Clubbing alone as a girl

Watch
alicelilley
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it a good idea to go clubbing on my own? I've never been before, I'm a girl, I'm 18 and I live in London.
None of my friends are 18 yet and don't have fake IDs.
I'm fine going to places alone and don't really feel awkward or care about being alone, I enjoy being alone tbh.

My only worry is if it's safe and if my parents find out.
How to deal with parents and nasty men?
(Also I try to stay around groups of girls when I'm out)
username5857626
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Considering spiking and dodgy men etc. I'd advise you to go with someone, but up to you.
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alicelilley)
Is it a good idea to go clubbing on my own? I've never been before, I'm a girl, I'm 18 and I live in London.
I'm fine going to places alone and don't really feel awkward or care about being alone, I enjoy being alone tbh.

I'd go with someone, wait until your friends turn 18. All sorts can happen on a night out, and it's best to have someone looking out for you
alicelilley
Rep:
(Original post by Bronfenbrennerzy)
Considering spiking and dodgy men etc. I'd advise you to go with someone, but up to you.
Yah that's what I'm worried about bc I hate men but I want to danceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
alicelilley
Rep:
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
I'd go with someone, wait until your friends turn 18. All sorts can happen on a night out, and it's best to have someone looking out for you
Thank u I'll get them fake ID for christmas present hahahhaha
(I'm joking I'm not going to do that)
NonIndigenous
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Not recommended at all especially if you are female and haven't ever done it before.

Why do you want to go clubbing alone so badly anyway? What's the rush? Or the craving?
Last edited by NonIndigenous; 1 month ago
alicelilley
Rep:
(Original post by NonIndigenous)
Not recommended at all especially if you are female and haven't ever done it before.

Why do you want to go clubbing alone so badly anyway? What's the rush? Or the craving?
There are zero parties at my school it's so boring and I find my own company more fun sometimes. I like going places on my own but clubbing seems a bit scary especially out in central London. I just always thought being a teenager would be fun but it hasn't so I want to start finally going out and doing things.
Especially because I'm already 18 so
NonIndigenous
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
There are zero parties at my school it's so boring and I find my own company more fun sometimes. I like going places on my own but clubbing seems a bit scary especially out in central London. I just always thought being a teenager would be fun but it hasn't so I want to start finally going out and doing things.
Especially because I'm already 18 so
Ok, that sounds more reasonable.

If you aren't planning on drinking, then the risks are much lower. If you are, it depends how experienced you are drinking. Don't mix alcohols, firstly, and I wouldn't drink more than 2-3 cocktails if it's your first time either. And never take your eye off your drink.

Opt for a slightly higher quality night club as well if you can, with slightly better security and clientele. You have some clubs that are dedicated to specific dance styles like salsa, that offer evening classes as well before the actual 'clubbing' starts. I know nothing about salsa, but I know that those clubs tend to be a little more classy (and not expensive either) from my experience. They're not as packed with horny and annoying teenagers trying to get laid at any expense like it's a competition, and you actually have room to move around & dance. That is instead of the "trample of be trampled" environment in most stereotypical night clubs. They do tend to attract just slightly older people though, maybe mid-twenties upwards. But regular night clubs also attract them, except they try to hide it and catfish you more often instead.

Have an exit strategy in case things go wrong. Have a friend (any friend) to check in with you maybe once per hour, let her/him know when you get back home safe. Have enough money on your card for an uber, and/or backup cash in case you loose your phone or card.

I could say lots more but other women here will do a better job than me of filling you in on all the details of avoiding having your drink spiked for example. I'd personally avoid accepting drinks from strangers entirely if I were you, just because it's your first time and you will be going alone. Get a feel for the place first, learn the environment, and see how people are behaving there. If you like it then you can obviously go there again in the future.
The RAR
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I suggest not to go to a nightclub at all, ****hole place with all sorts of dodgy and criminal activity going on
Last edited by The RAR; 1 month ago
Greebo85
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Do not go clubbing on your own!
It’s a sad state of affairs but it’s not safe out there. There are lots of good safeguarding tips but one of the biggest is go with mates and watch each other’s backs
Slx.24
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The places in london that do clubbing are all booky ☠

Just don't go clubbing and enjoy life imo 🤣

londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't advise you to go out clubbing during the pandemic.
But it is fine to go out clubbing alone as long as you are streetwise, always use your common sense, have built up your alcohol tolerance and know your limits when it comes to booze.
Before the pandemic, I used to go clubbing alone and with friends.
Have enjoyed attending carnage events all over England and Wales since I was 18.
sufys12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bronfenbrennerzy)
Spiking is very rare and unproven.
Dodgy men are not though...
I would advise against going out in general, but if one was to do so then go accompanied.
NonIndigenous
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sufys12)
I would advise against going out in general, but if one was to do so then go accompanied.
I don't think spiking is that rare. It depends who you are. It is rare for men's drinks to get spiked. Predators target specific kinds of people:
  • looks like it's their first time
  • doesn't know their way around the place
  • unaccompanied
  • drunk & lost
  • are easily flattered/distracted by male attention (such as a fit guy offering a drink)

Easy & gullible targets basically. Your average 25 year old woman hanging out in a pack of 5 friends likely won't be at risk.
NonIndigenous
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AF2Dr)
Seems a bit pointless to me. If you're out by yourself, you will probably just get a lot of guys approaching you. Which is fine if that's what you're looking for, but given you say that you "hate men", it probably isn't.

I don't think it's actively "dangerous" though. I think some of the responses in this thread are a bit over-the-top with regards to the risks etc. I think it would be safe, but that you probably wouldn't enjoy it.
This is true.

I actually heard that gay clubs are a lot more civilised & people normally leave you alone when you ask them to, but I can't speak from experience.
UKGulag
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It’s a total myth this idea that these clubs are full of predatory men. In reality it’s just mostly circles of men or women all on the phone with no clue of any of the records that are being played.
NonIndigenous
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by UKGulag)
It’s a total myth this idea that these clubs are full of predatory men. In reality it’s just mostly circles of men or women all on the phone with no clue of any of the records that are being played.
Most aren't. But you only need one out of a hundred, looking for a specific type of victim.

Most are just annoying, loud, drunk & clumsy, spill their drinks on you (in the student nightclubs). Stupid fights breaking out is more common than that type of targeted sexual assault I think. In the student ones.
username5857626
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sufys12)
I beg to differ. Have you seen the news the past few months?
username5857626
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AF2Dr)
The news stories are clearly trying to create a narrative that spiking is common. To be honest, most of the news stories seemed to be based on unproven anecdotes.
unproven anecdotes? What do you expect? And why would someone want to lie about this?
I think it's good that there's more coverage on this in the news because people get educated about the outcomes.
karl pilkington
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Why do you actually want to go on your own to dance on your own or to meet a guy?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.19%
October 2021 (223)
44.51%
November 2021 (60)
11.98%
December 2021 (64)
12.77%
January 2021 (60)
11.98%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.58%