Opinions, experiences and overall look at Irish medical school?

Watch
Humble_Galen
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm an international student currently studying physiology in the UK. I really wanted to study medicine here, but alas I have applied two times with good ucat score (670 1st time 700 2nd) and never got an offer. Hell I only got one interview from Leicester for the 700 and then got a rejection post interview .

Since medicine is the only thing I see myself doing, I thought I would try applying to Ireland, since the system is similar to the UK and I heard it's easier to come back to the UK from Ireland than other places. The thing is I want to study medicine in a place that has good reputation (I know people say it doesn't matter but this is more of a personal goal than for any logical reason), and a place where I would genuinely enjoy studying and truly prepare me for a the medical profession.

I have a heard good things about Irish medical schools, but also some not so good things. Mainly that they accept anyone and internationals are the majority because they are cash cows. Now obviously I know how high international fees and I can definitely see some truth in that. I can afford it but something is telling me that it might be a bit like "buying my way into medschool" which I do not want to hold in the back of my mind in my career. I have considered Belgium, namely Louvain (the french one cause I speak french), and it is way more affordable for internationals and requires an entrance exam which is quite difficult (The work to reward seems greater but idk what to think really).
I can also try applying to the UK one more time but it would be a risk and I don't see how my chances would improve as an international even with a 1:1 bioscience degree.

Another thing about Irish med schools, is that lectures are hit or miss, they aren't very organized and seem to miscommunicate quite a lot of things so students tend to suffer from the administrative side of things.

And I heard this weird thing about Galway that somehow the medical students are ashamed of saying they are medics??? God knows why but they are looked down upon lol (again so I heard not necessarily true).

Sorry for the long post. TL;DR Should I go for Irish med schools after being rejected from UK medschools considering some of the cons that are often thrown around about them? ( I intend to come back to the UK)
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Humble_Galen)
Hi, I'm an international student currently studying physiology in the UK. I really wanted to study medicine here, but alas I have applied two times with good ucat score (670 1st time 700 2nd) and never got an offer. Hell I only got one interview from Leicester for the 700 and then got a rejection post interview .

Since medicine is the only thing I see myself doing, I thought I would try applying to Ireland, since the system is similar to the UK and I heard it's easier to come back to the UK from Ireland than other places. The thing is I want to study medicine in a place that has good reputation (I know people say it doesn't matter but this is more of a personal goal than for any logical reason), and a place where I would genuinely enjoy studying and truly prepare me for a the medical profession.

I have a heard good things about Irish medical schools, but also some not so good things. Mainly that they accept anyone and internationals are the majority because they are cash cows. Now obviously I know how high international fees and I can definitely see some truth in that. I can afford it but something is telling me that it might be a bit like "buying my way into medschool" which I do not want to hold in the back of my mind in my career. I have considered Belgium, namely Louvain (the french one cause I speak french), and it is way more affordable for internationals and requires an entrance exam which is quite difficult (The work to reward seems greater but idk what to think really).
I can also try applying to the UK one more time but it would be a risk and I don't see how my chances would improve as an international even with a 1:1 bioscience degree.

Another thing about Irish med schools, is that lectures are hit or miss, they aren't very organized and seem to miscommunicate quite a lot of things so students tend to suffer from the administrative side of things.

And I heard this weird thing about Galway that somehow the medical students are ashamed of saying they are medics??? God knows why but they are looked down upon lol (again so I heard not necessarily true).

Sorry for the long post. TL;DR Should I go for Irish med schools after being rejected from UK medschools considering some of the cons that are often thrown around about them? ( I intend to come back to the UK)
TSR is a UK-based forum and the Medicine part of the forum is for UK medical admission queries.

I have moved your thread to the international study forum and hopefully you will get a better response here.
Humble_Galen
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
TSR is a UK-based forum and the Medicine part of the forum is for UK medical admission queries.

I have moved your thread to the international study forum and hopefully you will get a better response here.
Thank you !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (39)
22.81%
Note taking apps (5)
2.92%
Flashcards (31)
18.13%
Revision guides (5)
2.92%
Past papers (85)
49.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.51%

Watched Threads