The Student Room Group

My English lit essay is terrible, could someone critique it?

Hi, i'd really appreciate it if someone could give me any kind of critique on my essay, I'm having the most trouble figuring out how to add in criticism and context (also both my intro and conclusion are pretty terrible) if anybody has any advice on how to make this better id be incredibly grateful:
'Explore how Shakespeare presents the difference between appearance and reality in King Lear'

The theme of appearance versus reality is overarching in King Lear, a large portion of the tension, tragedy and drama are created as characters deceive one another in order to achieve status or power, nothing is as it seems. Both Lear and Gloucester undergo journeys in which they must learn to differentiate between outward appearances and true intentions. Reality is presented as something painful, something which can only be discovered through suffering but also as something which must be hidden in case it is not approved of, as not disguising reality can lead to grave consequences, such as the case of Cordelia. Many characters in King Lear appear to be what they are not, leading to conflict. Appearances, on the other hand, are embellished to shroud true intentions, allowing evil characters to conduct their acts under the cover of fanciful language and dazzling outer appearances.
Shakespeare presents appearances in King Lear as something that cannot be trusted. Goneril and Regan's decorative proclamations of love are embellished, Goneril, in hyperbolic verse, claims to love Lear 'Dearer than eyesight, space and liberty', yet by the end of the first scene she plots against Lear with Regan, 'We must do something'. This first scene solidifies to the audience that appearances, especially in language, cannot be trusted. Regan and Goneril wear dazzling clothing, something which will be linked to vindictive and deceiving characteristics, Lear discovers 'furred gowns hide all' in his madness, a reference to the sisters and how their outward appearance hides their true intentions. Appearance is once again shown to be untrustworthy when Edmund plots against Gloucester and Edmund, his soliloquy in Act 1 Scene 1 presents his true intentions, 'Edgar, I must have your land', yet when Gloucester enters he deceives him effortlessly. While the use of verse elsewhere in the play implies deception, here, Edmund uses prose to fake concern for his father, 'I find it not fit for your o'erlooking', once more language and appearance is untrustworthy. Edmund's deception is effective as Gloucester does not know enough about reality to consider the fact that Edgar may be lying, his trust in appearance is what leads to his demise.

During the storm, upon the heath, Lear's rejection by his daughters has forced him to see reality, reality is presented by Shakespeare as something that is painful to face, Lear, like Gloucester, sees reality clearly only in a time of great peril. Upon the heath, Lear is becoming undone, 'Blow, winds...Rage! Blow!', the language used here creates the sound of a crack of thunder, Lear's repetition of 'blow' suggests his confused and desperate mental state, hinting at the madness yet to come. Upon the heath, Lear rejects any outer signifiers of royalty, 'Off, off! You lendings' he says as he tears off his clothes. Lear decides man is really a 'bare, forked animal', he then seeks to discover what it feels like to have and be nothing. While this may appear to be merely a symptom of Lear's developing madness, Lear's insistence upon becoming like Poor Tom can be seen as him attempting to discover reality, to discover what man truly is, to do this he must become an 'unaccommodated man' free from any 'furred gowns' which 'hide all'. When Lear eventually recognises reality, his madness takes ahold, the gift of sight comes with a cost. 'They told me I was everything: 'tis a lie, I am no ague-proof' Lear recognises, in a time where the monarchy was of central importance and many people still believed in the notion of divine right, this may have been a poignant statement, Lear realises that he is merely a man and that his majestic clothing does not give him any kind of immunity against nature, age or reality. For an audience of 1606 this realisation would have been very relevant as mistrust and theorisation about the tumultuous monarchy was rife. The critic David Scott Kastan characterises the suffering in King Lear as 'uncompensated', but as with Lear and Gloucester, with suffering comes the discovery of reality and truth. Similarly to Lear, Gloucester must face pain and peril in order to see reality, only once he has lost his eyes can he 'see' clearly, nearer the end of the play Gloucester realises, 'I stumbled when I saw', suggesting that the pain that he went through lead to him being able to recognise reality.

Shakespeare presents reality as something which must be hidden but also as something that is virtuous. Virtuous characters such as Edgar and Kent assume disguises in order to survive in the tumultuous world without fear of imprisonment or banishment. The world of King Lear is hostile to truth and therefore is hostile to reality. Kent disguises himself as Caius in order to serve Lear, he dresses himself in peasant clothing, plain clothing becomes synonymous with good intentions and truthfulness throughout the play - upon the heath, Kent, the Fool and Edgar assume modest dress as they attempt to help Lear, plain clothes are associated with reality and goodness. Edgar as 'Poor Tom' links reality to virtue and appearance to corruption when he creates the story of Poor Tom, painting him as a lustful and corrupt man who had 'three suits to his back, six shirts to his body', suggesting that with decorative appearances comes evil. Cordelia is banished for speaking the truth while also attempting to expose what the critic Frank Kermode dubbed 'their rhetorical falsity', Cordelia's virtue is shown through her refusal to cloak reality for personal gain.
In conclusion, Shakespeare presents appearance as something which is untrustworthy, merely a cloak for evil to do its work, the audience learns to mistrust verse and fanciful outward appearances in favour of plain clothing and prose. The journey to reality is a painful one, resulting in madness for some and physical punishment for others

Quick Reply