Are my A Levels suitable for law?

Watch
missling40
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm currently a Year 11 student who's just done her mocks predicted straight 9s and wants to do law.

I'm thinking of doing English Lit, Economics, Maths, Further Maths and then maybe an EPQ (since doing the FSMQ means I've done most of the Maths A Level so I'm hoping the workload would be slightly more manageable because I'll just be recapping old stuff).

Is this combination suitable for a competitive application for law or do I need to do more essay subjects? If so, would doing essay competitions, writing for the school newspaper, EPQ, etc. make up for the lack of essay subjects?

I'm also sorta considering History and Politics, though tbh History is putting me off because it's extremely content heavy and whilst essays are my strong suit, memorising dates is not.

Also, does anyone have any insight into what doing an EPQ is like? I'm not entirely sure if I want to do it yet if I'm thinking of doing four A Levels already 😅 I'm still not entirely sure about Further Maths, so we'll just have to see how the FSMQ goes :/
Last edited by missling40; 1 month ago
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Doing FSMQ does not mean you have done most of A level Maths.

Yes, your combination is good, although you'd be better off not taking FM if it reduces your chances of getting A*s ins the rest. There is no need to do more essay subjects - I've known people get into top universities without any standard ones (e.g. Cambridge with Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and French).
missling40
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by EOData)
Doing FSMQ does not mean you have done most of A level Maths.

Yes, your combination is good, although you'd be better off not taking FM if it reduces your chances of getting A*s ins the rest. There is no need to do more essay subjects - I've known people get into top universities without any standard ones (e.g. Cambridge with Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and French).
sorry, I meant done most of the first year of A level maths.
Ooo okay, thanks so much for your input
Honey57
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes your alevels are great. Drop one if things get too heavy for you though.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It sounds fine, but have you considered A Level Law? If it's law you're interested in, that it makes sense, no?
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
There are NO required A levels subjects for LLB Law - you just need high grades.
Some people find an essay-based subject useful for skills, but it is in no way essential.
So pick three subjects that you will enjoy - and where you feel confident of high grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (17)
7.36%
October 2021 (112)
48.48%
November 2021 (23)
9.96%
December 2021 (31)
13.42%
January 2021 (20)
8.66%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (22)
9.52%