Is it normal for my mentor to have me marking books ALL THE TIME?

Watch
Bazookaboobs
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi.

I am on a PGCE at a really good university. I have a lovely teacher and mentor.

Although, my teacher has me marking books all the time - including the ones she's taught. I am not being OTT but like, during playtime, she will have a book set (entire lesson so 25 books) for me on my desk to do... then has another set of books from the lesson laid out for me during lunch... I end up having about 5 mins. to eat and she doesn't like that tbh, she clock watches me, lol. Then after school, my mentor has agreed I can leave at 4:30 - I ALWAYS leave after 6 because I am marking books.. again. Even though I have my own trainee things to do, she doesn't really care.

I tried to not mark after school yesterday as I had lesson evaluations and reviews. I could tell she didn't like that. But instead, she asked me to come in at 8 today to mark them (it was an enrichment day for teachers, so no students, thus no teaching) and she strolled in at half 8. My mentor said I could leave at 1 but she made me stay till 3 to... mark her books from yesterday. I mentioned that I made plans at 2 and I could attend to that but she wasn't having it, lol.

I spoke to my uni tutor and she basically told me to get on with it - exact words were 'well if you're tired now, then you might need to re-think your career and decide this isn't the course for you'... when all I asked was for some support.

It is exhausting me out although, I am now enjoying the course a little more too (wasn't feeling it before). But it's just tiring - I end up coming home and wanting to pass out and do little work.

I want to know - is this normal as I don't like moaning? Or should I bring this up? Tbh, I have exactly 30 placement days left but it is getting frustrating.

I want to highlight I have no issues marking - it's just that it's consuming as a trainee. And no, she doesn't help with the marking, she does her lessons on the computer lol.
Last edited by Bazookaboobs; 1 month ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bazookaboobs)
Hi.

I am on a PGCE at a really good university. I have a lovely teacher/mentor.

Although, my teacher has me marking books all the time - including the ones she's taught. I am not being OTT but like, during playtime, she will have books set (entire lesson so 25 books) for me on my desk to do... then has another set of books from the lesson laid out for me during lunch... I end up having about 5 mins. to eat and she doesn't like that tbh, she clock watches me, lol. Then after school, my mentor has agreed I can leave at 4:30 - I ALWAYS leave after 6 because I am marking books.. again. Even though I have my own trainee things to do, she doesn't really care.

I tried to not mark after school yesterday as I had lesson evaluations and reviews. I could tell she didn't like that. But instead, she asked me to come in at 8 today to mark them (it was an enrichment day for teachers, so no students, thus no teaching) and she strolled in at half 8. My mentor said I could leave at 1 but she made me stay till 3 to... mark her books from yesterday. I mentioned that I made plans at 2 and I could attend to that but she wasn't having it, lol.

I spoke to my uni tutor and she basically told me to get on with it - exact words were 'well if you're tired now, then you might need to re-think your career and decide this isn't the course for you'... when all I asked was for some support.

It is exhausting me out although, I am now enjoying the course a little more too (wasn't feeling it before). But it's just tiring - I end up coming home and wanting to pass out and do little work.

I want to know - is this normal as I don't like moaning? Or should I bring this up? Tbh, I have exactly 30 placement days left but it is getting frustrating.

I want to highlight I have no issues marking - it's just that it's consuming as a trainee. And no, she doesn't help with the marking, she does her lessons on the computer lol.
This isn't normal - I don't expect my students to mark my lessons only ones they've actually taught.
Bazookaboobs
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
This isn't normal - I don't expect my students to mark my lessons only ones they've actually taught.
The girls on the course have also said this... then what should I do?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi.

I am on a PGCE at a really good university. I have a lovely teacher and mentor.

Although, my teacher has me marking books all the time - including the ones she's taught. I am not being OTT but like, during playtime, she will have a book set (entire lesson so 25 books) for me on my desk to do... then has another set of books from the lesson laid out for me during lunch... I end up having about 5 mins. to eat and she doesn't like that tbh, she clock watches me, lol. Then after school, my mentor has agreed I can leave at 4:30 - I ALWAYS leave after 6 because I am marking books.. again. Even though I have my own trainee things to do, she doesn't really care.

Your mentor is completely taking the piss here.
Bazookaboobs
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
Your mentor is completely taking the piss here.
Thanks - needed that... reality check.

Just worried I was moaning for no reason and that this, is in fact normal. What do I do?
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The girls on the course have also said this... then what should I do?
Have you joined a union? If not, do so ...
Bazookaboobs
Rep:
Have you joined a union? If not, do so ...
I have but that would be a little too much action for me... think I might get on with it and avoid the drama.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I have but that would be a little too much action for me... think I might get on with it and avoid the drama.
Just go and talk to the rep for advice - is it normal in that school?
Bazookaboobs
Rep:
Just go and talk to the rep for advice - is it normal in that school?
I am the only student there so can't really say.

Ok cool - will do but tbh nearly done here and don't want to stir anything up.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I am the only student there so can't really say.

Ok cool - will do but tbh nearly done here and don't want to stir anything up.
I meant ask the rep if its normal ... the mentor have have a 'reputation'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads