The Student Room Group

I hate myself for my LLM degree

Bit of a rant (sorry in advance) but I can’t stop thinking about this.

I graduated from KCL with a LL.M merit (67) in international financial law.

I feel like an absolute loser because I see all my friends getting distinction (we’re all in the same course). I have immense passionate about the modules I took. But I messed in the finance module and the practice project, both modules I got a score in the low 60s which dragged me down.

I keep thinking I could’ve done better and that I had a shot at a distinction, but now I just feel stupid, useless, and embarrassed. I feel like I let my family down, I let myself down and I let my professors down. And that I’ve basically failed my masters.

Its been a couple days since I got my grades and I still can’t stop hating myself for what I got, and I just don’t know what to do.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Jam3sBM

I feel like an absolute loser because I see all my friends getting distinction (we’re all in the same course). I have immense passionate about the modules I took. But I messed in the finance module and the practice project, both modules I got a score in the low 60s which dragged me down.

I keep thinking I could’ve done better and that I had a shot at a distinction, but now I just feel stupid, useless, and embarrassed. I feel like I let my family down, I let myself down and I let my professors down. And that I’ve basically failed my masters.

Its been a couple days since I got my grades and I still can’t stop hating myself for what I got, and I just don’t know what to do.

i hate myself too
I'm so sorry you feel that way. But I feel like the marks you've obtained doesn't really matter as much later on does it? Getting a masters (especially in a university like KCL ) isn't something easy. So please don't beat yourself up for it.
Original post by Jam3sBM

That is a course not you as a person.
Take accountability for your grades and move on. Hating your grades will not change them.
So what if others got distinction? So what? aren’t you all going to get a job? Is your future boss going to tell you “I am not promoting you because you got a 67.
Grow up and focus on what truly matters.
First world problems eh?
O

Original post by Jam3sBM

OP, I want to congratulate you anyway for completing the LLM! That in itself is such an achievement. I hope you get to look back on the experience more positively in due course, and not let your perception of the grade define your work. :smile:
Original post by Jam3sBM

DONT ever feel bad about such thing! in the moment can be devastating, ive been in the same situation before with my MSc and all i can say is that nevertheless i am still proud that i accomplished my degrees and got through although my mental health state was at its lowest it ever was! People around me were dropping out...which did not make it easier as i was having quarter life crisis and thinking is it even worth it studying this degree? when others are just dropping out? i got though it and i am happy at least i made it...its easy to compare yourself to the 5% that is the best and push yourself down...and it is not easy for some reason to compare yourself to the ones who failed and take a moment to congratulate yourself for passing! no matter what was the grade!

SO CONGRATULATIONS from me for passing! do not let your negative emotions control you

Latest

Trending

Trending