Official Cambridge 2022 Decisions [No Discussion] Thread

Watch this thread
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hey guys, It's now two years since ohdearstudying stole this thread idea from Doones (who of course stole it from Zacken), so I'm stealing it myself for the second year running. Please update the thread below

You can post in this thread to be forever captured in time and to let others know what your outcome was!
Like last year it is being posted early so you can post a placeholder if you wish to do so, or, you could fill it in now - whichever you prefer!

Decisions will be sent out on Tuesday 25th January 2022 and that is the university-wide decision date. You should receive your decision via email and then a follow-up letter if you are successful. UCAS Track will take a few days to update.

Please use the following format, deleting the bits that aren't relevant to you and if you can include your predicted decision alongside the decision you receive from Cambridge that would be really useful (I think we will see many many examples of poor self-reflection!)

Here's the template, see my post #2 or last year's thread for examples (to preserve the formatting use the quote or reply buttons and delete the [quote] tags)
All the (predicted) decision options
Predicted / Decision: Pending
Predicted / Decision: Accepted
Predicted / Decision: Accepted from Pool
Predicted / Decision: Rejected from Pool
Predicted / Decision: Rejected

Decision:
Predicted Decision:

Course:
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled):
Offer conditions:
By what method did you hear (Email/Letter/UCAS/owl):
Where were you when you heard:

Optional (but preferable!)
Home, EU or International (Country):
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/Other):
GCSE Grades:
AS Subjects & Grades (include UMS if you have it):
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades:
Other Qualifications:
IB (with predicted score):
Other:

Reflection
Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc):
(include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 9=excellent)

Interview reflection:
(include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 10=excellent)

Why did you choose your college?

What other universities did you apply to?

If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice?

If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight?

General Comments & Advice for others:

Any official feedback received from your college:
(If you have not received it yet, it would be most helpful and appreciated if you could come back to this post and edit in the feedback you receive)
How do I get feedback?
Last edited by Theloniouss; 5 months ago
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Decision: Accepted via Pool, then Pooled again in Summer
Predicted Decision: rejected

Course: Natural Sciences (Biological)
College: Interviewed at Girton, Pooled to Churchill in Winter then Lucy Cavendish in Summer
Offer conditions: A*A*A (A*s in Chem and FM)
By what method did you hear: Email
Where were you when you heard: Bed

Home, EU or International: Home
School Type: Comprehensive
GCSE Grades: 999998776
A2 Subjects & Achieved Grades: A*A*A* in Biology, Maths, Further Maths; A in Chemistry

Reflection
Strengths: Genius
Weaknesses: Green veg :puke:

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment: NSAA, probably scored about a 7 (Actually scored over 24 in total, more than 8 per section on average)

Interview reflection: Probably a 6, thought it went okay but not great

Why did you choose your college? I didn't, open application

What other universities did you apply to? Warwick, St Andrews, Lancaster, York
What's your insurance choice? Warwick

General Comments & Advice for others: Nothing that will help you now :lol:
Try not to worry about it, other universities are just nearly as good as Cambridge and you can achieve whatever you want wherever you go :goodluck:
Last edited by Theloniouss; 5 months ago
duckstop
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Decision: Rejected from pool

Predicted Decision: Rejected from pool

Course: History of Art
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Selwyn
Offer conditions:
By what method did you hear (Email/Letter/UCAS/owl): Email
Where were you when you heard: At school, my friends read it out for me because I got a bit nervy and their faces when they saw I'd been rejected were pretty funny

Home, EU or International (Country): Home
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/Other): State
GCSE Grades: 999988777
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades: A* A* A in History, English Lang and Lit, and Art

Reflection
Strengths: When I wasn't running a point into the ground by going on and on I think they were pretty good?

Weaknesses: Repeated myself a lot, blanked out quite a few times, vague and rambly

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment: 5, again with the rambling and with half an hour for each comparison I couldn't really afford it so I think that weakened me

Interview reflection: 6/7? They did say I made some interesting comments but I was quite vague and I think I lost my point a few times

Why did you choose your college? Searched up the one with the most state schooled students, plus it was one of the only ones with an in person open day

What other universities did you apply to? St Andrews, Sussex, Durham, and Edinburgh

If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? Sussex

If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight? St Andrews

General Comments & Advice for others: Do as many practise interviews beforehand if you can, they really helped me feel more comfortable (although I was still bricking it admittedly)

Last edited by duckstop; 3 months ago
ginfade
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Decision: Rejected from Pool
Predicted Decision: Accepted from Pool

Course: computer science
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Queens'
Offer conditions: -
Where were you when you heard: Class

School Type (Private/State/Grammar/Other): Private
GCSE Grades: 99999999887
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A* - Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science

Reflection
Strengths: TMUA

Weaknesses: CSAT

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc): TMUA, I thought it went well and predicted around 8-9, my actual score was 8.3.
CSAT, very hard, not expecting anything above 60-70.

Interview reflection:
Hard to say but I think it went well, a few minor slip ups but nothing too major hopefully. I would say around a 7-8

large computer science intake, interesting professors, nice outgoing community

Imperial, St Andrews, Warwick

St Andrews

If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight?
St Andrews/Imperial

Start working on the application early and make sure you do stuff for your PS, if you leave it too late it all happens very quickly.
Treat the interview just like a conversation with them, the 2 things they are looking for are passion for the subject and ability to learn.

--
Last edited by ginfade; 3 months ago
username5798626
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Decision: Pooled then Accepted
Predicted Decision: Rejected

Course: NatSci
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Caius to Homerton
Where were you when you heard: In the car with my mum

Reflection
Strengths: PS

Weaknesses:
NSAA

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc):
NSAA - Everyone was complaining about the Maths section on the day online but I thought I did reasonably well, however looking at the grade boundaries I must not have done as stellar as I thought (As I don't think I got 20/20)

My Physics S1 went terribly, although I managed to claw back a few questions, not sure if I got them right though. Physics S2 was similar but I think I did better. Holding out hopes that I'm one of people who get offers despite low admissions assessment scores, but I'm not expecting anything.

Overall I'd give it a 4. (Much like my predicted score!)

Interview reflection:
1st: I did a lot of the questions they had for me and I think I said some intelligent things, but I overcomplicated some easy stuff. They seemed unimpressed but not entirely critical of me. 6/10
2nd: I got quite far into one of the questions and reached a point I had no clue so I was saying things that made sense scientifically, I think the interviewer wasn't listening because he started to explain something I had mentioned. The other interviewers' question was unfamiliar but I got it correct again using my reasoning, this time a tinsy bit more coherent: I wish I had spent less time on the other question, because I felt my ability was finally on show... 7/10

First years all together, sporty reputation, pretty central-ish - I like to meet people and play sports

Warwick, Bath, Imperial, Birmingham, some US colleges (T5s)

Bath

if I get a US college with nice fin-aid, I'll go there, but otherwise I'm quite unsure, as of this comment, probably Imperial if they give me a place.

First term of Y13 is stressful. Make sure you actually prepare for admissions tests. Enjoy your interview if you get one.
Edit: Interview is most important.
--
Last edited by username5798626; 3 months ago
Agbudd
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Decision: rejected from pool (I may be a reject, but at least I can evaluate my own performance hehe)
Predicted Decision: rejected from pool

Course: Law
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Peterhouse
Offer conditions: N/A
By what method did you hear (Email/Letter/UCAS/owl): email at about 3
Where were you when you heard: in the car with my amigos

Home, EU or International (Country): home
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/Other): private
GCSE Grades: 9999999988
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A* in biology, history, psychology and EPQ
Other Qualifications:
Other:

Reflection
Strengths: Cambridge law test (mostly), personal statement showed interest in the subject and Roman law specifically in my SAQ, essay competitions and stuff like that, first interview, grades

Weaknesses: second interview, probably don't have the most law-suitable A-levels as most people I know applying for law do both history and English literature but idk how important this is, my CLT was a bit rambly in parts and I defo repeated myself in my first paragraph, I also chose the question that everyone seems to have chosen (iykyk) which probably doesn't make me very unique

I wanna say 7? - I think the points I made were pretty convincing and I counter-argued well, like I mentioned before it was a bit rambly and repetitive at the beginning and I definitely have done better practice essays but it didn't go atrociously

Interview reflection:
First interview 9 - the interviewers seemed pleased with my responses and were nodding a lot, I linked my answers at some points to topical issues which they seemed pleased with and I wasn't seriously tripped up by any of the questions. I think there were a couple of areas where there was more that I could have said but overall I came out feeling it went decently and I definitely enjoyed it.

Second interview 2 - bit of a contrast here. I messed up from the beginning (the first question they asked me I misheard and answered completely wrong, which the interview explicitly pointed out to me lol), the interviewers didn't seem pleased with anything I said and simply responded with mmmm ok after long pauses, I completely contradicted the argument I went with in my CLT when asked about it in the interview and just generally acted like a bit of an idiot

Small but accepts a decent amount of law students, pretty, big library for the size of the college, central and close to the law faculty

Durham, Exeter, Warwick, York (only received an offer from York so far)

Either Warwick or York, kinda undecided as Warwick has a better reputation and graduate prospects than York but I think I prefer York as a place

Durham (hopefully, if they give my an offer lol), if not then Exeter

Try not to overthink the whole process too much (says me sitting here overthinking it all), in the grand scheme of things it's just not that deep and you should just enjoy the opportunity to explore your subject.
Practice for the admissions test and try to do a mock interview/ speak to someone about your subject - I become much more articulate both verbally and in my writing after practice.
Keep up to date on topical issues that relate to your subject and bring them up where it seems relevant at interview (for law I would recommend the guardian law review).
Do as much as you can in year 12, including wider reading, essay competitions, courses ... It's difficult to know what you will end up including in your personal statement until you've drafted it several times, so to allow yourself to have the best possible personal statement where your ideas flow, do as much as you can early on without overworking yourself.
Try to enjoy the interview as much as possible. It's a great opportunity to get to speak to top academics in your subject so just enjoy the intellectual discussion irrespective of its outcome

(If you have not received it yet, it would be most helpful and appreciated if you could come back to this post and edit in the feedback you receive)
Ill update when I hear back
Last edited by Agbudd; 3 months ago
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
Decision:
Predicted Decision: Pooled, then Rejection

College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Lucy Cavendish
Offer conditions:

School Type (Private/State/Grammar/Other): State
GCSE Grades: 988877666
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades: A*A*A* in psychology, english lang and lit, and history
Other Qualifications:
Other:

Reflection
Strengths: i think, after a lot of prompting and redirecting, i gave the answers they were looking for

Weaknesses: took a lot of prompting, my mind went blank and i said the first thing that came to mind.

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc): probably a 5. wasn’t a very fleshed out argument.

Interview reflection: probably a 5. i did engage with the interviewers but i don’t feel like they thought i was worth challenging.

Why did you choose your college? open application

What other universities did you apply to? ucl, warwick, nottingham, birmingham

If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? ucl

If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight? ucl

General Comments & Advice for others: try to think logically before speaking and take all the time u need. reread over the text they give u at the pre interview and make sure u understand it all

Anonymous #3
Report 4 months ago
Decision:
Predicted Decision: Rejected from Pool

Course: Computer Science
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Churchill
Offer conditions:

GCSE Grades: 9999999988A*
AS Subjects & Grades (include UMS if you have it): Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Philosophy, EPQ
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A*A*
Other Qualifications: N/A
IB (with predicted score): N/A
Other: N/A

Reflection
Strengths Grades, Possibly Interview (?)

Weaknesses: TMUA (7.0)

(include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 9=excellent):
TMUA - scored a 7.0. The average offer holder is usually a 7.2.

Interview reflection: 7/10 - I was asked a few long questions - I was very lucky with one of them because I had prepared that topic in detail, but was less lucky with the other one (I still think I answered it OK).

Why did you choose your college? Big intake for CS, has large grounds.

What other universities did you apply to? Imperial (Offer), Southampton (Offer), UCL, Kings

If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? Imperial or UCL (likely UCL)

If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight? Imperial if STEP goes ok

General Comments & Advice for others: Do timed practice for admissions tests, and try to emulate the stress of it - I was too relaxed when practicing and the stress got to me in the exam.
r00145
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Decision: Accepted from Pool
Predicted Decision: Rejected from Pool

Course: Mathematics
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Emmanuel, pooled to Magdalene
Offer conditions:

Home, EU or International (Country): International (Vietnam)
GCSE Grades: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades: Maths (A* Achieved), Further Maths, History, Physics (A*A*A* Predicted)
Other Qualifications:
Other:

Reflection
Strengths: Pretty good personal statement, good teacher references, some cool supercurriculars.

Weaknesses: Lack of Olympiad achievements (some say it doesn't matter, but I'm listing it as a weakness)

N/A, but STEP will be spicy
Interview reflection:
First interview was 5/9, a bit shaky on questions but I was able to respond to their hints. Second interview was probably 7/9, I found the questions much easier. Overall I was quite burnt out on interview day due to grinding non-stop for 2+ months, so I definitely was not at my best condition.
Seems like a friendly place, and I liked the college when I visited in person.
Warwick (Offer), Imperial, UCL, KCL, MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Caltech
Warwick/Imperial or whichever American university accepts me
Warwick/Imperial or whichever American university accepts me

Have fun with it, I guess, and definitely leave at least a week of rest before your interview so you're not burnt out lol.
Last edited by r00145; 3 months ago
Anonymous #4
Report 4 months ago
Decision: Pending
Predicted Decision: Rejection 10000%

Offer conditions:-

Home, EU or International (Country): International
GCSE Grades: A*A*AAAAAABC
AS achieved Grades (include UMS if you have it): AAABC (PUM:90)
A2 achieved Grades: A*A*A (PUM:91)
Other Qualifications:-
Other:

Reflection
Strengths: Smiling during the interviews😁, absolutely nothing else😭

Weaknesses: Interviews, IGCSEs, A level subject combination(although some say it has no bearing), the b and c in my 4th and 5th AS level subjects.

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment- Cambridge Law Test: (6) I think I produced a clear and balanced argument although it was quite simplistic and short, writing 2 arguments supporting my stance and 1 against. While the structure and clarity might have been adequate, i did make 2 grammatical errors. Hence the 6.

Interview reflection:
Interview 1-(4) The interview started of alright, i answered some of the questions on the pre reading material fairly well? But as the scenarios were introduced my arguments began to crumble. I eventually got through a few scenarios but i could just tell that i did not do very well.

Interview 2-(3) oh my where do i even start with this one. The interviewers really seemed to dislike my answers, wincing and cringing a lot ahhhhh. I think my score in this interview will be dependant on whether the interviewer actually understood the arguments i was making as i feel like i introduced a few interesting ideas. The interviewer asked me to clarify and repeat myself a couple of times after which i expanded my answer, i really hope they understood me😭.

Why did you choose your college? Central and close to the Law faculty

What other universities did you apply to? UCL, Exeter, Bristol, Manchester

If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? Not gonna happen haha

While my performance at interview was absolutely abysmal I still have no regrets for applying. The process helped me realise how much i really love my subject and will definitely motivate me to do well and invest all of my effort at whichever uni i end up going to.

One thing i do regret however is not staying calm during the interviews, i really didn’t do my abilities any justice.

if you meet the required grades, however bad your gcses are do apply! The process itself is extremely enriching irrespective of the outcome!!

Good luck y'all!

Probably not gonna ask haha, don’t want to have a permanent reminder of my incompetence.
Broque_
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Decision: ACCEPTED
Predicted Decision: rejected from pool

Course: Engineering
College: Jesus College
Offer conditions: A*A*AB in Further Maths, Physics, Maths and Economics respectively
By what method did you hear: Email at 9:30am
Where were you when you heard: In the living room babysitting my sister

School Type: State
GCSE Grades: 99999999997
A2 Subjects & Achieved Grades: A*A*A*A* in Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Economics (predicted)

Reflection
Strengths: Strong grade profile. Good PS. Did a few questions well in the interview but not entirely sure if that was impressive as they felt preliminary.

Weaknesses: Average ENGAA performance. Average interview. Didn’t mess up anything badly but didn’t impressively answer any of the difficult questions. Felt like I had a good performance in the interviews overall, but had a difficult time responding well to their hints, which of course is the biggest part of the interviews.

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment:
Engaa. Probably scored between 4.0-6.0 on the three sections. Remember having to guess a very large number </3

Interview reflection: Probably a 6, thought it went well but didn’t feel like I impressed them. Hard to tell with STEM interviews, they’re not very encouraging lol.

(Reflecting on this 2 days before decisions, I want to say that my opinion on my application has hugely changed over the past 6 weeks and if I had written this right after my interview, I would’ve felt I had done the best I could and I had a good chance at being considered.)

Why did you choose your college? Cute library. Free laundry.

What other universities did you apply to? Bristol (A*AA), Imperial (A*A*AA), Durham (AAB (contextual)) and Loughborough (Waiting)
What's your insurance choice? Bristol insurance. Imperial firm if I get rejected from Cambridge.

General Comments & Advice for others: Stop sneaking on these threads, it will tire your brain out. TSR is not for the weak or sensible. Revise for your predicted grades exams. Don’t worry too much about your PS till summer. Start ENGAA revision at least a month early. Continue practicing difficult pre-uni maths and physics questions for the interview. Read a book or something idk, the pandemic didn’t give my year group a lot of choice
Last edited by Broque_; 3 months ago
blueforest313
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Decision: ACCEPTED!! (still have to take STEP but it's a good beginning)
Predicted Decision: Accepted from pool

College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Christ's
By what method did you hear (Email/Letter/UCAS/owl): -
Where were you when you heard: -

Home, EU or International (Country): EU (Belgium)
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/Other): State (I guess? There's no clear distinction in Belgium)
GCSE Grades:-
AS Subjects & Grades (include UMS if you have it):-
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades:-
Other Qualifications: Belgium secondary diplome (maths-sciences 8h)
IB (with predicted score):-
Other:-

Reflection
Strengths: Some olympiad experiences

Weaknesses: no support from my current school so it's a bit of a struggle to get everything arranged myself, don't actually think I belong to the top 0.01% (or smth like that) who go to Cambridge

N/A

Interview reflection:
6: I didn't have mental breakdown during my interview, but it came close to that.
The questions I prepared in advance were pretty good, but I took a lot of time on really simple questions during the interview itself due to stress. Furthermore, I made a really stupid mistake on integration which really shouldn't have been made (I can still remember the incredulity dripping from the interviewer's expression)

It seemed like a really pretty college, heard that it was also quite friendly and had a strong academic reputation. The location was also perfect.

None till now, probably some other EU universities around April

Either TU Delft, some uni in Belgium or some uni in France/Switzerland (basically some country where they speak either Dutch or French, the only two languages I can speak relatively decently)

see the above

Eumm I don't know whoops... Maybe that it's really important to practice with the tech stuff needed for the interview to make sure everything goes 'smoothly' during the interview. And maybe also that practicing talking English to yourself/someone else is a reallg good preparation for international/EU students (one downside perhaps was that my parents became a bit worried about me when I started mumbling to myself all day long... but alright, it ended well)
Last edited by blueforest313; 3 months ago
RANDOLF3336
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
just joined TSR today and it seems like such an amazing resource, so unfortunate that i didn’t stumble upon it earlier.

Decision: -
Predicted Decision: REJECTION

Course: LAW
By what method did you hear (Email/Letter/UCAS/owl): EMAIL

Home (Country): HOME
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/Other): STATE
GCSE Grades: 8887776665
AS Subjects & Grades (include UMS if you have it): -
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades: A*A*A

Reflection
Strengths: I think my second interview went alright, but one can never tell. My CLT seemed to go alright but my conclusion was rushed and i only ended up writing about 550 words F.

Weaknesses: The first interview was sooooooo bad. My grades are well below the average Cambridge applicant.

(include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 9=excellent) CLT (5): Like i said above i felt it was alright, in terms of clarity, but at the same time my essay was outrageously short. So I’m not sure how well i have done in terms of explaining my arguments.

Interview reflection:

Interview 1(4)

Interview 2(6)

One of the 'friendlier' colleges and relatively small in size.

What other universities did you apply to? Exeter, Nottingham, Durham and Kcl

-
IDK YET

Last edited by RANDOLF3336; 3 months ago
Anonymous #5
Report 3 months ago
Decision:
Predicted Decision: rejected

Course: computer science
College: Interviewed at Christs
Offer conditions:
By what method did you hear:

School Type: sixth form
GCSE Grades: 99999998766
A2 Subjects & Achieved Grades: A*A*A*A* + S in STEP II + 2 in STEP III
Reflection
Strengths: work ethic
Weaknesses: don’t ‘tick’ boxes
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment: TMUA: 7.9
Interview reflection: solid

What other universities did you apply to? Imperial
What's your insurance choice? Imperial

Most of the best applicants don’t get into Cambridge or Oxford, for some questionable reasons, so make sure you find a different choice you like.
livsample04
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Decision: pending
Predicted Decision: hopefully pooled then accepted ?

Course: Education and the Arts
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Queens'
By what method did you hear (Email/Letter/UCAS/owl): -

Home, EU or International (Country): UK
GCSE Grades: 9999999888
AS Subjects & Grades (include UMS if you have it): Ancient Greek
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades: Latin, RS and English Lit - 3A*s
Currently doing an EPQ but not been marked yet
Other Qualifications: Grade 8 with distinction in LAMDA exams
IB (with predicted score): -
Other: -

Reflection
Strengths:
I enjoyed the interview process! I had heard gruesome stories from older friends who despised the process but I finished the interview sad that it was over! Also, I think I had a strong personal statement and SAQ, with a genuine interest for the subject and the unique nature of the Cambridge course. Moreover, I was happy that I was able to mention the extra reading I had done around my subject and my hopes for what I would give to college life.

Weaknesses:
The time! I felt as though I was only touching on subjects that interested me and I was not able to go into such depth and show the full extent of my interest.

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc): N/A

Interview reflection: 8

It seems as though it has a friendly atmosphere and the Queens' JCR tiktok showed how beautiful the college is. In addition, I spoke to a current student studying my course and she seemed ti be extremely happy.

Warwick, Exeter, Bristol and Edinburgh

Edinburgh - ABB

Nowhere! I'll re-apply and try again next year

Be confident! Everyone who applies is intelligent, it's just about showcasing this. If you are nervous, chances are you will not perform to the best of your abilities and therefore the interviewers may not see your true potential. I feel as though I was confident, and even if I do not get in, I will be able to be proud that I showed my true identity.

Any official feedback received from your college: Will do soon!
Last edited by livsample04; 3 months ago
romaz
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Decision: Rejection
Predicted Decision: Rejection

Course: Land Economy
College: Christ's
Offer conditions:
By what method did you hear: email
Where were you when you heard: in Economics class

School Type: State

GCSE Grades: 99998877777

A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades: A*A*AA* Maths,Geog,Econ,EPQ
Reflection: Not as high as I want. Iopefully, will achieve higher

Strengths: commitment and passion
Weaknesses: only 3 subjects and not the highest grades
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment: TSA: 65 I think
Interview reflection: I had a nice chat with the interviewers I feel alright
What other universities did you apply to? Leeds, PwC w/ Leeds, Bath, LSE
What's your insurance choice? unsure
Unsure
glhf :')))))))))))))))
Any official feedback received from your college: Strong application but not picked up from pool
Last edited by romaz; 3 months ago
DiviFilius14
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Decision: Accepted from Pool (by Girton).
Predicted Decision: Accepted from Pool.

Course: Mathematics (G100).
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Trinity; Girton.
Offer conditions: A*A* (Maths, FM) + A (either Physics or Latin) + 1,1 in STEP 2 and 3.
By what method did you hear (Email/Letter/UCAS/owl): Email.
Where were you when you heard: in a Maths lesson.

Home, EU or International (Country): Home.
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/Other): Private.
GCSE Grades: 99999999999
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades: Maths (A*), Further Maths (A*), Physics (A*), and Latin (A*).

Reflection
Strengths:

I think that I have a very strong paper application, with top grades and a high number of supercurriculars, with olympiad experience in particular.

Weaknesses:

My interview may perhaps let me down.

Interview reflection:

I would give myself a 6 or 7 out of 10. I was rather nervous for the first few minutes, so it seemed that I had no idea what I was doing. I recovered eventually, however, and went on to complete three problems. I was not offered any help from the interviewers, though if I said something incorrect I would be asked to think again, and I would immediately rectify the mistake. At one point I asked for a hint, and the interviewer told me that I had 'already set up everything required to continue'.

I feel as if my performance was not particularly impressive, though, as if I only just kept my head above the water. One of my interviewers was much more encouraging than the other, and I fear that this was because he had already rejected me in his head after the first few minutes...

Trinity has a worldwide reputation as Cambridge's 'maths' college; I feel that I would enjoy the collaborative environment, being surrounded by many other mathematicians. It is also very wealthy, and I heard that a place comes with many other perks, such as a book allowance and even language lessons.

Warwick (offer), Imperial (offer), St. Andrews (offer), Bath (pending).

Warwick.

At first it was going to be Warwick, but now I think either Imperial or St. Andrews.

For Maths, once you have a 9 at GCSE and two A* predictions at A-Level, all that really matters for your application is doing as many problems as possible in Sixth Form. Olympiads, mentoring schemes, STEP, MAT, etc. is all beneficial. Try to do some curve-sketching practice too; this helped me enormously for the interview.
Last edited by DiviFilius14; 3 months ago
alexa2406
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Decision: Rejected from Pool (the accuracy tho)
Predicted: Rejected from Pool

Course: Human Social Political Sciences
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): King's
Offer conditions: n/a
Where were you when you heard: at desk

Home, EU or International (Country): International (Singapore)
GCSE Grades: 3A*1A (GCSE were an extra qualification so I only have four)
Other Qualifications: equivalent prediction to A*A*A in the French bac

Reflection
Strengths:
I'm told my PS was very good, wasn't too uncomfortable during the interview, definitely no major disasters
interview performance, grades, recommendation and my personal statement are mentioned positively in the feedback form

Weaknesses:
the interview still feels super unpredictable, and in general I've thought too much about every aspect of my application

written at-interview assessment, no score to compare. I loved the topic I chose but just hope I wasn't shallow in the way I explored it. overall I was happy with what I wrote, I'd give it a 7

Interview reflection:
I'd give it a 6. interviewers were very nice, but was definitely a challenge. I stumbled on a really basic definition and I truly have no idea whether in general it went well or not. I mean I was challenged like they say you're supposed to be but it also felt like I was completely scrambling for answers. By the end I brought up a topic in recent news and I fear I shot myself in the foot.
I was graded a 9 and 8 from each of my interviewers

As soon as I read their website I fell for it, can't really describe it It seems to have a great vibe, had a lot of places for hsps and is the 'most political college' which I feel like is super interesting since that's what I plan on studying... also love the architecture, it's central, close to hsps buildings etc

Warwick (offer) Bath (offer) LSE and UCL in the UK; McGill (offer) and UBC in Canada; and 2 double diplomas with Sciences Po (with Columbia and UBC)

Probably Warwick since it's the easiest offer to meet

McGill or hopefully UCL... if I want to dream big I could say the double diplomas but they're part of the "dream hard to reach" tier (along with Cambridge)
hasn't changed, still hoping for all of these

you are going to overthink your application so much. I would've written this answer a thousand different ways depending on when I did it. the important thing is to pour your best efforts into your application, yes, but then manage to focus on other things (you, your mental health, your grades) while you wait for the decisions.

I'll add other things once we get the decisions

Even though I got rejected I still got pretty far along in the process soo maybe my advice is still good. For people who are considering applying, start doing experiences you can use for your personal statement, even if you don't start writing early it'll help you come up with content. Definitely do practice interviews with someone who knows about the Cambridge requirements and will be harsh on you (to prepare). Don't stress out or overthink the interview once it's over, it'll only stress you out. Finally, there's ultimately some luck involved if you're pooled... I was really expecting there to be a spelled out reason why I was rejected but truth is, there's just a lot of excellent excellent people who apply. No matter how far along you get in the process, there's pride in having gotten this far

Any official feedback received from your college: all their feedback regarding my application is very positive, they said they felt I would make an excellent candidate, but it ultimately it was an exceeding competitive year and I wasn't picked up from the pool
Last edited by alexa2406; 3 months ago
rain12138
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Decision: Accepted
Predicted Decision: Rejected

College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): St Catharine's
Offer conditions: A*A*A including A* in FM and A*A in Economics and Physics in any order, plus grade 1 in STEP II and III
By what method did you hear (Email/Letter/UCAS/owl): email
Where were you when you heard: at home, 11:08 UK time

Home, EU or International (Country): International (China)
GCSE Grades: None
AS Subjects & Grades (include UMS if you have it): Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics AAAA
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades: Maths, Further Maths, Physics A*A*A* (achieved), Economics A* (predicted)
Other Qualifications: IELTS, STEP

Reflection
Strengths:
I think I might be quite good at handling exams and following 'steady' routes, and sometimes I can be imaginative.
Weaknesses:
I'm probably not so good at creativity, also I'm quite lazy to be honest.
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc): none

Interview reflection:
Perhaps 6-7 out of 10. I pretty much failed the first one as I didn't complete any of the two questions. I was extremely nervous and I didn't find out the solution which would normally take only a minute to figure out. I guess I wasn't prepared enough.
Pure instinct. After ruling out some of the most competitive and some that don't really attract me, I quickly found a nice choice.
Imperial, Warwick, UCL, Edinburgh, Toronto, HKUST
I haven't heard from Imperial but I've already got an offer from Warwick. I think if Imperial gives me an offer I will pick them as insurance choice.
Imperial, I think.
For maths (and other science applicants), be creative and try to develop ways of thinking in your subject during your high school studies. Reading books should help. The actual interview will be completely different from paper-based exams. So maybe practise for some times if you have someone to give a mock, or just try to explain your thoughts at the mirror. Most importantly, stay chilled. You are an excellent person.
Last edited by rain12138; 3 months ago
vr123
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Decision: Offer:afraid:

Predicted Decision: Rejection

College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Homerton

International (Country): India
GCSE Grades: A*A*A*A*A*AAABC
AS Grades : aaabc [top 3 PUM:91]
A2 Achieved Grades:A*A*A* [PUM:91]

Reflection
Strengths: I don’t think I have any unfortunately😭.

Weaknesses: CLT, Second Interview, GCSEs, the AS grade c.

At-Interview Admissions Assessment:

CLT(5)- I felt I did alright, nothing special. Th structure I followed was, in my opinion, clear and easy follow. I also think the manner in which I interpreted the question was quite interesting( I’m not sure if this will work to my advantage, it might very well be seen as unfocused by the admission tutors and prove to be a disadvantage)

Interview reflection:

Interview 1(6) : This was the interview with the DOS and largely based on a case I got as per reading. I felt this one went relatively alright. The initial questions about the case were based primarily on the interpretation of the case material, but these were in my opinion, just to ensure that I had a basic grasp of the case material. I was then given a number of scenarios, in relatively quick succession. I felt they were looking for a specific answer at the end of each scenario which I don’t know if I reached. I also found some of the more complex scenarios really difficult and my answers were lacking accuracy quite often 😭.

Interview 2(2) : The first part of this interview was an absolute disaster. I don’t know why I was so nervous but I just found really difficult to think logically. I feel like this was because one of the interviewers made a few unjustified interjections while I was talking, I would have had no problem if the rebuttals were valid but he said “my friend at the university of Surrey would disagree with you”. This really threw me as I didn’t know what he wanted and it was very unfortunate I let this rather stupid comment from one of the interviewers cloud my thought process.

I really wanted something away from the centre and one that is large in size. I also really liked how modern it is and the admission staff being so friendly definitely cemented my decision.

What other universities did you apply to? UCL, KCL, Warwick

If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? It’s just not going to happen lol.

If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight? -

(1) Hindsight is always 20/20 so just try to do your best to forget about the interviews as soon as possible because god knows I haven’t and it’s really taken a toll on me.

(2) Try your best not to get too attached to the place because the statistics aren’t really in favour of anyone. This is another fatal mistake I’ve made and I just want to get the decision out of the way so I can move on.

I’ll probably add some stuff a bit later on but wow that was long.

Any official feedback received from your college: I probably won’t be asking for any as I just want to move on but if i do request it I’ll edit it in.
Last edited by vr123; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.5%
The paper was reasonable (68)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16.37%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.36%

Watched Threads