Am I a failure or unintelligent if i get below a 4 (C) in my mock/GCSE results?

Watch
chloe glover
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This has been on the top of my worry list since last year when I has started my results, I was very disappointed with my mock results last year, the only pass i had gotten that is not a BTEC is english literature which i had gotten a 4L, equivalent to a C-, the rest was a failure, which of all of them had been a 3 (D) on average, maths had been the worst which I had gotten a 2 equivalent to an E. This had been effecting my self esteem lately and I just feel like a worthless, useless failure, I do not think I can get any form of decent life in the future, not to mention my PPEs are due tomorrow. I feel I had wasted 15 years of my life to get absolutely nothing in return. The new variant is not helping either, my school had said that if we go on another lockdown, they would use my PPE mock results as the GCSEs, which is not very convenient in the slightest for me, it takes me more time to remember and fill out the papers and even if I think to myself I had done the best I can, I get mediocre quality at best. Does that make me stupid and worthless to society? am i a failure of myself altogether? is there anything left I can do?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chloe glover)
This has been on the top of my worry list since last year when I has started my results, I was very disappointed with my mock results last year, the only pass i had gotten that is not a BTEC is english literature which i had gotten a 4L, equivalent to a C-, the rest was a failure, which of all of them had been a 3 (D) on average, maths had been the worst which I had gotten a 2 equivalent to an E. This had been effecting my self esteem lately and I just feel like a worthless, useless failure, I do not think I can get any form of decent life in the future, not to mention my PPEs are due tomorrow. I feel I had wasted 15 years of my life to get absolutely nothing in return. The new variant is not helping either, my school had said that if we go on another lockdown, they would use my PPE mock results as the GCSEs, which is not very convenient in the slightest for me, it takes me more time to remember and fill out the papers and even if I think to myself I had done the best I can, I get mediocre quality at best. Does that make me stupid and worthless to society? am i a failure of myself altogether? is there anything left I can do?
TSR isn't a good place for you to be right now - it's skewed very far away from 'normal', and not helping you view your results in a calm and objective manner.

Self worth is not based on pieces of paper you collect along your academic journey. Please don't fall into that trap
teebslmao
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Grades don't define someone's intelligence. No matter what grades you get, you will always be intelligent one way or another! And also do not forget you can uplift your grades, it's never too late (especially if you are worried about how they may affect your future). Practice is the best possible revision technique and it can massively increase your scores. If there is a particular subject you'd like advice on how to study for then please let me know, I'd be more than happy to direct you to resources that helped me!
teebslmao
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Since you stated that maths has been difficult for you, then i'd 100% recommend physicsandmathstutor.com, they have revision resources as well as practice papers where you can test yourself and see how much you understand! If there are any topics that you feel are tricky then please do talk to a teacher and ask them for help or you can post your question here on thestudentroom and people will most likely help you out
TriplexA
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there.

You are not a failure believe me. You have done amazingly to get this far! The fact that you wrote this shows you truly care and that in itself is amazing. Learning takes time and effort and if you're trying your best that's all you can ask of yourself. I got a D in chemistry for my actual grade but I never gave up and ended up with an A* this year. If I can do it then I believe that you can do it too, it'll just take time to get there and once you have got those amazing grades, which I know you can get, you'll be over the moon and realise it was all worth it. The easiest thing to do is give up right now but if you truly know you tried your best then you can't regret it.

I understand you're feelings and wish you all the best.
Hope this helps.
Last edited by TriplexA; 1 month ago
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Wow no, you are not a failure or worthless to society.

Contrary to popular opinion, your worth is not determined by your grades. Yes of course you should try your hardest to do your best with your studies, but not every is academic, and that's okay.

One of my children is not academic at ALL. I'm trying my hardest at the moment to get him through just 5 GCSEs (2 this year, 3 next year) and I think he'll be lucky to scrape 4s, if he even manages that.
Does that mean his worth is less than that of my other children who are more academically inclined? Absolutely 100% not.

Getting good grades is all well and good, but it's not the be all and end all. You must not think like that. It may surprise you to learn that a very very large number of people don't have any GCSEs at all. TSR is not representative of the status quo - a lot of people on TSR have high grades, but that doesn't mean it accurately reflects real life.

Nobody can ask more of you than your best. If your best still means you're not academic, then you're not academic. Your life will be just fine going in a different direction.

In the very apt words of the Levellers, there's only one way of life and that's your own.
Don't compare yourself to other people.
LaurrieMM
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
There are plenty of very successful people that did not get good grades at school. Your teachers did not teach you properly. Don't worry you can work on your grades later at a college, employers will value your wonderful personal traits more than your GCSE results.
Bubblegum07
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ok That's fine GCSE's aren't the end of the world - you still have your whole life to accomplish anything!! - I'm in Yr 11 and have recently done my mocks and even if I don't do that great I know have have enough time to improve those grades, also idk about you but I still have about 2/3 more mocks which I know I can definitely improve on.

Hopefully this let's you know that GCSE's are just another exam that I know EVERYONE can SMASH (not literally smash but you get it)
lolbat
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
The reality is: it’s not the best. Ur not the best and u never will be. But see.. u don’t have to be. U have to be better thsn yesterday. It’s competition with urself. What is happening right now is hard work not effective work. You can improve your grades for sure as winners are losers who keep trying.
For now: identify your mistakes and understand what it is you find weak. In many cases it’s the easy and basic topics which have not provided a good foundation for people. Start from the beginning and slowly, 30 minutes a day per subject. It’s about consistency. In addition, you need to work out a way to revise. Simply reading is not useful and simply doing past papers isn’t either. It’s a balance. Before you attempt past papers, which domt alwasy cover every single detail, you must learn everything. Then try past papers and see what is STILL weak. This iterative process of learning testing learning testing is important. Keep doing it and keep prevailing at this and see how u improve. Humans memory is a thing which must be trained, not crammed into.
Good luck, stay positive, and don’t panic. You have got a life ahead of u don’t let this trip u up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (12)
6.25%
October 2021 (94)
48.96%
November 2021 (20)
10.42%
December 2021 (29)
15.1%
January 2021 (15)
7.81%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (19)
9.9%