University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Notts Life

Ask anything about life at Uni of Notts, living in Notts, studying etc :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LibertyoLee99

What do you think about the accomodation, nightlife, safety, diversity and workload?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by ashvinsingh
What do you think about the accomodation, nightlife, safety, diversity and workload?

Hi!
I'm at the Uni of Nottingham in my 3rd year so I can give my opinion on these!

Accommodation: The accommodation was really easy to make friends with since I was catered for, you ate dinner together each night and it was such a weight off your back not to have to cook in first year! Though of course there was self-catered accommodation too which was huge so so many options of people to meet. It was very decent in terms of rooms and size, mine was bigger than my room at home! I enjoyed my stay there a lot and made the friends I have now from my accommodation.

Nightlife: very student-y!! Every club and pub you go to in Nottingham will be full of students which gives it a very friendly vibe. It's so busy and the clubs are brilliant, cheap enough and so much fun. However, the city is also the best for restaurants and activities like mini golf so nice when you're not drinking too.

Diversity: the university is full of students from different countries, cultures and religions. Coming from quite an isolated city, I was able to meet so many different people and learn so much about their backgrounds and traditions. Just under a third of the students at Nottingham are international students so diversity is high.

Workload: it completely depends on how much work you want to do and what grade you want to achieve. Speaking from a Natural Sciences perspective as that's what course I do, I'd say the workload has always been manageable. It varies throughout the year with deadlines and exams but it is always do-able. I have never fallen really behind or been worried I didn't have enough time to do something, unless it was 100% my fault :colondollar:

I hope this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Laila
Original post by lailakate
Hi!
I'm at the Uni of Nottingham in my 3rd year so I can give my opinion on these!

Accommodation: The accommodation was really easy to make friends with since I was catered for, you ate dinner together each night and it was such a weight off your back not to have to cook in first year! Though of course there was self-catered accommodation too which was huge so so many options of people to meet. It was very decent in terms of rooms and size, mine was bigger than my room at home! I enjoyed my stay there a lot and made the friends I have now from my accommodation.

Nightlife: very student-y!! Every club and pub you go to in Nottingham will be full of students which gives it a very friendly vibe. It's so busy and the clubs are brilliant, cheap enough and so much fun. However, the city is also the best for restaurants and activities like mini golf so nice when you're not drinking too.

Diversity: the university is full of students from different countries, cultures and religions. Coming from quite an isolated city, I was able to meet so many different people and learn so much about their backgrounds and traditions. Just under a third of the students at Nottingham are international students so diversity is high.

Workload: it completely depends on how much work you want to do and what grade you want to achieve. Speaking from a Natural Sciences perspective as that's what course I do, I'd say the workload has always been manageable. It varies throughout the year with deadlines and exams but it is always do-able. I have never fallen really behind or been worried I didn't have enough time to do something, unless it was 100% my fault :colondollar:

I hope this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Laila

Thanks for your reply! I wasn’t much of a fan when I visited the accommodation on campus at university park campus, but the facilities look great and it looks really green and scenic!
Thanks for your reply! I wasn’t much of a fan when I visited the accommodation on campus at university park campus, but the facilities look great and it looks really green and scenic!

No worries! That's alright, there are also other off campus accommodations I forgot to mention before which I will link here: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/options/
I get that when you're looking at rooms they aren't like your one at home, so I understand :smile:
The facilities are brilliant, I love all the libraries, the sports centre and the labs are so high tech!

Let me know if you have any other questions:h:
Laila
No worries! That's alright, there are also other off campus accommodations I forgot to mention before which I will link here: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/options/
I get that when you're looking at rooms they aren't like your one at home, so I understand :smile:
The facilities are brilliant, I love all the libraries, the sports centre and the labs are so high tech!

Let me know if you have any other questions:h:
Laila

Are there any tips you’d give new students at Nottingham? Such as good accomodation, places to go, freshers events etc?
Reply 6
Are there any tips you’d give new students at Nottingham? Such as good accomodation, places to go, freshers events etc?

Hi! As the previous poster already mentioned, you can have a look at accommodation via the link they posted, which takes you to the Nottingham website. Which course are you interested in? If your course is based in University Park Campus, which most are, Broadgate Park would be a good choice as it is literally right outside the campus. If your course is based in Jubilee Campus, then Raleigh Park is really close as well. Just to note, both of these are self-catered accommodation as all catered accommodation are located in the university campuses.

A lot of Freshers events will be advertised to you in the weeks coming up to Freshers Week, but it is important to make sure you only purchase tickets from the official Students Union website, to avoid being scammed by buying from fake websites.

I'm a 4th Year Student at UoN so if you have any other questions about anything feel free to ask!

I hope this helps!
Original post by _Cation_
Hi! As the previous poster already mentioned, you can have a look at accommodation via the link they posted, which takes you to the Nottingham website. Which course are you interested in? If your course is based in University Park Campus, which most are, Broadgate Park would be a good choice as it is literally right outside the campus. If your course is based in Jubilee Campus, then Raleigh Park is really close as well. Just to note, both of these are self-catered accommodation as all catered accommodation are located in the university campuses.

A lot of Freshers events will be advertised to you in the weeks coming up to Freshers Week, but it is important to make sure you only purchase tickets from the official Students Union website, to avoid being scammed by buying from fake websites.

I'm a 4th Year Student at UoN so if you have any other questions about anything feel free to ask!

I hope this helps!

I’m wanting to study pharmacy at UoN I visited the accommodation at university park campus where pharmacy school is I didn’t see broad gate park it looks nice! How common is people sharing bathrooms however? I wasn’t sure if that was a common thing or if people usually get en-suite?
I’m wanting to study pharmacy at UoN I visited the accommodation at university park campus where pharmacy school is I didn’t see broad gate park it looks nice! How common is people sharing bathrooms however? I wasn’t sure if that was a common thing or if people usually get en-suite?

Broadgate Park is considered 'off-campus' accommodation. This is a really inaccurate title though as it is literally next door to campus. If you had entered Uni in the west entrance you would have driven past it. It is in the lower-left on the map.

http://www.gerc.ac.uk/documents/university-park-map.pdf

Sharing bathrooms is quite common in the catered accommodation as En-suites are limited (but they are still available). You will have more luck getting an En-suite in Broadgate as most are studio apartments.
Original post by mah1000000
Broadgate Park is considered 'off-campus' accommodation. This is a really inaccurate title though as it is literally next door to campus. If you had entered Uni in the west entrance you would have driven past it. It is in the lower-left on the map.

http://www.gerc.ac.uk/documents/university-park-map.pdf

Sharing bathrooms is quite common in the catered accommodation as En-suites are limited (but they are still available). You will have more luck getting an En-suite in Broadgate as most are studio apartments.

Oh that’s cool I like how close the campus is to the city but it’s not actually in the city centre
Oh that’s cool I like how close the campus is to the city but it’s not actually in the city centre

Yeah, it is definitely at a good distance. The campus feels complete and a great place to study but whenever you need to go to the city there is the brilliant Tram and buses which both have stops on campus.

Hey, I am a 3rd year student at the university of Nottingham.

I lived in off-campus accommodation in my first year and loved it. A lot of the focus is on Broadgate cause its such a large accommodation however I lived in St. Peters court.
This was slightly further off campus however if you were studying pharmacy the time it would take to walk across campus is the same as the time to walk from the other off campus accommodations. They are university halls however the company Unite students run them. A perk of this is the free bus that runs between main campus and the halls. St Peters court is also really close to both a Lidl and Aldi which makes budgeting a lot easier.
In terms of bathrooms, I had a en suite but I think that would be more expensive than a shared one.

Here is the link for the other off-campus accommodations:

https://www.unitestudents.com/nottingham

If you have any questions please let me know,
Emily :smile:

why is it nicknamed shottingham by others?
Original post by EmilyClarke24
Hey, I am a 3rd year student at the university of Nottingham.

I lived in off-campus accommodation in my first year and loved it. A lot of the focus is on Broadgate cause its such a large accommodation however I lived in St. Peters court.
This was slightly further off campus however if you were studying pharmacy the time it would take to walk across campus is the same as the time to walk from the other off campus accommodations. They are university halls however the company Unite students run them. A perk of this is the free bus that runs between main campus and the halls. St Peters court is also really close to both a Lidl and Aldi which makes budgeting a lot easier.
In terms of bathrooms, I had a en suite but I think that would be more expensive than a shared one.

Here is the link for the other off-campus accommodations:

https://www.unitestudents.com/nottingham

If you have any questions please let me know,
Emily :smile:

Thanks! Is Nottingham safe? I’ve seen a lot of news about spiking becoming a massive issue there.
Thanks! Is Nottingham safe? I’ve seen a lot of news about spiking becoming a massive issue there.

I think there are incidents like spiking in every city, personally I feel safe going out so I wouldnt let that put you off!
Original post by drea_vh
why is it nicknamed shottingham by others?

Thats very old school!!

Hiya, just to quickly answer your final question! Sharing a bathroom/bathrooms is common, whether it be between one other person or with around 3-7! I personally had an ensuite in my first year (I stayed in Cavendish hall, on campus) which was a luxury I didn't really need, but was cool to have for one year! All the rooms in cavendish are ensuite so everyone is in the same boat there.
All my friends I met outside of halls who did share bathrooms stressed to me how they didn't have issues with needed to use the bathroom and there not being space. People shower and get ready at different times, even more so at uni with such different schedules and lectures.
It's totally up to you which bathroom arrangement you'd feel most comfortable with as both work fine!

I know others have answered this already (thank you! :smile:) but I thought I'd give my quick opinion on it anyway.
I've genuinely heard positives about all the accommodations people I know have stayed in. It's more about choosing one that fits your budget, that you would be comfortable in, and then the people you interact with make the stay amazing!

Places to go varies but if you're looking for walks try Wollaton deer park or Attenborough nature reserve. Food places are so brilliant in Notts, some of my faves are Bohn's burgers, Bills, DoughNotts, Zizzis, Penny Lane (arcade bar!!), Mowgli but there are so many honestly they have every chain restaurant you can think of. The lost city adventure golf is really cool as well so I'd recommend trying that with some of your new mates when you get there.

Fresher's events are organised by your accommodation so it's such an easy way to make friends on those first few nights. Buses travel to and from the clubs so its a great way to ease you into the night life scene of a new city with new people. I would definitely recommend the hall organised events if it's your scene as your know they're well run, and everyone in your hall will be there!!

Thanks for your questions, I hope my recommendations are alright!
Laila
(edited 2 years ago)
I think there are incidents like spiking in every city, personally I feel safe going out so I wouldnt let that put you off!

Thank you!
I know others have answered this already (thank you! :smile:) but I thought I'd give my quick opinion on it anyway.
I've genuinely heard positives about all the accommodations people I know have stayed in. It's more about choosing one that fits your budget, that you would be comfortable in, and then the people you interact with make the stay amazing!

Places to go varies but if you're looking for walks try Wollaton deer park or Attenborough nature reserve. Food places are so brilliant in Notts, some of my faves are Bohn's burgers, Bills, DoughNotts, Zizzis, Penny Lane (arcade bar!!), Mowgli but there are so many honestly they have every chain restaurant you can think of. The lost city adventure golf is really cool as well so I'd recommend trying that with some of your new mates when you get there.

Fresher's events are organised by your accommodation so it's such an easy way to make friends on those first few nights. Buses travel to and from the clubs so its a great way to ease you into the night life scene of a new city with new people. I would definitely recommend the hall organised events if it's your scene as your know they're well run, and everyone in your hall will be there!!

Thanks for your questions, I hope my recommendations are alright!
Laila

Thank you for your responses! Notts definitely seems like a great place, would you say that catered is better than self catered? I’m not sure which id rather - the price difference seems quite a lot but would you say catered is worth the money?

Quick Reply