MSc Finance differentiation

Watch
dannyshiers
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a one year MSc Finance student and need some mathematical help:

I need some help with one step of this differentiation calculation. It is the ln(1-p).

I understand that the log of x is just 1/x so that is where the 1/1-p comes from. But what I don’t understand is where is the -1 comes from.
I know you do 2 diff calculations with things inside the bracket and then outside the bracket but I’m stuck with what rule to apply to get the (-1) in the below equation.

I also understand and can calculate the rest of the equation so it’s just the -1 i need some help with.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks 👍

Name:  IMG_6218.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  209.4 KB
simon0
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
One way to treat this is a function within a function:

\displaystyle f(p) \, = \, \mathrm{ln} ( g(p) ).

If: g(p) = 1-p , g'(p) = ?

Can you see where the -1 comes from?
Last edited by simon0; 1 month ago
econhelp525
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Use the chain rule.
dannyshiers
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks both, it makes sense now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (30)
7.09%
October 2021 (194)
45.86%
November 2021 (44)
10.4%
December 2021 (56)
13.24%
January 2021 (46)
10.87%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.22%