A-level options - help!!!!

Watch
username5869699
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi!
I am going for a 6th form interview in 2 weeks, but I have no idea on what to pick! I really need some help! I have the option to take 4 A-levels at maximum, but I am interested in 5:
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Economics
- Psychology
- Photography

Can anyone kindly advise me? It'll be most appreciated!!! Thank you!
_Rusty_
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hmqsd)
Hi!
I am going for a 6th form interview in 2 weeks, but I have no idea on what to pick! I really need some help! I have the option to take 4 A-levels at maximum, but I am interested in 5:
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Economics
- Psychology
- Photography

It's best to do 3. 4 or 5 doesn't advantage you in any sense and makes life harder for yourself. What are you interested in doing after A Levels? Out of all of them, photography seems to be an outlier though
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Good luck doing 5 A-levels!!! I love gullible year 11s thinking A-levels are so easy
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chris01928)
It's best to do 3. 4 or 5 doesn't advantage you in any sense and makes life harder for yourself. What are you interested in doing after A Levels? Out of all of them, photography seems to be an outlier though
PRSOM
username5869699
Rep:
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
Good luck doing 5 A-levels!!! I love gullible year 11s thinking A-levels are so easy
Hahaha!! This one made me laugh!
username5869699
Rep:
Hi! Thank you so much for your reply! I wanted to do medicine for a degree, but currently at my school we have not gotten any support in science, especially chemistry and physics. I would be willing to do chemistry at A-level, and photography as a 4th a level, I thought would be ok as it's not that content heavy (according to the photography dep.). What would you advise me to take and which ones are the best subjects in your opinion? Thank you!!!
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hmqsd)
Hi! Thank you so much for your reply! I wanted to do medicine for a degree, but currently at my school we have not gotten any support in science, especially chemistry and physics. I would be willing to do chemistry at A-level, and photography as a 4th a level, I thought would be ok as it's not that content heavy (according to the photography dep.). What would you advise me to take and which ones are the best subjects in your opinion? Thank you!!!
The first page of this thread()https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422 has a lot of information. You pretty much have to do chem and bios pretty useful. I wouldn't take a 4th A Level if you don't need to (especially considering that its unrelated)
username5869699
Rep:
The first page of this thread()https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422 has a lot of information. You pretty much have to do chem and bios pretty useful. I wouldn't take a 4th A Level if you don't need to (especially considering that its unrelated)
Thank you so much! Also, do you have any opinions on Economics and Psychology?
Thank you so much once again!
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hmqsd)
Thank you so much! Also, do you have any opinions on Economics and Psychology?
Thank you so much once again!
Nope - I did Maths and an EPQ! Psychology is more medicine-related but that doesn't mean I recommend it. Have a little read around but don't do 5 or 4
username5869699
Rep:
Nope - I did Maths and an EPQ! Psychology is more medicine-related but that doesn't mean I recommend it. Have a little read around but don't do 5 or 4
Thank you so much!!!
booklover1313
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username5869699)
Thank you so much!!!
I'm not sure that photography would be very well respected by med schools. I would do maths bio chem & economics, but prepare to drop econ if it gets too much.
chai2k6
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by booklover1313)
I'm not sure that photography would be very well respected by med schools. I would do maths bio chem & economics, but prepare to drop econ if it gets too much.
Thank you!
saharali005
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username5869699)
Hi!
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Economics
- Psychology
- Photography

I take bio and chem and I’ll tell you they’re very content heavy. If you’re good at managing your time
chai2k6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by saharali005)
I take bio and chem and I’ll tell you they’re very content heavy. If you’re good at managing your time
Hi! Which one out of bio and Chemistry would you say is more hard, and what grades did you get in GCSE to take them at A-level? Thank you!!!
saharali005
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chai2k6)
Hi! Which one out of bio and Chemistry would you say is more hard, and what grades did you get in GCSE to take them at A-level? Thank you!!!
In gcse I got a 9 in bio and an 8 in chem (I was robbed from that 9 ) I do take IAL edexcel but it’s so similar to a level. My entire class said that the first year bio was easier than chem but the second year bio was harder (but that’s because my teacher is horrible). If you find memorisation subjects easier, biology would be easier but if you find logic based subjects easier then chem would be easier. But I’ll be completly honest if you do just loads of exam questions, you could defo got an A/A* easily. Both sciences are all just understanding content and doing exam papers to be honest. Especially since with bio all the questions are so similar and so are the markschemes and chem just needs practice. So as long as you keep on top of notes and watch videos and do past papers before exams you should be fine.
chai2k6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by saharali005)
In gcse I got a 9 in bio and an 8 in chem (I was robbed from that 9 ) I do take IAL edexcel but it’s so similar to a level. My entire class said that the first year bio was easier than chem but the second year bio was harder (but that’s because my teacher is horrible). If you find memorisation subjects easier, biology would be easier but if you find logic based subjects easier then chem would be easier. But I’ll be completly honest if you do just loads of exam questions, you could defo got an A/A* easily. Both sciences are all just understanding content and doing exam papers to be honest. Especially since with bio all the questions are so similar and so are the markschemes and chem just needs practice. So as long as you keep on top of notes and watch videos and do past papers before exams you should be fine.
Thank you so so much!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.19%
October 2021 (223)
44.51%
November 2021 (60)
11.98%
December 2021 (64)
12.77%
January 2021 (60)
11.98%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.58%