The Student Room Group
University of York
York

English at York 2022

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Charlotticus
Hey!1 - English Literature, Religious Studies, Music, EPQ2 - A*, A*, A*, A3 - hmmm probably novels!!4 - I loooveee ‘Jane Eyre’, but at the moment I am reading ‘Circe’ by Madeleine Miller and loving it!!5 - The course looks amazing, and the campus is super green which I love. It is 4 hours away from home though, which is slightly daunting for me personally!

Oo I love Jane Eyre!! I might check that novel out then and York isn’t too near my home either so I agree it’s daunting but I think the uni looks so nice!!! :smile:
University of York
York
Original post by hamlethoratio
Oo I love Jane Eyre!! I might check that novel out then and York isn’t too near my home either so I agree it’s daunting but I think the uni looks so nice!!! :smile:

Yeahhh it’s definitely worth the distance!! Can’t wait haha, I think I’ll make it my firm soon.
Have you got your eyes on a particular college? :smile:
Yeahhh it’s definitely worth the distance!! Can’t wait haha, I think I’ll make it my firm soon.
Have you got your eyes on a particular college? :smile:

Yes I think so and I’m waiting on a Durham decision actually which is even further away from where I live haha. Aww that’s great!!

I really like Goodricke college for many reasons but mainly as it reminds me of these flats I went to when I was younger and it’s quite nostalgic!! Have you got your an eye on a particular college at all?
Yes I think so and I’m waiting on a Durham decision actually which is even further away from where I live haha. Aww that’s great!!

I really like Goodricke college for many reasons but mainly as it reminds me of these flats I went to when I was younger and it’s quite nostalgic!! Have you got your an eye on a particular college at all?

Awh nice!! Well good luck, I hope you get an offer! Durham looks lush.

Ahh cool, yeah Goodricke looks great. I love the look of Anne Lister because of how new the flats are! Not 100% sure yet though :smile:
Hi!

I’ve got an offer for English/History at York and thought it might be nice to meet with some other English applicants.

Here’s some ice breaker questions:

1. What A-Levels do you do?
2. What are your achieved/predicted grades?
3. What’s your favourite type of literature? (E.g. prefer plays or novels)
4. What’s your favourite piece of literature? (E.g. the bell jar is your favourite book)
5. Why York?

Hi, congrats on your offer!
English lit, politics, history, EPQ
A*A*A*A*
Probably novels
Favourite piece of literature is very hard, but I love Catch-22 and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
I think York will be my insurance uni, mainly because the english course looks so good but hoping to hear from durham soon which will probably be my firm - rejected from Cambridge a few days ago :frown:
Awh nice!! Well good luck, I hope you get an offer! Durham looks lush.

Ahh cool, yeah Goodricke looks great. I love the look of Anne Lister because of how new the flats are! Not 100% sure yet though :smile:

Thank you, I really hope so!! But if not I have York which will be great I’m sure :smile:

Oh yes that would be good as the rooms are probably quite modern and nice! Ah well good luck with deciding!
Original post by maddy1809
Hi, congrats on your offer!
English lit, politics, history, EPQ
A*A*A*A*
Probably novels
Favourite piece of literature is very hard, but I love Catch-22 and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
I think York will be my insurance uni, mainly because the english course looks so good but hoping to hear from durham soon which will probably be my firm - rejected from Cambridge a few days ago :frown:

Thank you, you too!! Ahh I love novels and I’ve never read any of those so I may have to. I’m planning to put York as my insurance Uni too!!

And maybe we’re living parallel lives haha as I was rejected from Oxford and am also hoping to hear back from Durham soon which I would firm. Good luck!
Thank you, you too!! Ahh I love novels and I’ve never read any of those so I may have to. I’m planning to put York as my insurance Uni too!!

And maybe we’re living parallel lives haha as I was rejected from Oxford and am also hoping to hear back from Durham soon which I would firm. Good luck!

good luck to you too!!
competition seemed really tough for oxbridge this year, i suppose we were competing with a lot of people in the year above with grades which were generally a lot higher than normal
Thank you! You too x
good luck to you too!!
competition seemed really tough for oxbridge this year, i suppose we were competing with a lot of people in the year above with grades which were generally a lot higher than normal

just to say, I got rejected from Cambridge too haha!! I’ve also heard it was extra hard to get in this year, so we should be super kind to ourselves!
good luck to you too!!

Thank you! Yes I think so!! And tbh I know I gave Oxford my absolute best shot so I have nothing to regret. I am sure we’ll have a great time at another uni whether that be york or elsewhere! :smile:
Same! Cambridge for me so it recent enough to be still smarting. It’s funny because last summer York was my top choice but the Oxbridge process reels you in. Great to think we might all end up at the same place, looks like we’d make a pretty great bunch. I’m also waiting for Durham which has now risen to my top choice but if we all end up at York together I’d be more than ok 😊
Original post by Anonymous
Same! Cambridge for me so it recent enough to be still smarting. It’s funny because last summer York was my top choice but the Oxbridge process reels you in. Great to think we might all end up at the same place, looks like we’d make a pretty great bunch. I’m also waiting for Durham which has now risen to my top choice but if we all end up at York together I’d be more than ok 😊

I’ve had time to process the Oxford rejection and honestly it does just get better with time and I think you sort of have to think that (as clichéd as it sounds) everything does happen for a reason! It is so lovely as this thread is full of people who seem so passionate about English! Ah well good luck to both of us with Durham then as that’s risen to my top choice too! :smile:
i think ill make york my insurance (BBB) or kcl (ABB) im not sure, as i got an offer from cambridge, i was originally planning on york
(edited 2 years ago)
I’ve had time to process the Oxford rejection and honestly it does just get better with time and I think you sort of have to think that (as clichéd as it sounds) everything does happen for a reason! It is so lovely as this thread is full of people who seem so passionate about English! Ah well good luck to both of us with Durham then as that’s risen to my top choice too! :smile:

Yes I’m starting to realise that I may have been chasing a rose tinted imaginary version of Cambridge rather than the reality. I think the balance is going to be better at either York and Durham, both of which are higher in The Times league table and have much broader courses! 😀Best of luck to you, hope we get in to the same place! I’m starting to get really excited 😁
Original post by Anonymous
Yes I’m starting to realise that I may have been chasing a rose tinted imaginary version of Cambridge rather than the reality. I think the balance is going to be better at either York and Durham, both of which are higher in The Times league table and have much broader courses! 😀Best of luck to you, hope we get in to the same place! I’m starting to get really excited 😁

Haha I think I was doing the same with Oxford tbh and it seems to be quite common to do so! Yes defo and honestly I get stressed out so easily meaning that Oxbridge with it’s short terms and high workload might have been too much for me plus the courses are great at Durham/York anyway! Ah thank you and I hope so too! It is very exciting definitely!! :smile:
Hello!! Sorry I'm late to the party- I've only recently been considering York seriously (I'm unsure about my chances with Durham lol).

I study English lit, History, Politics
Favourite piece of literature- possibly Joyce's Portrait of the Artist, but I also love Kafka.
York will probably be my insurance choice, but if I don't get into Durham then it'll be first.

Few questions- has anyone applied for accommodation yet? What accommodation is nearest to the English departments?
Original post by sokaa2004
Hello!! Sorry I'm late to the party- I've only recently been considering York seriously (I'm unsure about my chances with Durham lol).

I study English lit, History, Politics
Favourite piece of literature- possibly Joyce's Portrait of the Artist, but I also love Kafka.
York will probably be my insurance choice, but if I don't get into Durham then it'll be first.

Few questions- has anyone applied for accommodation yet? What accommodation is nearest to the English departments?

Hi!

It's great to hear that you're considering coming to York! I'm a recent grad (not English I'm afraid), but I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the University in general, accommodation, student life etc. I actually studied Portrait of the Artist in the first year of my Music degree at York because we created a musical based on the book. I had to dress up as a goat from hell at one point!

The Department of English and Related Literature is based in Derwent College, so that would be the nearest accommodation available. However, Vanbrugh College and Alcuin College are also really close. To be honest, it would be a short walk from any accommodation block on Campus West (see map).

If the Campus East colleges take your fancy, we have free regular shuttle buses between campuses so it's easy to get around.

I'd recommend applying for accommodation as soon as possible, as the date you apply is taken into consideration when allocating rooms. Even if you change your preferences later, we’ll use the date of your original application so best to get in quick!

I hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:
Haha, I would have liked to see that musical!

That's really useful, thanks:smile:
Haha I think I was doing the same with Oxford tbh and it seems to be quite common to do so! Yes defo and honestly I get stressed out so easily meaning that Oxbridge with it’s short terms and high workload might have been too much for me plus the courses are great at Durham/York anyway! Ah thank you and I hope so too! It is very exciting definitely!! :smile:

Hi saw you went to an English open day. Did you manage to go in person? I went to an online open day for English and it looked really promising but I would really have liked to go in person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending