The Student Room Group

Should I do an art foundation year

Should I do a foundation year??
I’m in year 13 and have applied to uni but I really don’t want to go next year I feel like I’m not ready lol and don’t see that changing. But I feel if I took a gap year and didn’t do something educational I wouldn’t want to go to uni after hence why I’m considering a foundation year. I’m mainly considering an art and design one because I love art and textiles even thought I’ve applied to psych and want to study psych at uni. Would it be a waste of time? Or fun? Is it bad to do a foundation year that’s unrelated to the course you’re then going to study at uni? Also adding that it’s free so wouldn’t set me back finically or waste money.
Original post by Edithpettle
I’m in year 13 and have applied to uni but I really don’t want to go next year I feel like I’m not ready lol and don’t see that changing. But I feel if I took a gap year and didn’t do something educational I wouldn’t want to go to uni after hence why I’m considering a foundation year. I’m mainly considering an art and design one because I love art and textiles even thought I’ve applied to psych and want to study psych at uni. Would it be a waste of time? Or fun? Is it bad to do a foundation year that’s unrelated to the course you’re then going to study at uni? Also adding that it’s free so wouldn’t set me back finically or waste money.

It’d be somewhat okay if you did your foundation year at the same uni you wanted to study psychology at but it’d probably be a good idea to do the foundation year in psychology, if you’re not sure yet then do a gap year and save up some money before uni :smile:
Original post by Edithpettle

If you’re not sure whether a creative degree is for you then a foundation DIPLOMA in art and design (FAD - it’s not a foundation year) is a great choice. You have the chance to study art and design full time for a year without eating into your university funding, if you do decide to go down the creative route then you have help with producing a good portfolio and if you decide to go for a different subject then you have an extra qualification.

There’s an FAQ at the top of the art and design forum
Reply 3
do an art foundation year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cannot emphasise this enough !!! schools tend not to tell art students about this because it looks better for them if you go straight to uni, but the best artists at uni pretty much have always done an art foundation course first.

The course is free if you go to a college, i go to a local one and live at home as you don't get any loans. It is so much fun and really expands your knowledge as an artist and what you would like to apply for at uni. Also, you get SOOO many UCAS points for simply passing an art foundation course (it is not at all hard to pass, and anyone could achieve a distinction if they work hard enough).

theres plenty people who dont go on to an art degree, someone i know went on to do history at cambridge

Quick Reply

Latest