What is getting into Law actually like?

Watch
sciencegcsesss
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I’ve just made this thread, (as a year 12 student), because I’m curious to see whether people with no ‘connections’ to people in industries can make it as a lawyer (or any other legal career) or whether it’s just dominated by rich people with connections.

Thanks
sciencegcsesss
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Bump
Gmaster1980
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sciencegcsesss)
Bump
There is no reason to bump a thread 6 minutes after making it.
sciencegcsesss
Rep:
(Original post by Gmaster1980)
There is no reason to bump a thread 6 minutes after making it.
Why not? I’m just trying to get answers?
Gmaster1980
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
All bumping does is move a thread to the top of the forum. If you posted very recently, there is no reason to bump as your thread is already at the top.

It's also against the rules.
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Against the rules :/
sciencegcsesss
Rep:
(Original post by Gmaster1980)
All bumping does is move a thread to the top of the forum. If you posted very recently, there is no reason to bump as your thread is already at the top.

It's also against the rules.

Oh, okay then. Thanks for letting me know.
thegeek888
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

I’ve just made this thread, (as a year 12 student), because I’m curious to see whether people with no ‘connections’ to people in industries can make it as a lawyer (or any other legal career) or whether it’s just dominated by rich people with connections.

Thanks
If you go to the website: https://www.primecommitment.co.uk

You could make one application per week for work experience as there are 51 law firms in London that offer work experience for under represented groups.

About 25% of training contracts at the top city law firms go to Oxford and Cambridge graduates and another 25% to University of London: LSE, UCL, KCL, SOAS, QMUL, City, Royal Holloway, Goldsmiths and Birbeck. Then there are another handful of universities which feature heavily in the recruitment process: Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Leeds, Cardiff, York, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Newcastle.

1. Addleshaw Goddard
2. Allen & Overy
3. Arnold & Porter
4. Ashurst
5. Baker McKenzie
6. Bird & Bird
7. Blake Morgan
8. BCLP
9. Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
10. CMS UK
11. Clifford Chance
12. Clyde & Co
13. Cooley LLP
14. DLA Piper
15. DWF
16. Dentons
17. Eversheds Sutherland
18. Farrer & Co
19. Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
20. Gibson Dunn
21. Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher UK LLP
22. HFW
23. Harbottle Lewis
24. Herbert Smith Freehills
25. Hogan Lovells
26. Irwin Mitchell
27. Latham & Watkins
28. Lewis Silkin
29. Linklaters
30. Macfarlanes
31. Mayer Brown
32. Norton Rose Fulbright
33. Osborne Clarke
34. Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP
35. Pinsent Masons
36. Quadrant Chambers
37. Sharpe Pritchard
38. Shepherd and Wedderburn
39. Sidley Austin
40. Simmons Simmons
41. Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom
42. Slaughter and May
43. Stephenson Harwood
44. Taylor Wessing
45. Trowers & Hamlins
46. Weightmans
47. Weightmans LLP
48. Weil Gotshal Manges
49. White & Case
50. Withers
51. Womble Bond Dickinson

Good luck in your applications!
sciencegcsesss
Rep:
(Original post by thegeek888)
If you go to the website: https://www.primecommitment.co.uk

You could make one application per week for work experience as there are 51 law firms in London that offer work experience for under represented groups.

About 25% of training contracts at the top city law firms go to Oxford and Cambridge graduates and another 25% to University of London: LSE, UCL, KCL, SOAS, QMUL, City, Royal Holloway, Goldsmiths and Birbeck. Then there are another handful of universities which feature heavily in the recruitment process: Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Leeds, Cardiff, York, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Newcastle.

1. Addleshaw Goddard
2. Allen & Overy
3. Arnold & Porter
4. Ashurst
5. Baker McKenzie
6. Bird & Bird
7. Blake Morgan
8. BCLP
9. Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
10. CMS UK
11. Clifford Chance
12. Clyde & Co
13. Cooley LLP
14. DLA Piper
15. DWF
16. Dentons
17. Eversheds Sutherland
18. Farrer & Co
19. Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
20. Gibson Dunn
21. Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher UK LLP
22. HFW
23. Harbottle Lewis
24. Herbert Smith Freehills
25. Hogan Lovells
26. Irwin Mitchell
27. Latham & Watkins
28. Lewis Silkin
29. Linklaters
30. Macfarlanes
31. Mayer Brown
32. Norton Rose Fulbright
33. Osborne Clarke
34. Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP
35. Pinsent Masons
36. Quadrant Chambers
37. Sharpe Pritchard
38. Shepherd and Wedderburn
39. Sidley Austin
40. Simmons Simmons
41. Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom
42. Slaughter and May
43. Stephenson Harwood
44. Taylor Wessing
45. Trowers & Hamlins
46. Weightmans
47. Weightmans LLP
48. Weil Gotshal Manges
49. White & Case
50. Withers
51. Womble Bond Dickinson

Good luck in your applications!
Wow this is so amazing, thank you so much!!!
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Law firms are looking for hard-working, clever people with top academics, who went to good universities, and also who look like they fit in at their firm - plus people who understand that they are instruments of the firm, who are there to earn money for the firm, by delivering whatever outcome the client is going to pay for. Not to "win" or to further a social or philosophical agenda, not to set precedent or to change the world - but purely to bill hours for the firm.

By and large, I'm not sure that inherited wealth nor nepotism are much of an issue. If people from Cambridge are getting getting law jobs, it's because they look like good prospects, not because they are rich. Rich people can't really be motivated by a junior solictor's wage.
thegeek888
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Wow this is so amazing, thank you so much!!!
Kirkland & Ellis is missing from the list but their London office is in The Gherkin!!!
Anisa-CityUoL
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi sciencegcsesss

I hope you are doing well.

I am a final year LLB Law student studying at City, University of London. What are you currently studying?

I don't have connections with people in the law industry and there are many other people who are in the same boat as me. It is not impossible to make it as a lawyer as many law firms have started to introduce initiatives to ensure that they are getting a variety of candidates. It is really about researching the firms and finding the right place for you to undertake your training contract or your pupillage. There are many programmes that have been introduced to help people get a career in law. For example, getting a mentor who has successfully qualified as a lawyer.

Also, it is really important that you work on your CV in terms of getting experience and gaining skills. This proves to be useful when applying for training contract, pupillage or even attending interviews.

If you any further questions about the Law course or a career in law then I will be happy to answer.

Anisa 😊
Final Year LLB Law Student
N1GHTSH4D3
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Thanks
You can absolutely get into law with zero connections, especially in year 12 you should not worry about this since at university (especially if you go to a good Russel Group) there would be loads of organised networking events to help make connections with magic or silver or other law firms you may desire to work at.
thegeek888
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Oxford and Cambridge have academics who have either worked at solicitor firms in the City of London or internationally as well as leading chambers of barristers!!!

It is no surprise that 1 in 4 training contract offers for Law firms in the City of London go to Oxford and Cambridge graduates.

So if you have the grades, please apply to Oxford or Cambridge to study Law Jurisprudence. It is just one choice of five!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed