Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Term 1 nearing the end and still struggling to find friends
Kenan_N_Kel
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
friends are like a rash, one minute you dont have any then all of a sudden their everywhere.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi

I'm sorry to hear that you've found yourself in this position. I know it can be hard to make friends at uni, especially because you've moved away from home and everything can get a little overwhelming. Have you looked at any societies or sports clubs at your uni? They are often a really good way to meet people, and it is never too late to join one either! If you look on your students union website they might have a list of societies you can browse through and contact.
But don't despair, you can meet people at any stage of your course. Im in my third year and ive only just met some really nice people i now call some of my closest friends. Everyone often thinks if you dont make friends in the first few weeks of uni you never will, but this isnt true. Your time table will change each year, and with it you will meet new people on your course etc.

I hope this helps! and i hope you find some really great people soon

Andrew
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
You're not alone, I don't have any either.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way

Have you tried joining a society that you're interested in, and seeing if you could make friends through that? The thing about societies is that it's a lot easier to make friends with people that have the same interests as you - so have a look and see if there are any societies that interest you. Equally, if there isn't a society that interests you, see if you can make your own! Also, are there any opportunities where you can volunteer? It's always great to find people with good ethics and morals - so it might be a good idea to see if you can get involved in any volunteering opportunities.

Hopefully that's helpful, but making friends is never easy so don't be too hard on yourself.

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep
De Montfort University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Just to give a little reassurance. Back when I was in 1st Year I struggled to make friends - in classes and in the societies that I joined. There were a lot of friendly people, but I didn't seem to connect with them. Time was really the answer for me. I only really started to make friends after the Christmas break.

I kept at it and pushed myself out of my comfort zone. This was especially the case in my classes. Some people just needed a little more time to get comfortable with everything.

I also hopped from society to society. Despite meeting people who had similar interests to me, I still didn't feel I could get along with them. It was a lot of trial and error really. Nevertheless, I didn't give up and managed to finally become friends with people in the end.

Hope this helps,
- Jesse, 3rd Year Animation Student
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey!

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling to find friends, this is very common for a lot of students as it can be such a daunting experience! I know when I was a student I always struggled with this as well, and I ended up keeping myself to myself and focusing on my work rather than going out. There is no right or wrong way to experience uni, not everyone meets their friends for life, so don't put too much pressure on yourself to find friends. You will find some great people who you can be yourself around soon enough, it might be in a later year of your course, and that's perfectly fine

Have you joined any clubs or societies? Looked into volunteering or part-time work on campus? Or even becoming a student ambassador? - all fab ways of meeting new people. I'd deffo recommend keeping an eye on events your uni is holding for you to get involved with.

Good luck with everything!

Becky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads