Latent heat of vaporisation

Watch
Heixi
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Why is the calculated value of Lv lower than the actual value ?
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Could you post the question and post what you've tried?
Driving_Mad
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I assume this is a standard question.

Things to think about: is all the energy supplied (e.g. from the heater) transferred to the object being vaporised. Is there any of this energy being dissipated to the surroundings (e.g. due to a lack of insulation).
Heixi
Rep:
(Original post by Driving_Mad)
I assume this is a standard question.

Things to think about: is all the energy supplied (e.g. from the heater) transferred to the object being vaporised. Is there any of this energy being dissipated to the surroundings (e.g. due to a lack of insulation).
I don’t think that would be it . If you use like a Liebig condenser or something the thermal energy losses would be eliminated
Heixi
Rep:
(Original post by Callicious)
Could you post the question and post what you've tried?
Say you have an enclosed Liebig condenser and you heat something . You would measure the time taken to boil it , measure the mass and you would calculate specific latent heat by measuring voltage and current .
I don’t think heat or energy transfer would have an impact on the latent heat of vaporisation so what else could you say would be a factor ?
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Heixi)
Say you have an enclosed Liebig condenser and you heat something . You would measure the time taken to boil it , measure the mass and you would calculate specific latent heat by measuring voltage and current .
I don’t think heat or energy transfer would have an impact on the latent heat of vaporisation so what else could you say would be a factor ?
The condenser method doesn't necessitate knowing the method by which the fluid used to produce the vapor is heated (https://aapt.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1119/1.1933207) it seems. What matters in that case is the amount of energy the vapour produces on condensation. You could heat it with the most inefficient awful process possible, but as long as the same mass of vapour reaches the condenser and room temperature stays the same, it's all irrelevant, it seems (according to that one source I found that references a method using that condenser specifically.)

I wouldn't expect the condenser to rely on the method by which the vapour was produced- just by how it's cooled, and that's unique to the condenser.

With regard to the condenser, though. To have your calculated value lower than the actual value, there'd have to be losses somewhere in your condenser apparatus (i.e. condensation isn't delivering the "correct" heat.)

That's easily reconcilable: radiative losses, conductive losses to the air, you name it- it's there.
Heixi
Rep:
(Original post by Callicious)
The condenser method doesn't necessitate knowing the method by which the fluid used to produce the vapor is heated (https://aapt.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1119/1.1933207) it seems. What matters in that case is the amount of energy the vapour produces on condensation. You could heat it with the most inefficient awful process possible, but as long as the same mass of vapour reaches the condenser and room temperature stays the same, it's all irrelevant, it seems (according to that one source I found that references a method using that condenser specifically.)

I wouldn't expect the condenser to rely on the method by which the vapour was produced- just by how it's cooled, and that's unique to the condenser.

With regard to the condenser, though. To have your calculated value lower than the actual value, there'd have to be losses somewhere in your condenser apparatus (i.e. condensation isn't delivering the "correct" heat.)

That's easily reconcilable: radiative losses, conductive losses to the air, you name it- it's there.
I see , thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (30)
7.06%
October 2021 (194)
45.65%
November 2021 (44)
10.35%
December 2021 (57)
13.41%
January 2021 (47)
11.06%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.18%