The Student Room Group

Milk makes me sick but not lactose intolerant

I’m not lactose intolerant but milk makes me sick. I can’t drink even the smallest amount otherwise I feel sick or am sick. I love milk so it’s not that I dislike it but why does milk make me sick?? Non dairy mills are fine but it’s dairy milk but I am not lactose intolerant.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’m not lactose intolerant but milk makes me sick. I can’t drink even the smallest amount otherwise I feel sick or am sick. I love milk so it’s not that I dislike it but why does milk make me sick?? Non dairy mills are fine but it’s dairy milk but I am not lactose intolerant.

Why are you so determined not to be lactose intolerant? It sounds like to me as though your body is rejecting it because it is (dare I say it) lactose intolerant.
If it were an allergy, it would be the protein in milk you couldn't eat. But also, if you had a milk allergy, it would be expressed more so as swelling of the throat, itchy mouth/skin and/or death.
If drinking milk makes you sick, intolerance or not, you should stop drinking it to avoid long term damage to your body.
Reply 2
Original post by Anholm
Why are you so determined not to be lactose intolerant? It sounds like to me as though your body is rejecting it because it is (dare I say it) lactose intolerant.
If it were an allergy, it would be the protein in milk you couldn't eat. But also, if you had a milk allergy, it would be expressed more so as swelling of the throat, itchy mouth/skin and/or death.
If drinking milk makes you sick, intolerance or not, you should stop drinking it to avoid long term damage to your body.

I’m convinced it’s not lactose intolerant as I went to the GP and they said I wasn’t. But didn’t actully state what was wrong. They also told me to stop drinking milk ( which I have. I have oat milk) but they never said why. I had bloods done etc but they came back as not lactose intolerant so I’m confused. These tests where done about a year ago. And so I have no clue why I can’t drink milk.
But yes I have stopped drinking milk but just have no clue why this happens.
I’m convinced it’s not lactose intolerant as I went to the GP and they said I wasn’t. But didn’t actully state what was wrong. They also told me to stop drinking milk ( which I have. I have oat milk) but they never said why. I had bloods done etc but they came back as not lactose intolerant so I’m confused. These tests where done about a year ago. And so I have no clue why I can’t drink milk.

Lactose intolerance is not diagnosed via a blood test
Reply 4

Drinking too much milk is hard for the body to process and store. Also, the rapid pH change in the stomach after drinking milk may cause you to vomit.
Reply 5
Original post by black tea
Lactose intolerance is not diagnosed via a blood test

It can be. You get given a lactose drink and then bloods are taken to see how much blood glucose is in the blood. Unless that was for something different but that’s what my gp did.
It can be. You get given a lactose drink and then bloods are taken to see how much blood glucose is in the blood. Unless that was for something different but that’s what my gp did.

Fair enough. I was told that test is no longer used as it is inaccurate.
Reply 7
Original post by Anholm
Drinking too much milk is hard for the body to process and store. Also, the rapid pH change in the stomach after drinking milk may cause you to vomit.

Ahh ok that makes sense. Will definitely avoid milk but was just curious why this happens.
Reply 8
Original post by black tea
Fair enough. I was told that test is no longer used as it is inaccurate.

Yeah I heard that. I know someone with lactose intolerance who didn’t have it done and another who did. I had it about a year ago but that could have been the issue. If they are not accurate could have come back wrong. Who knows. But I will avoid milk. Even if I don’t know the full cause

Quick Reply

Latest