How did you detect fake friends and escape?

Watch
JVM2020
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to know how many people managed to escape fake friends.

Tell me the signs they were fake and how you successfully got out. Some groups are like a secret society, a cult and don't want victims escaping because an oath is sworn.
0ptics
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
They only came to me for stuff like homework, schoolwork etc. Though, what really did it is how they isolate me from every activity and they don’t even deny it themselves. “You’re in spectate mode” was the last thing they said to me before I left their group. BTW, they were only being blunt because they realised how socially naive I was, and damn right they were about that, considering I didn’t see most of the above as a red flag. I don’t understand this mentality at all, but it happened…

As for how I left the group, I stopped conversing with them, though, that was hard to do because, although, they treated me like the dirt on their shoe, they still treated me better than other people did…
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JVM2020)

Tell me the signs they were fake and how you successfully got out. Some groups are like a secret society, a cult and don't want victims escaping because an oath is sworn.
I found it was when people started saying that I couldn’t tell anyone else about what they said, including my parents. Obviously you should respect someone’s privacy, but if they make you keep secrets that you don’t feel comfortable with, that’s a big red flag.

In terms of getting out, I just gradually slowed down contact - taking longer to reply to messages and never messaging first. If I saw them in person I would say a quick ‘hi’ and continue walking.
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
None of them kidnapped me. But the signs are they always used me for homework help and other help because I'm very generous and I knew they talked about how much I sucked behind my back... I don't like that kind of negativity in my life so I stopped talking to them. Never felt better ngl... it hurt at the beginning though.
JVM2020
Rep:
Thanks for the testimonials guys. Wish you all the best!

When you leave fake friends, they will be hurting because they have brought their loss on themselves. You need friends who will build you up.
Presslyyy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I had this friend group and a few particular girls would talk crap behind each and everyone one of us backs, we never used each other for anything I guess, some of us just can’t keep peoples names out their mouths. But anyway I just stopped talking to them but iam still friends with most of the girls from my old group, we just found people to replace them.
Last edited by Presslyyy; 1 month ago
JVM2020
Rep:
(Original post by Presslyyy)
I had this friend group and a few particular girls would talk crap behind each and everyone one of us of our backs, we never used each other for anything I guess, some of us just can’t keep peoples names out their mouths. But anyway I just stopped talking to them but iam still friends with most of the girls from my old group, we just found people to replace them.
They need to learn to hold their tongues
Last edited by JVM2020; 1 month ago
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JVM2020)

I realised when they started crying when they were in the wrong, it had been years of me always in the wrong, so I told them to suck it up and got out. First time I stood up for myself and no regrets!
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Friends that always tried to put me down to others, either in person or behind my back. Teasing/Banter is one thing, but we're talking genuine attempts to always keep someone in their place and embarrass them and eventually I asked myself plainly why would I associate with such people.

Ended in minor but worthwhile violence for the main one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (39)
22.81%
Note taking apps (5)
2.92%
Flashcards (31)
18.13%
Revision guides (5)
2.92%
Past papers (85)
49.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.51%

Watched Threads