The Student Room Group

is using practice papers really that helpful for revision??

i've always just revised by reading the notes and then writing down as much as I can remember, but I feel like everyone says practice/past papers is much better as it helps you learn the technique for exams? i was never one for active recall, and really the best way so far that I've found for revision is just writing, reading and saying it aloud, but everyone says that it's very inefficient and doing questions or active recall would be much more helpful.

are there any other good ways of revising?? writing is quite time consuming, but it's the best way I've found yet. i only do a few practice questions before the exam (except maths, where I do past papers all the time for revision). i know everyone has different revision techniques but I still was looking for other methods I could try? i have an extra set of contingency exams this year that I could maybe try different revision strats in before my actual exams
I personally use past papers to find gaps in my knowledge - it's a bit harder for History due to the fact that there's only 4 questions in the topic I'm currently doing and that doesn't cover all the spec. I do one periodically, see what I don't know and just revise that in the subject, and then do another one (there's only 3 on each paper but oh well)
Exam technique is also a good benefit, doing the past exams does mean that you are used to the phrasing of questions and what they ask of you!
Reply 2
Original post by kayeem
i've always just revised by reading the notes and then writing down as much as I can remember, but I feel like everyone says practice/past papers is much better as it helps you learn the technique for exams? i was never one for active recall, and really the best way so far that I've found for revision is just writing, reading and saying it aloud, but everyone says that it's very inefficient and doing questions or active recall would be much more helpful.

are there any other good ways of revising?? writing is quite time consuming, but it's the best way I've found yet. i only do a few practice questions before the exam (except maths, where I do past papers all the time for revision). i know everyone has different revision techniques but I still was looking for other methods I could try? i have an extra set of contingency exams this year that I could maybe try different revision strats in before my actual exams

hiya

i also write out my notes and read through them . it is very time consuming . i do a level bio , chem and psych and i do past papers by filling in the mark scheme instead of actually working out the answer. it works because some questions repeat and the mark scheme shows how many points you need to add or what kinda point you write about to get the mark.

everyone has their own styles of revision. my style takes quite a long time but it works for me.
I've found past papers to be invaluable for my kids, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest