The Student Room Group

Loneliness in homeschooling

So I had to unenrol from my sixth form college due to my newfound disability and the fact I had to prioritise my health over studies. I enrolled in an online college, they send you all the a level content and then you just teach it to yourself.

I'll be honest it's been really lonely. I miss the classroom environment but since I'm almost 19 there's no real possibility of me going back to school that way. I'm just wondering if anyone else who learns from home/homeschooled/who's been in a similar boat to me has any advice? I was thinking of starting a discord server where people can study or spend the time they spend in schooling on that so an online class environment could be mimicked.

I really don't know what to do I'm just lonely and miss that classroom environment.
Original post by Rileyrileyriley
So I had to unenrol from my sixth form college due to my newfound disability and the fact I had to prioritise my health over studies. I enrolled in an online college, they send you all the a level content and then you just teach it to yourself.

I'll be honest it's been really lonely. I miss the classroom environment but since I'm almost 19 there's no real possibility of me going back to school that way. I'm just wondering if anyone else who learns from home/homeschooled/who's been in a similar boat to me has any advice? I was thinking of starting a discord server where people can study or spend the time they spend in schooling on that so an online class environment could be mimicked.

I really don't know what to do I'm just lonely and miss that classroom environment.

Think that's a really good idea, try to find/create an online community who are in the same position so you can speak to other people in the same boat (maybe others in your online college will be open to).
During the pandemic i heard a lot of people were streaming study groups on YouTube and things like that so it definitely done before!

Also if possible try to go out to do other activities (sports/coffee chats etc) so that you aren't always indoors and have some interaction with other people. That can really help a lot.

All the best, you're not alone :smile:
My kids (home educated) do prefer live zoom style classes I must admit, rather than just self-study. It makes them feel as though they're part of a class, and they can interact with other kids and the teacher.

It can be a bit isolating, that's true.

It's the same for all ages really. I'm doing the Open University and I really value the WhatsApp group for my module that was set up - we talk about our studies as well as social things.

I think setting up a discord server or WhatsApp group (or similar) is a good idea.
I suggest going to a library, different location, maybe find some study buddies. Personally have autism so hate the classroom environment, I haven't got any friends so fortunately don't need to speak to people. Honestly, not to be harsh but just study. You'll probably become smarter and better than most. Delete social media so you don't keep looking at everyone show off.

What did you like about the classroom specifically?
hobbies
Original post by 1+x+x^2+x^3+...
I suggest going to a library, different location, maybe find some study buddies. Personally have autism so hate the classroom environment, I haven't got any friends so fortunately don't need to speak to people. Honestly, not to be harsh but just study. You'll probably become smarter and better than most. Delete social media so you don't keep looking at everyone show off.

What did you like about the classroom specifically?

I'm sorry to sound rude but I'm not aiming to be smarter and better than most, I just want to be able to complete my a levels without being totally alone for the whole experience. I miss sitting with people at lunch, being able to lean over and ask a friend for help or bounce ideas off of each other. I just miss when being alone was a choice versus my only option. As I'm housebound I can't go to the library or things like that.
try online forums

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending