getting into a good uni with **** GCSE's

Watch
somemuse
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I got my GCSE results in 2020 and they were really terrible - I'm talking 4's and 5's. I always had an ambition to do well and found the content fairly straight forward but could never get myself to do anything no matter how hard I tried. Then in 2021 I got diagnosed with ADHD and everything started clicking and making sense.

I've seen a so many tiktoks of people getting rejected from uni's despite getting like all 8's and 9's. Do GCSE's really matter? Do I stand a chance getting into a prestigious uni?
somemuse
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
bump
somemuse
Rep:
bumpp
somemuse
Rep:
bumppp
somemuse
Rep:
bumpppp
username5857626
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Stop bumping your bloody thread. They do matter because unis have specific requirements. Can you not resit?
Last edited by username5857626; 1 month ago
mah1000000
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Don't bump your own thread 4 times within 5 minutes of each other within 10 minutes of posting in the first place. Just wait for a response or use google.
Greebo85
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Some unis look at GCSE results as an indicator. If you do really well in your A levels you might be ok but 4s 5s are a little weak
De Montfort University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by somemuse)
So I got my GCSE results in 2020 and they were really terrible - I'm talking 4's and 5's. I always had an ambition to do well and found the content fairly straight forward but could never get myself to do anything no matter how hard I tried. Then in 2021 I got diagnosed with ADHD and everything started clicking and making sense.

I've seen a so many tiktoks of people getting rejected from uni's despite getting like all 8's and 9's. Do GCSE's really matter? Do I stand a chance getting into a prestigious uni?
Hi somemuse!

GCSEs do matter when applying to university. Most universities require you to have at least five GCSEs with grades ranging from A-C (4 and above) and must include Math and English Language. You need to review the entry requirements for the different universities and courses that you are interested in as the requirements differ at times.

Best wishes on your application journey!

- Dennis :grin:
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

The truth is that most universities including Russell Group universities do not care much about GCSE results other than you meeting the entry requirement of 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or about including English Language and usually Maths. Some have higher requirements in English Language and for some subjects Maths. If you dont meet these requirements it is likely to be a straight rejection. The Maths requirement is fairly common for subjects that have a high degree of Maths such as CS, Economics, Engineering, Psychology and Business as well as some others.

Outside of this some include GCSEs in their scoring of applications but it will rarely affect someone gettiing an offer. Oxford, LSE and Imperial tend to look for higher GCSE grades but nearly eveywhere else doesnt.

Your referee needs to mention your ADHD in their reference as an extenuating curcumstance.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Hey, somemuse

GCSEs do matter to an extent when applying to universities, depending on the one you go for. On the whole, however, it's usually down to your A-Level results (or other similar qualifications) and personal statement. The minimum requirements for most universities is to have five or six GCSEs with passing grades (4s and 5s) but it will vary. I didn't do amazing in my GCSEs, but I really put the effort in during my time at Sixth Form and ended up with pretty good grades. My mindset completely changed during those two years which brought me to where I am today.

Hope this helps!
Quinn - Official Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (37)
6.36%
October 2021 (261)
44.85%
November 2021 (70)
12.03%
December 2021 (74)
12.71%
January 2021 (75)
12.89%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (46)
7.9%