The Student Room Group

The Ballon D'or - a serious award?

The Ballon D'Or award is over and surprise, Messi wins again. The 7th time in total. But is this really a decent winner anyway? this is an award for a whole year, a whole season and since Messi moved to PSG, he has not really performed at world class level, while the runner up Lewandowski, who scored 41 goals in Bundesliga to set a new record up and still scored in Champions League and Bundesliga, was still at a high level.

Is a victory with a football and national team more important (Messi won the Copa America with Argentina in June 2021) by any chance? if so, why Iniesta or Manuel Neuer did not get the award in 2010 or 2014 (World Cup winners!) or Sneijder in 2010 (Champions League winner in 2010 and runner up with the Netherlands at the World Cup)? are the criteria for the award too randomly and the journalists, national managers and captains too subjective? Was Jorginho really the third best player in 2021?

What do you guys think?
Who were your best three players in 2021?

Spoiler

Best three players in 2021.
LewanGOALski
Haaland
Salah

In my opinion I mean Messi was good but not great. Ronaldo great but not exceptional. Mbappe and neymar were very good as was sterling but thete are my top three.
It's a biased award, which is why Messi has won it during the previous years. How Lewandowski did not win it I will not understand. The rankings were atrocious too.

How was Mason Mount even nominated for the top 30? He's a great player, but that was pushing the boat too far.

They always try to find a way to justify giving the award to Messi. The Ballon D'Or has lost its prestige.

Original post by Kentinho99
Best three players in 2021.
LewanGOALski
Haaland
Salah

In my opinion I mean Messi was good but not great. Ronaldo great but not exceptional. Mbappe and neymar were very good as was sterling but thete are my top three.

Haaland over Benzema?
Original post by Driving_Mad
It's a biased award, which is why Messi has won it during the previous years. How Lewandowski did not win it I will not understand. The rankings were atrocious too.

How was Mason Mount even nominated for the top 30? He's a great player, but that was pushing the boat too far.

They always try to find a way to justify giving the award to Messi. The Ballon D'Or has lost its prestige.

Haaland over Benzema?

I mean its a close one between the two but you see i have watched more bundesliga than la liga so but i hear benzema has been on🔥
Original post by Kallisto
The Ballon D'Or award is over and surprise, Messi wins again. The 7th time in total. But is this really a decent winner anyway? this is an award for a whole year, a whole season and since Messi moved to PSG, he has not really performed at world class level, while the runner up Lewandowski, who scored 41 goals in Bundesliga to set a new record up and still scored in Champions League and Bundesliga, was still at a high level.

Is a victory with a football and national team more important (Messi won the Copa America with Argentina in June 2021) by any chance? if so, why Iniesta or Manuel Neuer did not get the award in 2010 or 2014 (World Cup winners!) or Sneijder in 2010 (Champions League winner in 2010 and runner up with the Netherlands at the World Cup)? are the criteria for the award too randomly and the journalists, national managers and captains too subjective? Was Jorginho really the third best player in 2021?

What do you guys think?
Who were your best three players in 2021?

Spoiler

salah should have won it imo but epl players never win it even though its easily the best league
It's voted for by random journalists so it's always susceptible to bias and outside influence.
Original post by Driving_Mad
(...)

(...)

Original post by sr90
It's voted for by random journalists so it's always susceptible to bias and outside influence.

That is exactly what I think and you two guys nailed it. What I miss is a clear and basis of valuation with comparable criteria. How can players in defensive compared with players in midfield and in striker positions and the goalkeepers? what can be rated and valued? do the journalists, the captains and managers of national teams have concrete guidelines? no, obviously not, it is subjective. It is a popularity contest. That's it!

@Driving_Mad what can be done to get the prestige back? when got it lost in your opinion?

Quick Reply

Latest