The Student Room Group

[Question] What statistical tests should be used here?

I'm currently working on my Geography NEA.
For one hypothesis, I gathered information from two questionnaires that asked the same questions and were given to inhabitants in two different neighbourhoods to obtain a sense of how people felt about the place.

Anyway, as part of my research, I'm obliged to do at least one statistical test. The only difficulty is that I'm not certain which test(s) would be most useful.

Examples of questions are here
https://i.gyazo.com/b149e80115fccab1597f90e813c26eb6.png
https://i.gyazo.com/cb9b9162cf56164db2eb43e45f6c8c66.png
I also have questions like 'what words would you use to describe Town X?'. I counted the number of 'good' words, 'neutral' words, and 'negative' words used to describe the area. The second questionnaire has the same questions about a different town. Is there a statistical test I could use in this situation?

Any assistance would be really helpful.
Original post by fastfoxblox
For one hypothesis, I gathered information from two questionnaires that asked the same questions and were given to inhabitants in two different neighbourhoods to obtain a sense of how people felt about the place.

Anyway, as part of my research, I'm obliged to do at least one statistical test. The only difficulty is that I'm not certain which test(s) would be most useful.

I also have questions like 'what words would you use to describe Town X?'. I counted the number of 'good' words, 'neutral' words, and 'negative' words used to describe the area. The second questionnaire has the same questions about a different town. Is there a statistical test I could use in this situation?

maybe t test of the specific 'good' words etc? What do you think

Normally for open questions like that you'd need to do a qualitative analysis, so thematic analysis or something similar.
Reply 3
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Normally for open questions like that you'd need to do a qualitative analysis, so thematic analysis or something similar.

I could do that. I was thinking mostly quantifying the written responses by counting how many times a word is mentioned, for example 'clean' or 'affluent'. Maybe i could count the number of positive words and negative words from each questionnaire? I don't know if there's a relevant test that could be used here.
Reply 4
Original post by chris01928
maybe t test of the specific 'good' words etc? What do you think

Thanks for the reply. How would you go about doing this?
Thanks for the reply. How would you go about doing this?

T Test is about difference between means https://www.scribbr.com/statistics/t-test/

As @PhoenixFortune said tho, it might be best to talk about it qualitatively because to compare 3 different data points with stats tests, you'll have to decide qualitatively the weighting of each one anyways:smile:
I could do that. I was thinking mostly quantifying the written responses by counting how many times a word is mentioned, for example 'clean' or 'affluent'. Maybe i could count the number of positive words and negative words from each questionnaire? I don't know if there's a relevant test that could be used here.

The difficulty with counting the words if that you'd be introducing a level of subjectivity (i.e. what you think are good or neutral or negative terms) before you start any quantitative analysis. Also, in order to make sure your 3 chosen categories are accurately reflected in the data, you'd need to do more advanced stats work like factor analysis/reliability analysis, which wouldn't be something an A level student would be expected to do.
Reply 7
Original post by PhoenixFortune
The difficulty with counting the words if that you'd be introducing a level of subjectivity (i.e. what you think are good or neutral or negative terms) before you start any quantitative analysis. Also, in order to make sure your 3 chosen categories are accurately reflected in the data, you'd need to do more advanced stats work like factor analysis/reliability analysis, which wouldn't be something an A level student would be expected to do.

Could i just add 'subjectivity' to the evaluation & conclusions section, and still do a test? I've done that for an environmental quality assessment (bipolar analysis) because the scores given would likely vary person to person.

But anyway, what kind of test would suit this kind of scenario?

To be honest i'd just like to get the NEA out of the way.
Could i just add 'subjectivity' to the evaluation & conclusions section, and still do a test? I've done that for an environmental quality assessment (bipolar analysis) because the scores given would likely vary person to person.

If in doubt, speak to your teacher, they approved your NEA so they should have an idea of how they want the evaluation to be
Reply 9
If in doubt, speak to your teacher, they approved your NEA so they should have an idea of how they want the evaluation to be

See, here's the thing. I had an idea for an nea involving coastal systems. Then i realised I'd have a hell of a time collecting data for various reasons and asked to change the topic (to inequalities). I submitted a form for the original NEA but not for the replacement one - Because i asked to restart the nea in September I was just told to do the new area of inequalities and then complete the form once it's done.
See, here's the thing. I had an idea for an nea involving coastal systems. Then i realised I'd have a hell of a time collecting data for various reasons and asked to change the topic (to inequalities). I submitted a form for the original NEA but not for the replacement one - Because i asked to restart the nea in September I was just told to do the new area of inequalities and then complete the form once it's done.

I don't know anything about NEAs but, is this allowed - I thought you always had to inform the teachers
I informed the teachers but they didn't ask me to write a candidate record form, they just told me to start it because i was behind (as we were meant to collect data during the summer)

I don't know anything about NEAs but, is this allowed - I thought you always had to inform the teachers
I informed the teachers but they didn't ask me to write a candidate record form, they just told me to start it because i was behind (as we were meant to collect data during the summer)

Still might be worth it, they know the MS better than any of us:smile:

I think it's best to speak to your teacher about which analysis methods they have in mind given your data. At the moment, it sounds like you'd need an independent t-test or Wilcoxon Ran-Sum test (depending on whether your data is parametric or not). You'll need advice on which to choose and how to conduct these though, so again, best to speak to your teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending