The Student Room Group

Which Unis should I go for?

I'm currently set on applying to Imperial, UCL, Bath, Bristol and Edinburgh, and would like some advice regarding my choices.

(PS: My predicted's are A*A*B but hoping to get that B up to an A after the upcoming test, have been revising socks off)

I've heard that Manchester has an excellent course, but I've never really fancied living there. Durham and Warwick also seem to be a great options. Any thoughts, am hoping to send off my UCAS soon :smile:

Also, a related question, Edinburgh or Glasgow for CS? Thank you for your time!
What sort of advice do you want?
Original post by PQ
What sort of advice do you want?

Are my current 5 choices good, would it be sensible to switch any eg how does Edinburgh compare to Manchester/Glasgow. What other Unis are reputable, and should be considered? etc.
Original post by anonymous_lion
Are my current 5 choices good, would it be sensible to switch any eg how does Edinburgh compare to Manchester/Glasgow. What other Unis are reputable, and should be considered? etc.

Good for what? What are you priorities from a university? What are your priorities for a course? What course are you applying for? What do you hope to do after your degree? What sort of town/city/campus are you used to living in/would prefer? What things do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
Original post by PQ
Good for what? What are you priorities from a university? What are your priorities for a course? What course are you applying for? What do you hope to do after your degree? What sort of town/city/campus are you used to living in/would prefer? What things do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

I go to a very reputable sixth form, and hope to study somewhere with an excellent CS (comp sci) course, and excellent prospects, to work at a renowned company like Google (also potentially as a game dev on the side). As a Londoner myself, a bustling location would be ideal, and more practical-heavy courses are preferred. I'd most enjoy a Uni with a good balance of work load and night life/social aspects, though reputation is more important to me. The thing I probably do most in my spare time is game with friends, though I party a fair bit also. I hope this is helpful.
I go to a very reputable sixth form, and hope to study somewhere with an excellent CS (comp sci) course, and excellent prospects, to work at a renowned company like Google (also potentially as a game dev on the side). As a Londoner myself, a bustling location would be ideal, and more practical-heavy courses are preferred. I'd most enjoy a Uni with a good balance of work load and night life/social aspects, though reputation is more important to me. The thing I probably do most in my spare time is game with friends, though I party a fair bit also. I hope this is helpful.

then your choices are fine. Bath might be a bit quiet but the placement year makes it worth visiting/considering. Have you looked at linkedin for googleuk to see where they recruit from?
Original post by PQ
then your choices are fine. Bath might be a bit quiet but the placement year makes it worth visiting/considering. Have you looked at linkedin for googleuk to see where they recruit from?

Not really, that's a good idea. I've heard that Bath and Bristol are both excellent in terms of industry connections. So is Imperial ofc. Thanks for your insight <3
Not really, that's a good idea. I've heard that Bath and Bristol are both excellent in terms of industry connections. So is Imperial ofc. Thanks for your insight <3

As long as the course is accredited and you opt for a year in industry then you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending