Do accountants actually make as much as I thought they do?

Watch
Ibs223
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Some sources say they earn around 100k others say more or less. How much do most accountants realistically earn?
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
It varies. Some do indeed earn over £100k, some don't.
Ibs223
Rep:
(Original post by gtty123)
It varies. Some do indeed earn over £100k, some don't.
What do you think a average salary is in accounting? Will most make it above 50k a year ?
Little pecker
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you get into a grad scheme doing audit or tax and work in London you can reasonably expect to make £100k or more at some point in your career.

Big 4 grads leave their schemes on 44-49k and can expect to make 60-70 (some more) the first time they jump. Give it 5-10 years and a promotion they’ll eventually make 100k atleast.
Last edited by Little pecker; 1 month ago
gtty123
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ibs223)
What do you think a average salary is in accounting? Will most make it above 50k a year ?
Not "most", but again, it'd vary and rely on different factors. Like, for example, the location.
Ibs223
Rep:
(Original post by Little pecker)
If you get into a grad scheme doing audit or tax and work in London you can reasonably expect to make £100k or more at some point in your career.

Big 4 grads leave their schemes on 44-49k and can expect to make 60-70 (some more) the first time they jump. Give it 5-10 years and a promotion they’ll eventually make 100k atleast.
You mentioned for top graduates. So what would be the numbers for an average graduate?
Ibs223
Rep:
Not "most", but again, it'd vary and rely on different factors. Like, for example, the location.
I had thought almost all accountants would earn over 50k at one point. So the lucrative side is only for the best graduates
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Some sources say they earn around 100k others say more or less. How much do most accountants realistically earn?
What is it with TSR kids, where they think that common professions like accountancy have a 'general' salary of £100,000 :laugh:
Ibs223
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
What is it with TSR kids, where they think that common professions like accountancy have a 'general' salary of £100,000 :laugh:
Blame it on the internet. I don’t personally know any accountants so my only source for information is looking at Google. It would be nicer if you could put in your input from your experience rather than laughing
gtty123
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I had thought almost all accountants would earn over 50k at one point. So the lucrative side is only for the best graduates
Imagine the amount of people doing Accounting if this were true.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No, no they don't

Well, mob ones might. But they prob still need to do other mob stuff on their time off.
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Blame it on the internet. I don’t personally know any accountants so my only source for information is looking at Google. It would be nicer if you could put in your input from your experience rather than laughing
It's laughable because it's just common sense that an 'average' salary isn't going to be £100,000. You don't need google, or a gaggle of accountancy friends to know that.
Ibs223
Rep:
Imagine the amount of people doing Accounting if this were true.
This is very eye opening. Here’s me thinking accountants are all going to make it big eventually. 🤣
Ibs223
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
It's laughable because it's just common sense that an 'average' salary isn't going to be £100,000. You don't need google, or a gaggle of accountancy friends to know that.
I didn’t say average salaries would be 100k. I’m aware starting is around 20-30k. However I did think that almost all will eventually be earning 70-100k later on in there careers. So the fact that someone mentioned not many will earn over 50k has really opened my eyes to the truth
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
you could download salary surveys if interested.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I didn’t say average salaries would be 100k. I’m aware starting is around 20-30k. However I did think that almost all will eventually be earning 70-100k later on in there careers. So the fact that someone mentioned not many will earn over 50k has really opened my eyes to the truth
There is a huge regional variation. Much easier to earn £70k in greater London than in South Wales, the South West etc.
gtty123
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
This is very eye opening. Here’s me thinking accountants are all going to make it big eventually. 🤣
It takes a specific group of people to achieve that.
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You've already asked this question, in a manner of speaking, and had it answered - several replies in that thread state that 'most accountants don't earn £100k'
Name:  Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 13.09.25.png
Views: 47
Size:  46.3 KB

I don't really understand why you're asking it again, really.
Last edited by Reality Check; 1 month ago
Ibs223
Rep:
It takes a specific group of people to achieve that.
Makes sense. Thank you.
gtty123
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Makes sense. Thank you.
No worries.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.69%
Note taking apps (7)
1.86%
Flashcards (86)
22.81%
Revision guides (19)
5.04%
Past papers (172)
45.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.98%

Watched Threads