I don't have housemates for second year

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
When do you really have to have second year housing sorted? I haven't made close friends yet, my course mates have sorted out separate housing groups already. (some just did it super early, they knew each other from college and some of them are dating. the other people I know are housing with other cheerleaders).

I know I should just ask around on facebook, but how soon does it really have to be done? Lettings companies seem to stress the importance of it now, and everyones all rushing together but idk what to do? does it differ by city?
mah1000000
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
It differs by the city a lot. Letting companies will be stressing to do it now so they can make students panic and charge higher rents rather than later when they are struggling to fill their spaces.

Most universities/SUs have an accommodation service that can help put you in touch with others who are looking for accommodation as well as advise you on when it is normal to sign a lease. That could be a good place to start.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
It’s a hard situation and loads more people then you realise end up with this. People are often just between friendship groups and end up just missing out.

So many of the people I knew who signed for houses really early ended up not being friends with the people they lived with by the end of uni.

You have loads of different options - living on your own, or waiting for people to post on Facebook looking for an extra housemate.

Don’t stress about it, it’s only November. Even next July there will still be people looking for housemates/

And remember you don’t have to be living with people to be friends with them.

It’ll all work out in the end!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
When do you really have to have second year housing sorted? I haven't made close friends yet, my course mates have sorted out separate housing groups already. (some just did it super early, they knew each other from college and some of them are dating. the other people I know are housing with other cheerleaders).

I know I should just ask around on facebook, but how soon does it really have to be done? Lettings companies seem to stress the importance of it now, and everyones all rushing together but idk what to do? does it differ by city?
Hi

People sort out their house at different times, there is no set rule that you have to have a house sorted by a certain time. But it tends to be the case that the cheaper and nicer houses go quickly, before Christmas. That doesn't mean that you can't find a nice house afterwards though! I would say to start looking in January, and start looking for housemates too. You don't want to be at the end of the year with nothing sorted out. That being said, there are always places in halls you can look at if you want to stay there again, but again they go quite quickly (generally speaking).

You will always be able to find something, so don't worry too much.

Hope this helps

Andrew
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
It’s different depending on the university. In Leeds the rubbish rip-off houses get signed for before Christmas and there’s loads of better options January/February time

(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi

People sort out their house at different times, there is no set rule that you have to have a house sorted by a certain time. But it tends to be the case that the cheaper and nicer houses go quickly, before Christmas. That doesn't mean that you can't find a nice house afterwards though! I would say to start looking in January, and start looking for housemates too. You don't want to be at the end of the year with nothing sorted out. That being said, there are always places in halls you can look at if you want to stay there again, but again they go quite quickly (generally speaking).

You will always be able to find something, so don't worry too much.

Hope this helps

Andrew
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (12)
6.06%
October 2021 (97)
48.99%
November 2021 (20)
10.1%
December 2021 (29)
14.65%
January 2021 (16)
8.08%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (19)
9.6%