The Student Room Group

Is my mum asking for too much rent

I’m 18 and live with my mum and I know there will be a big debate between people saying it’s too much or not that much but I’m getting £1,200 from working and my mother wants £400 which I think is a lot she says apparently she never has any money left over so has to rely on me to pay for bills and food is £400 too much I think it is but I prefer to only pay £250 or £300 and apparently she said food costs £500 my step dad doesn’t work and I’m the only one working and my sister is 16 but she pays £50 which is fair enough and my step dad pays nothing but when he gets a job she wants him to pay £1,000 and my mum works but she doesn’t do full time because she claims benefits so she claims she can’t
Reply 1
Original post by Jadenking11214
I’m 18 and live with my mum and I know there will be a big debate between people saying it’s too much or not that much but I’m getting £1,200 from working and my mother wants £400 which I think is a lot she says apparently she never has any money left over so has to rely on me to pay for bills and food is £400 too much I think it is but I prefer to only pay £250 or £300 and apparently she said food costs £500 my step dad doesn’t work and I’m the only one working and my sister is 16 but she pays £50 which is fair enough and my step dad pays nothing but when he gets a job she wants him to pay £1,000 and my mum works but she doesn’t do full time because she claims benefits so she claims she can’t

May as well move out if she’s charging you that much mate.
(edited 2 years ago)
What a farce. I would definitely think about moving out.
When I was working part time in 2019 and 2020, I was earning £900 a month and started off with 400 contributions and then 250 contributions.

So like yourself, it’s not particularly fair. But it’s kind of awkward to deny helping.

Your best bet is to really go against your own wishes and save up enough to support yourself whilst trying to gather as much opportunity to raise your paycheque through promotions or upgrading jobs.

(Edit: You’re 18, so it’s quite unfortunate. If you was older it’d make a lot of sense that you do contribute as much as possible, but your still not far from being a kid in itself so I do feel for you.

Keep working though, and don’t feel bad. You’re doing your part and you deserve a pat on the back)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Alavate
May as well move out if she’s charging you that much mate.

I would if I could but I havnt got paid and no money
I wish I could

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending