parents dont let me study

Watch
shelleydrowning
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have overly strict parents and they dont let me out anywhere, im not even allowed to go to the library, i dont have a desk so the dining table in the living room is the only place i can study however i have a big family and if theres one thing i hate more than anything, is noise, and even after ive asked my parents to turn the volume down of the tv they continue to turn it up because they think im being selfish. They think i dont want to spend time with them but in reality im a teenager that just wants to be alone, my mum has quite blatantly said to my face that she doesnt care about my education, if i can clean and cook, thats the only thing that matters, ive had 6 mocks last week and ive been breaking down, waiting until 9pm to 3am to do my revision when everyones gone to sleep, and no one has asked me how ive been at all, theyve given me no support throughout anything, and i mean no support at all, but theyll get angry if i dont get good grades??? I have 5 mocks this upcoming week (starting tomorrow) and i am clueless, ;(( coming from a grade 7-9 student.
JA03
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by shelleydrowning)
I have overly strict parents and they dont let me out anywhere, im not even allowed to go to the library, i dont have a desk so the dining table in the living room is the only place i can study however i have a big family and if theres one thing i hate more than anything, is noise, and even after ive asked my parents to turn the volume down of the tv they continue to turn it up because they think im being selfish. They think i dont want to spend time with them but in reality im a teenager that just wants to be alone, my mum has quite blatantly said to my face that she doesnt care about my education, if i can clean and cook, thats the only thing that matters, ive had 6 mocks last week and ive been breaking down, waiting until 9pm to 3am to do my revision when everyones gone to sleep, and no one has asked me how ive been at all, theyve given me no support throughout anything, and i mean no support at all, but theyll get angry if i dont get good grades??? I have 5 mocks this upcoming week (starting tomorrow) and i am clueless, ;(( coming from a grade 7-9 student.
I've been in this situation last year when it was Eid and I was going to school instead of stay at home with family because I had 4 tests that day that would determine my final grade and my mum had forbidden me to go because she thought that I was lying and she never let me study because she thought I was lying. If you want a place to study, stay after school and say you're at a club or something but if it's really that bad at home, then I would suggest staying with a friend for the rest of the school year and hopefully manage your time so you can try to be emancipated from your parents.
TriplexA
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I have overly strict parents and they dont let me out anywhere, im not even allowed to go to the library, i dont have a desk so the dining table in the living room is the only place i can study however i have a big family and if theres one thing i hate more than anything, is noise, and even after ive asked my parents to turn the volume down of the tv they continue to turn it up because they think im being selfish. They think i dont want to spend time with them but in reality im a teenaHi ger that just wants to be alone, my mum has quite blatantly said to my face that she doesnt care about my education, if i can clean and cook, thats the only thing that matters, ive had 6 mocks last week and ive been breaking down, waiting until 9pm to 3am to do my revision when everyones gone to sleep, and no one has asked me how ive been at all, theyve given me no support throughout anything, and i mean no support at all, but theyll get angry if i dont get good grades??? I have 5 mocks this upcoming week (starting tomorrow) and i am clueless, ;(( coming from a grade 7-9 student.
Hi there.

Could you have a word with a teacher about joining after school revision sessions if you're home work environment isn't suitable. I'm sorry to hear about your situation and you're dedication to studying is remarkable.

Wish you all the best.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Can you study in your bedroom during the evening?

I would also talk to a teacher - many of our students stay to revision groups after school.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I honestly cannot understand families that don't value their children's education.

I think some of the advice given above is worth trying. Speaking to your personal tutor at school might offer a few solutions.
whitecapbay
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi shelleydrowning,

This exact situation happened to me when I was going through secondary school. My mother didn't understand how important getting an education was. My father wanted me to succeed at everything. However, I lived with my mother. I didn't have a desk either, and a lot of brothers and sisters - all of which did not complete secondary school. It is such an unfair position to be in, considering most parents are supportive in every way and want the best for their children. I would recommended doing what I did. Be proactive. Speak to your teachers and tutors about the situation. They may offer you guidance. They could even see about getting you a desk if your parents can't/won't get you one (if you have already asked them). You can also stay after school for a few hours to get some extra work done there. Make a schedule of all your exams and set specific times you're going to revise each subject. This means you can maximise the amount of revision you can get done in the hours at your dining table/after school/in your room without losing any valuable time. It's so important to be proactive when your parents are not pushing you to be successful. Trust me, I know! I am the only one in my family to succeed and graduate from University. You can do it too!

Feel free to PM me whenever!
Ham3a_
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Wow, I never realised how lucky I was to have a parents that encourage my studies.
This will definetely encourage me to revise a lot more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (12)
6.35%
October 2021 (92)
48.68%
November 2021 (19)
10.05%
December 2021 (29)
15.34%
January 2021 (15)
7.94%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (19)
10.05%