usa to wales (maybe), advice wanted!

Watch
beylinine
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hello! i'm thinking about accepting my offer to bangor but I just had some basic questions about living in wales (or in the UK in general)

-where's a good place to get a phone plan? (international roaming data here kinda sucks so might as well get a local chip)
-good places to shop for groceries/stuff? (Im familiar with Aldis, but i wanna know whats out there)
-anyone know any fun things to do in northern wales/northern england during breaks and such?
-general advice to know
yaara_
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by beylinine)
hello! i'm thinking about accepting my offer to bangor but I just had some basic questions about living in wales (or in the UK in general)

-where's a good place to get a phone plan? (international roaming data here kinda sucks so might as well get a local chip)
-good places to shop for groceries/stuff? (Im familiar with Aldis, but i wanna know whats out there)
-anyone know any fun things to do in northern wales/northern england during breaks and such?
-general advice to know
I use and love the Vodafone one
Aldi is the cheapest one, but you can also buy stuff at Tessco, Sainsbury, and more
Depends on what you like...
Bangor Uni
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by beylinine)

-general advice to know
Hi there,

It's great to hear that you're thinking of coming to Bangor - it's a wonderful city.
Here are some answers to you questions:

- Phone plan: I would say maybe go with Vodafone or EE as we have both of those stores located in the town center.
- Groceries: We have everything! If you're living in Ffriddoedd Accomodation Village Morrisons is the closest, it's 5 minutes down the road. However we do have Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Asda, Farm Foods, Iceland and Marks and Spencer also so there is plenty of choice
- Activities: North Wales is the perfect place for activities. You can find some more of what's going on locally here: https://www.bangor.ac.uk/student-life/bangor-and-area Many people travel to north Wales for holidays and such so you know you're in the right place for things to do!
- General tips: Perhaps learn a few Welsh phrases? (Diolch = Thank you) UMCB (The Welsh Students' Union) run a project called Ffrind Cymraeg (Welsh Friend) which is where you buddy up with a Welsh speaker to learn some Welsh phrases and more about the Welsh culture. It's a great way to learn Welsh in an informal setting You can find some more information here: https://www.facebook.com/ffrindcymraeg
https://www.undebbangor.com/groups/ffrind-cymraeg
Join a lot of clubs and societies, it's a great way to meet people at university, you can see what we've got here: https://www.undebbangor.com/

I hope this helps a little - please let me know if I can help with anything else, I would be happy to answer any questions you might have
Anna
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads