The Student Room Group
University of York
York

English at York 2022

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Afrs13
Haha I get you! You seem to be more of the Catholic than the Protestant. I do have to say Mary is very interesting, have you watched the horrible histories Mary song based on Kate Bush’s Wuthering Heights, love it

Yeah I’m more into the Catholicism bit, I’m not actually a Catholic myself though haha!! I did my EPQ on Mary I and loved it

Yessss I love it!! It’s one of my favs, other faves are the kings and queens song and the Henry VII one :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 21
Yeah I deffo like the Catholic side more and that’s so cool! I did mine on Greek Mythology compared to modern and historic literature. I did an artefact so I wrote my own novel !

Yes the Henry VIII one is timeless . I love the king George’s one too hahah
Original post by Afrs13
Yeah I deffo like the Catholic side more and that’s so cool! I did mine on Greek Mythology compared to modern and historic literature. I did an artefact so I wrote my own novel !

Yes the Henry VIII one is timeless . I love the king George’s one too hahah

Omg no way, I didn't realise you could write your own novel if you did an artefact, I defo would have done that as I have written a novel for fun already lol !! I did a dissertation. Yesss 'born to rule over you'
Reply 23
Yeah I did a novel, glossary to go with it, I painted my own illustrations and then I did a report and presentation to go with !
Original post by Afrs13
Yeah I did a novel, glossary to go with it, I painted my own illustrations and then I did a report and presentation to go with !

Awww that’s so cool omg I wish I had done that!! Well done on your creativity :smile:
Reply 25
Thank you hahah I just feel good that I’ve got it out my way now and I can completely focus on my a levels. What board is your english Literature? Mine is OCR
Original post by Afrs13
Thank you hahah I just feel good that I’ve got it out my way now and I can completely focus on my a levels. What board is your english Literature? Mine is OCR

Yesss I did my EPQ last year so I was so pleased to finish as well!! My English lit exam board is OCR as well - what texts do you do?
Original post by hamlethoratio
Such a relief to finish it haha, did you do an English lit related one? 100% will be doing the Austen module and cannot wait to do Approaches to Literature I too as it's stuff like Virginia Woolf and Mary Shelley 😍

Yeah I did! You?

And yesss exactly this is why though I don't quite know what order of firm choices I'll end up with, York will definitely be on there.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yeah I like the Tudors more too, actually, haha! Plantagenets are massively up there for me though - esp the powerful women in that era and the wars of the roses

My faves are Henry VIII's reign and Mary I's reign :smile: not an Anne Boleyn or Elizabeth I fan though, don't hate me!! More interested in Katherine of Aragon and Henry VIII's sister Mary Tudor, Queen of France

This is why history and English joint at York is perfect for me lol

Even from an English POV historical women are so fun (I also do history) because it's like... the same presentations as literature half the time in history. I always find the war of the roses women quite interesting, sadly not technically my area of study.
Reply 29
So we do Hamlet A and B question then we do Duchess of Malfi and Paradise Lost comparison and on the second paper we do dystopian unseen and Handmaid’s tale and 1984 comparison and then 2 pieces of coursework wbu?
Original post by Afrs13
So we do Hamlet A and B question then we do Duchess of Malfi and Paradise Lost comparison and on the second paper we do dystopian unseen and Handmaid’s tale and 1984 comparison and then 2 pieces of coursework wbu?

Yes, Hamlet as well and then we compare Paradise Lost and A Doll’s House for rest of paper 1. Then on paper 2 we do an American Literature unseen and compare The Great Gatsby and The Grapes of Wrath! We have 3 texts for coursework but one is poetry and really short
Original post by isometimesread
Yeah I did! Evil women in literature. You?

And yesss exactly this is why though I don't quite know what order of firm choices I'll end up with, York will definitely be on there.

I didn’t actually do a literature one! As I’ve applied for history and english, I did a history one - I did it on Mary I. Yep I am waiting to hear back on one offer but if I get rejected then I think that I will firm York, but if not, it’ll probably be my insurance but who knows?
Even from an English POV historical women are so fun (I also do history) because it's like... the same presentations as literature half the time in history. I always find the war of the roses women quite interesting, sadly not technically my area of study.

Yep that’s kinda why I wanted to do a joint History and English degree! I love Plantagenet women and Tudor women - it’s my favourite part of history, even if it’s not your area of study, it’s still interesting! Idk if you’ve read Philippa Gregory’s novels about the women of the wars of the roses but they’re so good! They are quite inaccurate in some places but still entertaining :smile:
Reply 33
I love Hamlet the most out of the course Shakespeare is just genius. For coursework we do Phillip Larkin poetry and then the other coursework we compare a play and a novel with one of the themes available
Original post by Afrs13
I love Hamlet the most out of the course Shakespeare is just genius. For coursework we do Phillip Larkin poetry and then the other coursework we compare a play and a novel with one of the themes available

Yep same - you can probably tell from my username that I’m a massive Hamlet fan haha!! Oh right we did Sylvia Plath poetry (loved it) and then do novel and play for theme as well :smile:
1. What A-Levels do you do?
English Lit, French and Psychology

2. What are your achieved/predicted grades?
AAA

3. What’s your favourite type of literature? (E.g. prefer plays or novels)
Epic poems/poems in general + novels

4. What’s your favourite piece of literature? (E.g. the bell jar is your favourite book)
Well so far I’m reading Little Women and it’s got a lovely cosy/cute feeling to it of course. However I’m a huge Rossetti fan so any work by her has my heart (Goblin Market!!!!)

5. Why York?

It’s supposed to be amazing for English and of course I want to learn as much as possible.
Original post by Anonymous
1. What A-Levels do you do?
English Lit, French and Psychology

2. What are your achieved/predicted grades?
AAA

3. What’s your favourite type of literature? (E.g. prefer plays or novels)
Epic poems/poems in general + novels

4. What’s your favourite piece of literature? (E.g. the bell jar is your favourite book)
Well so far I’m reading Little Women and it’s got a lovely cosy/cute feeling to it of course. However I’m a huge Rossetti fan so any work by her has my heart (Goblin Market!!!!)

5. Why York?

It’s supposed to be amazing for English and of course I want to learn as much as possible.

Omg I love Rossetti poetry too! A Better Resurrection is just beautifully tragic.
Yes, Hamlet as well and then we compare Paradise Lost and A Doll’s House for rest of paper 1. Then on paper 2 we do an American Literature unseen and compare The Great Gatsby and The Grapes of Wrath! We have 3 texts for coursework but one is poetry and really short

Do you choose your coursework? What is it you're doing? History as well
Do you choose your coursework? What is it you're doing? History as well

Nope I didn’t get to choose! For english lit we do Plath poetry, Atonement, and Arcadia

Then for history we do modern Russia

Wbu
Yep that’s kinda why I wanted to do a joint History and English degree! I love Plantagenet women and Tudor women - it’s my favourite part of history, even if it’s not your area of study, it’s still interesting! Idk if you’ve read Philippa Gregory’s novels about the women of the wars of the roses but they’re so good! They are quite inaccurate in some places but still entertaining

I haven't! I've looked at a lot of those kinds of books but I'm never sure which to read particularly with as you say, the historical inaccuracy stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending