psychology vs social work courses

Watch
krissy23
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i’m a current junior in high school over in the us, and i’ve been looking into doing my bachelors degree in the uk. the only problem is that i have no idea if i want to apply to social work or psychology courses. i’m really torn in between both fields. i’m scared that when it comes time for applications i’ll choose the wrong courses to apply to. can anyone please give me guidance in this, i’m really struggling.
username5872986
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by krissy23)
i’m a current junior in high school over in the us, and i’ve been looking into doing my bachelors degree in the uk. the only problem is that i have no idea if i want to apply to social work or psychology courses. i’m really torn in between both fields. i’m scared that when it comes time for applications i’ll choose the wrong courses to apply to. can anyone please give me guidance in this, i’m really struggling.
Hey!
I applied to do education and psychology and have friends who have applied to do social care/social work . Both overlap a lot in certain degrees however pure psychology is much more science based than social work or psychology with something else (eg my course). The thing is, it depends what you want to do, many psychology courses in the UK are BPS accredited. This means you can go on to become a psychologist and follow any main psychology career route or masters. With these accredited courses you can also go into social work!

Social work may be a little more specific, so if you know what you want to do then go for it however psychology that is BPS accredited is more likely to leave you with a bit of an open door if you change your mind on what you want to do in the future.
Feel free to ask anything else I love psychology and am more than happy to talk

- Leah
krissy23
Rep:
(Original post by username5872986)
Hey!
I applied to do education and psychology and have friends who have applied to do social care/social work . Both overlap a lot in certain degrees however pure psychology is much more science based than social work or psychology with something else (eg my course). The thing is, it depends what you want to do, many psychology courses in the UK are BPS accredited. This means you can go on to become a psychologist and follow any main psychology career route or masters. With these accredited courses you can also go into social work!

Social work may be a little more specific, so if you know what you want to do then go for it however psychology that is BPS accredited is more likely to leave you with a bit of an open door if you change your mind on what you want to do in the future.
Feel free to ask anything else I love psychology and am more than happy to talk

- Leah
hey! what made you want to do psychology in uni and what’s are the classes like?
maisiex10x
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I do Psychology in Education, would defo recommend! Lmk if you have any Qs xx
krissy23
Rep:
(Original post by maisiex10x)
I do Psychology in Education, would defo recommend! Lmk if you have any Qs xx
Hi! I have a few questions. What are some of the classes that you take and why did you choose to pursue psychology with education?
maisiex10x
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by krissy23)
Hi! I have a few questions. What are some of the classes that you take and why did you choose to pursue psychology with education?
It depends at each uni. Psych in Ed interested me as it meant I could do some education modules, and also Psych was a lot more sciencey so it meant I could dodge some of the hardcore bio stuff, but still get the same qualification as those doing straight Psych x
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you want to go and work in the US you would have to check if you could use a social work degree or if you could do extra study for psychology
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (16)
7.02%
October 2021 (112)
49.12%
November 2021 (23)
10.09%
December 2021 (31)
13.6%
January 2021 (19)
8.33%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (21)
9.21%