equally you may get an offer from them but they are notoriously fussy) - but you will get offers. From these offers, make sure that this time you Firm the uni you most want to go to!
Reply 5
Original post by harrysbar
Ooh there's a lot to unpick here. But starting with your course choice, the course is more important than the uni, it will be hell to do 3 years of a subject you have lost interest in. So apply for computer science.

Your grades are really good as you know, especially in context. So I would pick 5 great unis for computer science - like the ones you have listed - and go for it. Obviously you may not get an offer from Imperial even with retaking maths - (equally you may get an offer from them but they are notoriously fussy) - but you will get offers. From these offers, make sure that this time you Firm the uni you most want to go to!

That’s exactly what I was thinking- i really don’t want to study something I don’t have any interest in anymore.
And yeah I’m not really expecting to get in imperial- I’m more hoping for UCL again, and haha yeah I won’t be making that mistake again 😭😂😂
thank you so much :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by EconomicsStud3nt
Sounds like compsci is what you feel like you need to do.

if that’s the case, go for a compsci course.

Yeah it seems like this is the best way forward, thanks for the help!! :smile:
Original post by saffiya2002
That’s exactly what I was thinking- i really don’t want to study something I don’t have any interest in anymore.
And yeah I’m not really expecting to get in imperial- I’m more hoping for UCL again, and haha yeah I won’t be making that mistake again 😭😂😂
thank you so much :smile:

That’s ok - Good Luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending