Can I still get into university with 4 highers?

Watch this thread
PalindromePuzzle
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi folks, first post here. I'm a fifth year student in Scotland and my parents have been helping me through university things and careers and such. I'm a bit lost here though - I only took 4 highers this year, but apparently you need five to get into university?

I took Higher English, Higher Music, Higher History and Higher Biology (not human biology, just biology).

If I did well in all of these subjects (which I got all As in last year), would I still be able to apply to uni? I'm not sure if I'll be leaving in fifth year or sixth but I want to keep all my options as open as possible. I'm planning on perhaps going into journalism. I wanted to try biology careers but generally they all need chemistry and I don't have the brain power for all of that. ^^;;

Thank you in advance
zofia16may
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Hi!
I’m a Scottish newbie as I just moved to Scotland this year but I’m currently in the 2022 applicant cycle so I feel qualified to give you advice haha.
It depends on courses and unis and if you do 6th year. (I don’t know much about bio or journalism sorry but it’s the same principle)
If you do sixth year most unis just say they want a minimum of 3 Bs at higher at first sitting.
If you make the decision to apply from 5th year different unis and courses want different things. For example Edinburgh law want 5As but for other courses only want 4as. Aberdeen for law want aabb first sitting or aaabb over 2 sittings (first sitting is 5th year and second sitting is 6th)
I would recommend for you to have a look at the courses your interested and the unis to see the grade and subject requirements.
I think generally taking 4 highers this year should not disadvantage you in any way.
Hope I helped! Let me know if you want anymore advice
NellyCormack04
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by PalindromePuzzle)
Hi folks, first post here. I'm a fifth year student in Scotland and my parents have been helping me through university things and careers and such. I'm a bit lost here though - I only took 4 highers this year, but apparently you need five to get into university?

I took Higher English, Higher Music, Higher History and Higher Biology (not human biology, just biology).

If I did well in all of these subjects (which I got all As in last year), would I still be able to apply to uni? I'm not sure if I'll be leaving in fifth year or sixth but I want to keep all my options as open as possible. I'm planning on perhaps going into journalism. I wanted to try biology careers but generally they all need chemistry and I don't have the brain power for all of that. ^^;;

Thank you in advance
I'd say it totally depends on the course you wish to pursue, the university of your choice is also a big factor to consider as typically Edinburgh + st A want 5 highers all top grades : /
If you are choosing to apply after s5 or s6 also comes into consideration - overall, I reckon you'd be alright. Even better if you do s6 and pick up another 2 or more highers tho!

Best of Luck to you : )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (89)
67.42%
No (29)
21.97%
I didn't use it to prepare (14)
10.61%

Watched Threads